What crossover?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What crossover?

I'm planning to build a bluetooth tower speaker, powered with a Dayton AUdio WF60PA plate amp, and with:

- 2 x Dayton Audio RS100-4 - 4" full range
    - 2 x Dayton DC28F-8 tweeter
    - 1 x Dayton SD215A-88 8" DVC Subwoofer

What is the best crossover to use here?

I this an existing project, or a new design?

I have zero expertise in designing speakers or crossovers, but have built several pairs of DIY speakers - all other people's proven and well regarded designs. I started my journey by soaking up the advice and experience of Forum members, in particular, their advice to 'build a existing project' and 'don't use pre-made crossovers'.

If this is a new design, you really need to use a crossover custom designed for those drivers and the proposed cabinet.

If by 'best crossover', you mean 'which pre-made crossover', I can only suggest 'none of them'. They are designed for generic drivers with ideal FR and impedance characteristics and, for example, won't take speaker efficiency differences or using multiple drivers into account.

If you're at the planning stage and haven't bought the drivers, why not look at a similar project by a well regarded designer and think about building that one: you will be much happier and have spent your $$ well.

I can't comment on your driver selection or TTMMW layout, I'm sorry.

I'm sure other PETT members will have some suggestions for you

Good luck

Geoff

Comment

Two tweeters is nearly always a bad idea.
      Check out Wolf's "Zingers" for a (competent) 2-way using that woofer.

Comment

Seems like a tweeter and fullrange per channel? Then a sub?
        A mains
        The Ventures
        Open Invit8tions
        RSR
        Sound Troopers
        Acorns
        DGBG's
        The Monuments

Comment

Originally posted by 6thplanet View Post
          Seems like a tweeter and fullrange per channel? Then a sub?
          Exactly. Think of it as two speakers in one box

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
            Not when the project is to put two speakers in one box

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff Millar View Post
              I this an existing project, or a new design?

I have zero expertise in designing speakers or crossovers, but have built several pairs of DIY speakers - all other people's proven and well regarded designs. I started my journey by soaking up the advice and experience of Forum members, in particular, their advice to 'build a existing project' and 'don't use pre-made crossovers'.

If this is a new design, you really need to use a crossover custom designed for those drivers and the proposed cabinet.

If by 'best crossover', you mean 'which pre-made crossover', I can only suggest 'none of them'. They are designed for generic drivers with ideal FR and impedance characteristics and, for example, won't take speaker efficiency differences or using multiple drivers into account.

If you're at the planning stage and haven't bought the drivers, why not look at a similar project by a well regarded designer and think about building that one: you will be much happier and have spent your $$ well.

I can't comment on your driver selection or TTMMW layout, I'm sorry.

I'm sure other PETT members will have some suggestions for you

Good luck

Geoff
              Hi Geoff,

Its a new project. Im planning to build a single tower-sized bluetooth speaker. The idea is to try to copy what a lot of mass retail brands are doing, but do it myself.

I'm aware of the benefits of a custom crossover, but since this will be learning project for me, I would be happy to go with a pre-made crossover that "will just do" until i can lear enough and be able to perfect it the second time around.

Does this make sense?

Comment

How big is the box? Show us a pic.

Comment

Rado I would go with all 8ohm drivers. Also I would go with the paper full range and silk tweeter. I am not a fan of aluminum or plastic drivers and feel that paper sounds more natural and dynamic in my experience. Since you are planning on using a full range mid I would go with a higher crossover point as well. You may want to seek out a shielded driver if the proximity is close to other electronics, tvs, monitors.

What do you plan on using to drive the subwoofer?

heres my recommendations:

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...8-ohm--295-359

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...eeter--275-075

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...00-hz--260-148

Regards
                  YO

Comment

Rado also, do you realize that the DVC is a 8+8 ohm, there for it can be run either 4ohms (parallel) or 16ohms (series). Not sure if the sensitivity specd is for a single coil or when its running in parallel or series. Might want to consider the 8ohm classic although its about double the price.
                    YO

Comment

Originally posted by Rado View Post

Hi Geoff,

Its a new project. Im planning to build a single tower-sized bluetooth speaker. The idea is to try to copy what a lot of mass retail brands are doing, but do it myself.

I'm aware of the benefits of a custom crossover, but since this will be learning project for me, I would be happy to go with a pre-made crossover that "will just do" until i can lear enough and be able to perfect it the second time around.

Does this make sense?
                      I understand what you mean, but the real risk is that the pre-made crossover will make your speaker sound awful and you won't like it. You will be putting a lot of money, time and effort into your project, so you want to be happy with it.

I've modelled projects in Xsim which compare speakers with custom crossovers versus pre-made and the sims look pretty poor, particularly in frequency response. Maybe they would sound better in real life, maybe not.

Geoff

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
                        +1
                        Wolf has added an option to build the Zingers (originally bookshelf) as a tower. Since you are using the same woofers, your not going to get any more bass out of it just because you have a midrange in between. Additionally, Geoff's point about it possibly not sounding good is even more likely as a three-way speaker is considerably more difficult than a two-way.

If you are not interested in learning how to design a crossover I would definitely go that route. If you are interested in the "learning experience" and want to design a crossover, use the DC28F tweeter and build a two way that would be really similar to the Zingers but you would design your own crossover since it has a different tweeter. (But you could leverage a lot of what Wolf did and get a good result that is your own.)

Comment

Originally posted by Rado View Post

Exactly. Think of it as two speakers in one box
                          If I understand your project correctly, do you propose one large-ish cabinet, with two separate top chambers for the mids and tweeters, then the bottom chamber for the woofer and the Bluetooth amp?

Here's something on a smaller scale from Paul Carmody which might help your thinking. And while you're at it, Paul's website has some great Q and As about speaker design.

https://sites.google.com/site/undefinition/isetta

Geoff

Comment

"two speakers in one box" ...
                            Stereo "separation" is "doable" in something like a soundbar (or even something as smallish as a tabletop radio), but having L/R channels in a tall, narrow, vertical format (like a tower) won't have any separation to speak of. What's your objective. (Again, w/out ANY box dims, it's hard to make recommendations.)

Comment

If you put the tower on its side with the woofer in the middle, you might get something worth building. Stereo seems to be falling out of favor?

Comment

Working...
                              X