Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maybe a dumb question - grain direction for top panel of cabinet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by djg View Post
    Mask off the dark area and apply another coat on the lighter area.
    There is just a few spots that are darker, with the rest of the speakers being pretty even and actually looking very nice. I'd be re-staining most of the speakers to darken everything up - which I suppose I could do.
    I'm not sure I want to go through the work of sanding and staining again either, and may just poly over it the way it is.

I really don't like working with wood for reasons like this - no patience for it.

No poly on them yet:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191115_142827542.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	437.7 KB
ID:	1424886

Name:	IMG_20191115_142850084.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	454.1 KB
ID:	1424887

Comment

They look nice. You might want to space the drivers out flush with the baffle, especially the tweeters. It affects the sound.

Comment

My rudimentary woodworking skills - Didn't know to control the depth of the router circle cut.
        I'll put some sort of spacer behind them. Some high-density weatherstripping or something.

Comment

So, how do they sound?

Comment

They came out pretty nice looking. Cool color on the stain too.
            1/4 or 1/8" HDF would make a decent filler for the tweeter to bring it flush. I've done that before too. It's hard to judge how deep to go when you have to figure on veneer, clear, gasket, etc.
            TomZ
            *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
            *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

The stain is Varathane Carbon Gray. I think the color looks even better in person than in the pictures. The pictures don't capture the brown and gray colors very well.
              The speakers sound great. I'm very happy with them.
              Bass is acceptable (and I'm a bass guy - play bass guitar)
              I'm running an old Akai stereo, so there's not a lot of adjustment to it.
              I'll finish up the poly in a couple days, add some rubber feet to get the veneer up off the ground so it won't stress it and pull away from the MDF - and they'll be done.

Comment

Finished

Most of the pictures make the speakers look really gray. They are more brown, like the pictures of the tops.

Name:	IMG_20191120_123832371.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	443.9 KB
ID:	1425242

Name:	IMG_20191120_123852990.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	473.0 KB
ID:	1425243

Name:	IMG_20191120_123839786.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	429.4 KB
ID:	1425244

Name:	IMG_20191120_123825927.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	455.5 KB
ID:	1425245

Comment

I'd say that you did a great job from the photos.

Have you heard them yet in your system? How's the sound?
                  Bill Schneider
                  -+-+-+-+-
                  www.afterness.com/audio

Comment

I had a 5.1 Tritrix system, TL mains, vented center and TM surrounds. Sounded really nice.

Comment

Thanks.
                      I'm no audiophile and have a bad case of tinnitus - but they sound great to me.
                      The speakers are used with an old-school Akai AA-R42 receiver that only has simple bass/treble control. 60 w/ch.
                      It's a good match between the receiver and speakers though.
                      Bass is acceptable, maybe even surprisingly substantial.
                      I'm using it with the Akai tuner, a Dual 1019 turntable and Dayton Audio Bluetooth receiver.

Comment

Working...
                      X