Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Party speakers to fill a large room with sound.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• devnull
    replied
    You've got to go BIG. It's going to take a lot in a room that big to feel the sledgehammer impact of a kick drum in your chest. As an aside, the first time I saw AC/DC they were a warm up band for Aerosmith and Foreigner. Here's my take for under 2K.

4 HSU buyouts $275
    1 FaitalPro 8PR200 $200
    1 Selenium D220Ti $50
    1 Horn for the Above $25 Fpitas can probably give some good recommendations
    Total $550 a side

Behringer DCX2496 $300 This is a nice unit, you can set up dynamic EQ and Peak Power Limiters to save your speakers during those check this sh*t out moments
    NX3000 $350 625W RMS watts a channel, with EQ the HSU drivers get you 120+dB down to around 23Hz
    Used Sony STR-DE935 $100 Analog inputs for the mids and highs. 110 clean watts, 165 watts peak

So 1850 bucks for the hardware

Leave a comment:

• Mayhem13
    replied
    With no WAF, i would build the Titans as shown earlier and a pair of DIY 18” Ultimax subs for a room that size OR a floor to ceiling Line Array which assures full coverage of the room as only an array can and dynamics unrivaled by hifi speaker systems.

Leave a comment:

• Drummer
    replied
    You could also check out Bob Crites Cornscala variants. A compression driver on a horn/ waveguide, mated to a 15 inch pro woofer will do what no hifi speaker will, in terms of high output/ low distortion. Have you ever listened to horns? Some love them, some don't. Have you thought about the dispersion characteristics, as well as where you will place them? I love the sound of horns, but everything is a choice compromise. If you want the speakers to go club level loud, pro drivers and horns/ CD would be the choice that I would go with. With your budget, you have some great options. Tony Gee has a design that uses Faital pro drivers called Calpamos that I have drooled over, but it will cost you more than 2 g's. Oh, Wayne Parham has some high sensitivity waveguide designs that you could build with upgraded jbl pro drivers that have been praised. I was to the point of having the Titans in the shopping cart when I picked up a pair of Klipsch Chorus ll's at a can't turn down price, and they have incredible dynamins and punch, and can play brutally loud. The Titans should better them in every way except resale value.(better driver components, and crossover parts with higher power handling and output) Good luck with your choice. Glenn.

Leave a comment:

• fpitas
    replied
    Originally posted by 6thplanet View Post
    Your obviously not drunk enough.
    I find it hard to argue with that.

Leave a comment:

• 6thplanet
    replied
    Your obviously not drunk enough.

Leave a comment:

• fpitas
    replied
    I must be the only guy on Earth who doesn't like loud distorted music when I'm drunk. I'm beginning to doubt my manhood!

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied
    Originally posted by killerkowalczyk View Post
    djg what are the specs on those titans?
    You'll have to find them yourself. diysg produces the kit. PE Tech Talk does not like other speaker suppliers linked, even though in this instance they sell some of diysg's products. The Titan's are meant as home theater speakers behind an acoustically transparent screen.

Leave a comment:

• chad1376
    replied
    Some full candor advice from someone who has party speakers, and has had a few parties. Use the current sober you to plan and protect the future dunken you (or friends) from damaging your equipment.

What do I mean?

- Sober you will think "heck that's plenty loud and has ample of bass"
    - Drunk you will think "I need more volume, and lets crank the bass while I'm at it."

- Sober you will be sensitive to equipment trending toward the limits of available power, headroom, distortion etc.
    - Drunk you will loose that sensitivity, and be much more tolerant of sound quality going down the toilet for the sake of "more."

Consider a setup where going over the top requires a little more effort than just turning up the volume. Set gain on the amplifier(s) so that you can't push your gear into the "red zone" even with the pre-amp volume and bass maxed out. Perhaps make getting to the amplifier gain settings a little difficult, and think about adding a limiter. Equipment where these settings are accessed via a complex menu system, and must be navigated by looking at a tiny LCD display is suggested. ;)

Leave a comment:

• killerkowalczyk
    replied
    djg what are the specs on those titans?

Leave a comment:

• tom_s
    replied
    Want to move some air? I've got some subs that would work great, but I'm guessing shipping cost from Iowa would be pretty steep!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0053.PNG
Views:	28
Size:	526.8 KB
ID:	1423353

Leave a comment:

• fpitas
    replied
    Originally posted by Jeff F. View Post
    Anybody know what the F3 is on the Uluwatus? I couldn't find it in the write up.
    http://speakerdesignworks.com/SB6pakproject_5.html

FWIW, I see the impedance minimum at about 35Hz.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff F.
    replied
    Anybody know what the F3 is on the Uluwatus? I couldn't find it in the write up.

Leave a comment:

• fpitas
    replied
    The Uluwatus are nice, but if you really are playing them loud be sure you use a decently high power amp. You can fry tweeters with clipping if you run out of amplifier headroom.

Leave a comment:

• timk
    replied
    The Uluwatus are great looking. My shop is a CNC shop, so the baffle should be easy. Program for 20 minutes then hit “print”, so to speak.

They’re so good looking they might find their way upstairs into the living room where most music actually gets played in my house.

Leave a comment:

• ontariomaximus
    replied
    Econowave Delite 10's with a pair of RS315 subs (or similar) would be good in 1200 sq ft. You could make the subs as stands for the econowaves. Or a pair of DCS305's under each econowave in about 3.9ft3, Fb 26hz F3 32hz. That would ROCK.
    I do think you need a high efficiency compression tweeter

Leave a comment:

Working...
X