Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are there any companies that make custom made Passive Crossovers?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are there any companies that make custom made Passive Crossovers?

Are there any companies that make Custom Passive Crossovers?

For example, if I want a passive crossover with an 18db roll off LP filter at 40Hz. to help limit the low end, is there a company out that that build's stuff like that?

Or is this something I would have to tackle myself?

Thanks,
    Tim

There are, but links to PE's competitors on this forum are not permitted, for understandable reasons.

However, it isn't a cheap exercise.

Or you could post here with your driver(s) and cabinet size and ask kindly for someone to work out the parts values and solder the crossover up yourself, if I can do it anyone can.

Geoff

Comment

A custom crossover for what?
      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...khanspires-but
      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...pico-neo-build
      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...ensation-build

Comment

Originally posted by Timb0 View Post
        if I want a passive crossover with an 18db roll off LP filter at 40Hz. to help limit the low end, is there a company out that that build's stuff like that?
        Or is this something I would have to tackle myself?
        Either way due to the size of the components it would be very expensive. That's why low frequency high pass filters are almost always active.

www.billfitzmaurice.com
        www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Originally posted by Kornbread View Post
          A custom crossover for what?
          A pair of Carvin PA speakers with 2x15",2x8", and a 1" Horn.
          I'm changing the 8" drivers out to Eminence 8" sealed back mids.
          They have some kind of passive crossover in them, but I have no idea what they are. The original Carvin crossovers were replaced by the original owner.

I think the original Crossovers were crossed over at 600Hz and around 4.5Khz.

These are the speakers. Carvin 1588's. I'm getting ready to take them apart soon - we're going to removed the ratfur and coat them in Duratex to match the Subs that I have.
          We do not run the subs inline with them - the subs' signal gets sent from an effects send and the only thing going into the subwoofers is the kick drum and Taurus/bass pedals.

Comment

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
            Either way due to the size of the components it would be very expensive. That's why low frequency high pass filters are almost always active.
            I was afraid of that. I was hoping to get something "in the box".
            Oh, well.

Thanks!

Comment

I have reservations with the dsp408, but it will probably be an economically viable choice when compared to a proper passive crossover, other then needing 6 channels of amplification instead of 2.

Wait around and it may go on sale https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...audio--230-500

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...khanspires-but
              http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...pico-neo-build
              http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...ensation-build

Comment

Another problem is that the bottom end of a woofer's pass-band has large impedance swings, and passive components don't handle that well - at all.
                Odds are, that the 15"ers in that vented box have a Z(impedance) near 4n(ohms) near the tuning freq. (maybe 40Hz or so?), but quite high (like 30ohms or better) just a bit above and below that point (like, near 25Hz and 60Hz).

A "textbook" 3rd order 40Hz HP filter (@ 4n) would be a 670uF series cap, then a 12mH shunt coil (large), followed by a 2000uF series cap.
                What you'd end up with is pretty bad: about -1dB down near 125Hz, basically no change @ 100Hz, about a +2dB BOOST @ 80, +9dB @60, [email protected], and (FINALLY) [email protected], and [email protected]
                Values that MIGHT do what you want, could be: 5000uF series cap, then a 40mH shunt (to ground - can you even find one of those??), then a 1000uF series cap.
                That gives you an HP filter that's -1dB @100Hz, +/-0dB from 80 down to 50Hz, [email protected], [email protected], and [email protected]

Comment

If I'm guessing right, you have a mixer of some sort. The signal for your mains comes out of it, to the amplifier, then to the speakers. If so, then why not an active crossover between the board and mains amplifier?
                  A mains
                  The Ventures
                  Open Invit8tions
                  RSR
                  Sound Troopers
                  Acorns
                  DGBG's
                  The Monuments

Comment

Are you talking about high passing the Carvins? That shouldn't be necessary, your electronic crossover would take care of that. Reading your post it appears that you don't have one. You should. Since you have subs you shouldn't be using 2x15 mains, they're a waste of cartage, but that's a separate subject.

www.billfitzmaurice.com
                    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

There is a guy I used to know, and his listing is still active, but I don't know if he is. He had some serious medical problems. Curtis Custom Crossovers in Saginaw MI

Comment

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
                        Are you talking about high passing the Carvins? That shouldn't be necessary, your electronic crossover would take care of that. Reading your post it appears that you don't have one. You should. Since you have subs you shouldn't be using 2x15 mains, they're a waste of cartage, but that's a separate subject.
                        The only thing going into the sub is the kick and Taurus pedals. I run the subs from an effect send. Essentially, I want to keep the bass guitar and guitar out of the subs completely.
                        . I have five Christie-Vive #CDA2 Class D Amplifiers (OEM Crest ProLight 2.0 amplifiers.)

Two are on monitor duty, which leaves me three amps.

One of these is powering a pair of EAW 18" Subs. SB180's. The signal comes out of an effect send, into a 27-band EQ, then into a Peavy V4x mono active crossover, (which has 40 Hz. HPF engaged) then the crossover is set around 100 to 125.

So the subs are getting between 40hz and 100hz for the kick drum.

The Carvins have not been used yet because I'm afraid the crossovers may go out - I don't trust them at all, since I don't know what they are. The prior owner put them in when he burned up the stock Carvin Crossovers. I have no idea where he got these.

I hooked the cabinets up, made sure they worked, and bought them. I just wanted to make sure all the drivers worked because I intended to build or buy new crossovers.

I was wanting a passive crossover that could handle some where in the 600 Watt - 1,000 Watt/4 ohms range.
                        I like the fact that I could run both of these from a single channel with passive crossovers, That was why I bought them.

I know everyone online says "Don't use 2x15" cabinets, Well, they work fine for all of my friends, and everyone is playing these same rat holes and biker bars with them. If anyone needs anything bigger the wind up hiring a guy who has 18 Meyer subs and those JBL's with the 2x12" and 2 different sized horns.(I'm not a JBL guy, so I don't keep track of their model numbers)

I also have a set of 600 Watt 15"+1" EAW boxes. FR152's or something like that. The tops and bottoms are 80's model EAW cabinets.

Also keep in mind, we're playing what they call "Doom Metal", it's the same old Black Sabbath derived kind of stuff. It essentially means we're old and play "Slow & Heavy". LOL

So my goal was to run the Carvin cabinets full range (were looking at another set to stick next to them, and put on top of a pair of 2x18" subs.)

Like I said, keep in mind the type of music we're playing, the goal is to be a bit bottom heavy.

I guess I could just run the HPF on the channel strips on everything but the kick and taurus pedals.

Comment

Working...
                        X