Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seeking subwoofer design for a small/medium sized sub to go with the BS41 LCR bar

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Seeking subwoofer design for a small/medium sized sub to go with the BS41 LCR bar

    I have been out of the DIY audio game for a long time as I was happy with what I had for the last 12 years. I just moved to a new house recently and I'm setting up a secondary TV area and for simplicity sake I am going with the Dayton BS41 LCR passive soundbar (for now at least). https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...black--300-686

    The big box/retail soundbars just don't cut it for me unless I am going to spend over $2000 which I am not doing for this secondary TV area.

    I'm used to my 18" IB sub that I had previously and I know I won't be able to replicate that kind of performance in a small/medium sized box sub but I don't even know where to begin here. I have looked at a few drivers and the Tang Band 6.5" seems popular for small box builds but would 6.5" driver be enough for me? Not sure... Maybe I should look at the 10" or 8" Dayton RS HO or HF drivers?

    I need some subwoofer design recommendations please. Reference SPL is not required for this secondary TV area, I'm looking more for clean bass in a moderate sized sub without breaking the bank.

  • #2
    Been a while, do you remember this thread? http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...he-RSS210HF-4=

    Oh, one more thing before you order that Dayton sound bar, check this one out too https://www.parts-express.com/frankl...black--315-146

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Jeff F. View Post
      Been a while, do you remember this thread? http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...he-RSS210HF-4=

      Oh, one more thing before you order that Dayton sound bar, check this one out too https://www.parts-express.com/frankl...black--315-146
      Haha yes I do remember that thread... I never got around to building a sub for those microbes. I couldn't find the thread but I remember that was what I wanted to build. That Pony sub looks like it will do nicely.

      Thanks!

      Comment


      • #4
        That LCR bar looks nice. I have been poking around looking at micro monitors and bars. I won’t be running a receiver so getting 3 channels of power is not as easy doing the third channel.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by lamski View Post
          I have been out of the DIY audio game for a long time as I was happy with what I had for the last 12 years. I just moved to a new house recently and I'm setting up a secondary TV area and for simplicity sake I am going with the Dayton BS41 LCR passive soundbar (for now at least). https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...black--300-686

          The big box/retail soundbars just don't cut it for me unless I am going to spend over $2000 which I am not doing for this secondary TV area.

          I'm used to my 18" IB sub that I had previously and I know I won't be able to replicate that kind of performance in a small/medium sized box sub but I don't even know where to begin here. I have looked at a few drivers and the Tang Band 6.5" seems popular for small box builds but would 6.5" driver be enough for me? Not sure... Maybe I should look at the 10" or 8" Dayton RS HO or HF drivers?

          I need some subwoofer design recommendations please. Reference SPL is not required for this secondary TV area, I'm looking more for clean bass in a moderate sized sub without breaking the bank.
          The Anarchy 7" can pack a punch. How low do you need it to go?
          The 4 Ohm version in a BP6 alignment will give you over 104dB from 33Hz to 77Hz without exceeding Xmax.

          Click image for larger version

Name:	Anarchy BP6.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	1423119
          R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
          Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

          95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
          "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by stephenmarklay View Post
            That LCR bar looks nice. I have been poking around looking at micro monitors and bars. I won’t be running a receiver so getting 3 channels of power is not as easy doing the third channel.
            I was doing the same. I didn't want to run a receiver but it looks like that is the only option if you want a true 3.1 setup with surround dsp etc... I could not for the life of me find a 3.1 amp anywhere (let alone one with surround processing/decoding). I looked at 2.1 amps and I just don't think they will give me what I want out of this system. I will look for a compact lower end receiver to do the job. The self powered soundbars in the price range i'm in are just thin sounding and the included subwoofers on those are weak at best compared to what else is available in DIY.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by lamski View Post

              I was doing the same. I didn't want to run a receiver but it looks like that is the only option if you want a true 3.1 setup with surround dsp etc... I could not for the life of me find a 3.1 amp anywhere (let alone one with surround processing/decoding). I looked at 2.1 amps and I just don't think they will give me what I want out of this system. I will look for a compact lower end receiver to do the job. The self powered soundbars in the price range i'm in are just thin sounding and the included subwoofers on those are weak at best compared to what else is available in DIY.
              I get it. What compact receivers have you looked at?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by stephenmarklay View Post

                I get it. What compact receivers have you looked at?
                I saw the Marantz thin receivers but for this room I don't want to spend that much. I'll probably just get a mid level name brand (yamaha, denon, pioneer) as long as it has a depth of 14" or less I can fit it in the TV stand. On screen display and 4K capabilities would be nice. Any suggestions?

                Comment


                • #9
                  I think I'd go with the Yamaha RX-V385. Should do everything you need it to do, also be reliable and not too expensive.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by lamski View Post

                    I saw the Marantz thin receivers but for this room I don't want to spend that much. I'll probably just get a mid level name brand (yamaha, denon, pioneer) as long as it has a depth of 14" or less I can fit it in the TV stand. On screen display and 4K capabilities would be nice. Any suggestions?
                    I was hoping you did

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      LOL... I have an older Denon to use temporarily outside the TV console as it's too deep to fit inside. So finishing the speakers was my priority and I will probably grab a receiver this Thanksgiving weekend if I find a great deal on one that fits my needs.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by lamski View Post
                        LOL... I have an older Denon to use temporarily outside the TV console as it's too deep to fit inside. So finishing the speakers was my priority myprepaidbalance and I will probably grab a receiver this Thanksgiving weekend if I find a great deal on one that fits my needs.
                        I have been out of the DIY audio game for a long time as I was happy with what I had for the last 12 years. I just moved to a new house recently and I'm setting up a secondary TV area and for simplicity sake I am going with the Dayton BS41 LCR passive soundbar (for now at least).

                        The big box/retail soundbars just don't cut it for me unless I am going to spend over $2000 which I am not doing for this secondary TV area.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X