Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tower speaker design/selection help

Speaker Design Goals
    • Stay under $350 for all speaker components (electrical) (building materials separate i.e. wood, glue, screws etc.)
    • Either 2-way or 3-way passive design
    • Music and movies will be the main listening media
    • Looking for a warm and punchy (fun) sound, with vocals being crisp and clear
    • I already have an active 12” down firing sub made by Klipsch
    • I am using a Denon 7.1 receiver with an output of 100 watts per channel
    • The living room that these will be in, is a nightmare of a listening situation.
      • The overall size of the room is about 12’ W x 15’ L x 8’ H
      • Hardwood floors
      • There is a hallway that leads to the bedrooms and bathroom to the left of the TV and speakers
      • Also to the left are the stairs that lead down to the kitchen/dining room with there being a huge opening (like a loft) to the left of the listening position looking over the dining room and kitchen.
    • I plan on making the speakers floor-standing
    • See the attached image to get a general layout of the living room
      • The red boxes are where the speakers will go
      • The blue box in the upper right is the sub-woofer
      • The green boxes are the couches
      • The dark blue box to the left is the opening where you can look down into the kitchen and dining room

May I please get some guidance on speaker design/selection for my situation and try to hit my goals?

Thank you in advance
    -Josh

I assume you're aiming for a 2.1 system, given you have a sub? Lot's of speaker options fit that size space and AVR power. Personally, I'd make bookshelf speakers and stands. Easier to move and the volume's not needed for low end if you have a sub. (I have a pair of towers, and a pair of bookshelf MTMs in my HT) This is a great resource.
    http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthr...peaker-Designs

The big thing I'd do is look at treating the right side wall, opposite the opening, and perhaps whatever wall/ceiling surface it opens into. The opening creates muted or delayed left-side reflections, so you want to absorb your right side reflections, to balance your stereo image. If only for that reason, I'd consider turing the layout 90 degrees and aiming the speakers at the opening. That also keeps your head away from the walls; you're "prime" seating spot needs a foot or two behind the couch if it's against a wall.

HAve fun,
    Frank

Comment

I will wait for more knowledgeable people to offer actual recommendations before I do. A few questions/comments:
      • Do you need a center speaker?
      • Given you have a sub, then your tower speakers (or speakers on a stand per fbov's suggestion) don't have to go as low as possible for HT so you have flexibility.
      • Be flexible in your sub placement. The blue square may be where it is convenient but that doesn't mean that is where it produces the optimal output.
      • Given the unfavorable room shape, pick the optimal spot and work from there. The sound won't be optimal on the smaller couch to the left so have your mother-in-law sit there. ( just kidding!)

Comment

Originally posted by fbov View Post
        I'd consider tur[n]ing [edit] the layout 90 degrees and aiming the speakers at the opening. That also keeps your head away from the walls; you're "prime" seating spot needs a foot or two behind the couch if it's against a wall.
        Frank, thank you for the input, unfortunately that wall is where the only window in the room is

I have 2 surround speakers to the left and right of the larger couch, in less than ideal positions. So I technically have a 5.1 system.

a4eaudio,
        I do have a center speaker, but I don't use it because it doesn't very good with my current layout, which I wish I could change. I have a crappy layout of a house.
        The sub is actually in a great spot. I have to dial it back because it is so effective.
        I just need to move into a house that has better conditions for listening to music and watching movies.

-Josh

Comment

Do you have any drivers
          craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

So the room has a large opening on the left wall and a highly reflective surface (window) on the right wall. Tough one. Is there any possibility of putting an inside window in the opening on the left wall? That would retain the loft feel while helping to contain noise to the listening room and then at least both walls would be similarly reflective (or at least a lot closer).

Comment

Originally posted by craigk View Post
              Do you have any drivers
              I do, but they are old drivers from some used bookshelf speakers and a pair of Dayton audio full range drivers that I plan on using for a pair of bookshelf speakers for my computer. Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dukk View Post
                So the room has a large opening on the left wall and a highly reflective surface (window) on the right wall. Tough one. Is there any possibility of putting an inside window in the opening on the left wall? That would retain the loft feel while helping to contain noise to the listening room and then at least both walls would be similarly reflective (or at least a lot closer).
                That is a possible solution, but I don't want to put any money into modifying the house when I might be moving in a year or two. -Josh Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jletofsky View Post
                  I do, but they are old drivers from some used bookshelf speakers and a pair of Dayton audio full range drivers that I plan on using for a pair of bookshelf speakers for my computer. Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
                  send me a p.m.
                  craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

a nice thick rug may help. These two builds should be in your price range:

http://www.zaphaudio.com/BAMTM.html

https://sites.google.com/site/undefinition/diy/amiga

Comment

Working...
                    X