Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any thoughts on what to do with these boxes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any thoughts on what to do with these boxes?

Last year I wanted to build the neat TL Continuum floor stander. Life got in the way and these half built boxes started collecting dust.

I have been enjoying my Continuums and am thinking it might be fun to repurpose these but I am not sure what to use them for.

They are a little wide or I could do an overnight sensations TMM or similar.

The internal dimensions are roughly 6.625 wide, 6.00 deep and 40.125 tall. So the front width is 8”. Taking out the volume of the battons leaves me with about 0.87ft^3 (or about 24.6L.)

I could do a TMM, or perhaps a nice 2 way. a 6” driver or similar is probably about as big is I can fit.

Any thoughts on how I may be able to use these would be very much appreciated.

I recently finished a design for a 6.5" 2way that would work nicely in that cabinet. It uses the Rival Acoustics R176KB-08 woofer and SB Acoustics SB26STAC tweeter. If you would like more information, pm me on here
    https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

Originally posted by isaeagle4031 View Post
      I recently finished a design for a 6.5" 2way that would work nicely in that cabinet. It uses the Rival Acoustics R176KB-08 woofer and SB Acoustics SB26STAC tweeter. If you would like more information, pm me on here
      In coming PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tomzarbo View Post
        Not exact size-wise, but fairly close...

The Boomsticks: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...0-8-and-nd25fa

They sounded excellent when I heard them at the MWAF a few years ago.

TomZ
        Thank you very much Tom. I will check these out.

Comment

Depends on your budget and what you want to achieve:

When I had a quick look at your cabinets I thought maybe a MTM with 6.5" Peerless SDS truncated woofers, but the 6" depth would limit you to a TM, volume-wise. I don't understand enough about cabinet design to know whether the depth of the cabinet effects the sound, or whether the width and volume are the key factors.

I don't have the link but if you search "Budget MTM towers" there was a project with SDS160PRO and a GRS tweeter, I imagine a TM crossover wouldn't be hard to work out. The speaker might look strange, but: a lot of exposed wood on the front panel!

The 'broomsticks' design linked above would look better and play louder, but obviously cost more.

Geoff

Comment

That internal volume seems about 7% less than Speedster TMM towers, so that might be an option. Use the same crossover and tweak the port tuning a little.

Comment

How about a TM using the 6.5" Peerless 830874 woofer.

https://www.parts-express.com/peerle...ofer--264-1090

Comment

First I'd find a place to put them, then what do they need to do If I put them there.
                How loud? How low? How much?

Comment

As far as volume goes, these are about the same size as Pete’s Apollo-7 MT. These are the bookshelf version. Perhaps I could add a passive radiator as well. The only real difference is that the Apollo is 9.25” wide and my boxes are only 8.0”. Otherwise it might work.
                  Last edited by stephenmarklay; 10-13-2019, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Paul Carmondy’s Amiga might be a good use for these as well. I see two slighty different box dimensions listed for them. One has a depth of 10.25" and the other 11”. With the 10.25” depth, my boxes are very close in volume, and with the 11 about 5 liters less (25L vs 30L.) Perhaps a passive radiator rather than a port would work out depending on the length of the port needed. They both have an 8” front dimension so I would not have to mess with the BSC...

Comment

Working...
                    X