Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: Carol Kaye, Bassist and Session Player Extraordinary

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • OT: Carol Kaye, Bassist and Session Player Extraordinary

    Here's an interview where Ms Kaye shares her thoughts on playing guitar and bass, her career, the state of modern music and other fascinating stuff.

    I remember an interview with Mitch Mitchell of the Jimi Hendrix Experience where he describes jamming with her: "she was brilliant, scared the **** out of me"!

    I hope you enjoy it, I certainly did.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4JWqK6r6N4

    Geoff

  • #2
    Originally posted by Geoff Millar View Post
    Here's an interview where Ms Kaye shares her thoughts on playing guitar and bass, her career, the state of modern music and other fascinating stuff.

    I remember an interview with Mitch Mitchell of the Jimi Hendrix Experience where he describes jamming with her: "she was brilliant, scared the **** out of me"!

    I hope you enjoy it, I certainly did.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4JWqK6r6N4

    Geoff
    Geoff, here's one that I think you will love. If you haven't seen Standing In The Shadows Of Motown, it's another fantastic movie about The Funk Brothers. I think that Carol had as much influence on modern electric bass as Jaco, Stanley, and Larry Graham. I like your t taste! Great stuff! Glenn.
     

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Drummer View Post

      Geoff, here's one that I think you will love. If you haven't seen Standing In The Shadows Of Motown, it's another fantastic movie about The Funk Brothers. I think that Carol had as much influence on modern electric bass as Jaco, Stanley, and Larry Graham. I like your t taste! Great stuff! Glenn.
      Thanks for the Wrecking Crew link, will have an optic.

      I saw 'Standing in the Shadows..' some years ago, loved it.

      That was after we saw The Funk Brothers live at the House of Blues in Chicago in 2005, my wife and I thought it was the best concert we'd ever seen.

      Cheers

      Geoff

      Comment


      • #4
        Geoff,

        Are you familiar with Laura Viers? She has a nice little tribute song to Carol Kaye. One of the more apt lyrics is, “Not a household name / But she’s been in your head all day”.

        Ron
         

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Ron Stewart View Post
          Geoff,

          Are you familiar with Laura Viers? She has a nice little tribute song to Carol Kaye. One of the more apt lyrics is, “Not a household name / But she’s been in your head all day”.

          Ron
          Thanks Ron, I hadn't seen that - I hope Carol has!

          There's a sad piece of video where Carol visits her old recording studio and they won't let her in to have a look at it; they treat her like she's got the plague, even after she tells them 'I helped build this studio'.

          Geoff

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Geoff Millar View Post

            Thanks Ron, I hadn't seen that - I hope Carol has!

            There's a sad piece of video where Carol visits her old recording studio and they won't let her in to have a look at it; they treat her like she's got the plague, even after she tells them 'I helped build this studio'.

            Geoff
            Her site has a link to a different performance of that song, so she’s heard it. I hope the two got (or get) to meet in person.

            That does sound like a sad story. I can understand the ordinary person on the street not knowing who she is (even though I’d bet that there’s not a poster on this forum who hasn’t heard her playing), but it’s inexcusable for anyone at her old studio not to know about her. For punishment, they should have to listen to her 10,000 recordings straight through without food or bathroom breaks!

            Comment


            • #7
              Geoff I have to say thank you for bringing this to my attention! I’d really been unaware of her cred.
              ​​​​​​I’ve been boring most of my friends and family about her prodigious scope of work. What an extraordinary talent and being female just makes it a extraordinary story.
              Given our recent observations re ginger baker in another thread I can only imagine Carol and Ginger getting together with their gift of “time” and producing some good s**t.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by nigelb View Post
                Geoff I have to say thank you for bringing this to my attention! I’d really been unaware of her cred.
                ​​​​​​I’ve been boring most of my friends and family about her prodigious scope of work. What an extraordinary talent and being female just makes it a extraordinary story.
                Given our recent observations re ginger baker in another thread I can only imagine Carol and Ginger getting together with their gift of “time” and producing some good s**t.
                Thanks Nigel

                I don't know whether she would put up with Ginger, it seems that few people could! I think she wouldn't take any **** and wallop him with her preferred bass. It's interesting that she doesn't favour the Fender basses, she likes the sound but not the playability. So perhaps she would use a Precision for the walloping?!

                There are some prodigiously talented, unsung musicians out there and it's nice to try and get them better known.

                Cheers

                Geoff

                Comment


                • #9
                  RR Hall of Fame, who has not inducted her, said she's on more recordings than any other women by far, like 10,000.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Geoff Millar View Post
                    I don't know whether she would put up with Ginger
                    When your main man is Hal Blaine who needs Ginger?

                    It's interesting that she doesn't favour the Fender basses, she likes the sound but not the playability.
                    I didn't care for the Precision neck, and my hands are likely twice the size of hers. I liked the Jazz well enough, but when I started making my own basses I went with a 32 inch scale rather than 34 inch. It was more comfortable for me as I also played both guitar and bass, and there was too much of a difference in the scale length of Fender guitars versus most of their basses. I'm surprised she didn't have someone set her up with a PBass with a Mustang Bass neck. Nowadays she wouldn't even need a custom job, as Fender makes a Mustang P/J version.

                    www.billfitzmaurice.com
                    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      [QUOTE=billfitzmaurice;n1423197]When your main man is Hal Blaine who needs Ginger?

                      Absolutely!

                      In the days when I hung around with musicians, rather a long time ago, bass players aspired to a Fender Precision or Jazz, and the guitarists wanted Strats.

                      Geoff


                      Last edited by Geoff Millar; 10-17-2019, 07:24 PM.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X