Newbie seeking opinions before diving in on first build Dayton 8 mtm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by djg View Post
    I've pushed the Zingers because I like their sound.

Looking at Johnny Richard's GRS 3 way, it might suit your placement better.
    Yes I noticed that as well, I still haven't ordered nothing yet and been reading more just so I can be sure I'm getting what will work best in my space, Tough to decide when both the designs look great.

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post
      Looking at Johnny Richard's GRS 3 way, it might suit your placement better.
      That's what I was thinking also.
      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...khanspires-but
      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...pico-neo-build
      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...ensation-build

Comment

I've heard both the Zingers and JR's GRS 3 way. I would think either design would fit your needs. Not sure which one has the greater max SPL potential (that seems important when a bunch of guys are drinking beer in a garage). I have never heard the Dayton 8 design but based on the drivers used I'd speculate that either Wolf's or Johnny's design would have better sound quality.
        Craig

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Maxell80s.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	1424381

That's probably true, but I've see this old Maxell tape ad associated w/the Dayton 8s, and that's exactly how my pair turned out (except they're taller than that).

Comment

Maybe a kind soul will run 3 box sims in a woofer enclosure response program and determine which of the 3 different designs theoretically produces the lowest F10, F6, F3, and greatest SPL at each drivers' rated xmax.

Standing in a garage, having fun with buddies, listening to tunes, and drinking beer I'd lean way more towards highest SPL and less towards lowest possible bass extension. Not that I've ever been there.... You can always build a big subwoofer if you want your neighbors to hate you and/or call the local PD.
            Craig

Comment

Originally posted by PWR RYD View Post
              Maybe a kind soul will run 3 box sims in a woofer enclosure response program and determine which of the 3 different designs theoretically produces the lowest F10, F6, F3, and greatest SPL at each drivers' rated xmax.

Standing in a garage, having fun with buddies, listening to tunes, and drinking beer I'd lean way more towards highest SPL and less towards lowest possible bass extension. Not that I've ever been there.... You can always build a big subwoofer if you want your neighbors to hate you and/or call the local PD.
              Luckily I have no neighbors too close lol.. I do have a sub amp sitting here that's not being used but I can't find much info about it's power rating and what ohms it can safely ran at (a goodwill find) I can say it seems to produce good power with some 4 ohm subs I hooked to it for testing. It is a "Artison rcc 300" I'm not sure if it can be bridged or ran in 2 ch mode only either.

Comment

These are my D8s. Built to the original size specs.

Dayton 8s - Techtalk Speaker Building, Audio, Video Discussion Forum

Comment

I can't remember, does the D8 use two Dayton classic 8ohm drivers in parallel or two 4ohm drivers in series?
                  Craig

Comment

I can't remember, does the D8 use two Dayton classic 8ohm drivers in parallel or two 4ohm drivers in series?
                    It uses two 8ohm drivers in parallel.

Comment

The 12" GRS has only 3.5mm of throw. At 55Hz (Cb resonance) it's at 103dB w/20w RMS. F6 near 35Hz.
                      The 8" DVC can take 65w (in Ben's box) making 105dB @ 55. F6 of 30.
                      The Dayton 8 hits 108 w/only 35w @ 55, w/an F6 of 25. They DO have bass.

Comment

Great bass I'm sure. Too bad someone doesn't do a redesign with a better tweeter like the DA25BG08-06.
                        Craig

Comment

Craig- then they would not be able to be called the 'Dayton 8' design.

As to the SD215- I was told by a member of R&D staff at PE that the Xmax figure is actually pretty conservative on the SD215A-88. What the Dayton DC200 does not have is the low HD in the bass range that the SD215A-88 has. It is just better at doing the job.

Chris- was that in the 1.0ft^3 box or the 1.5ft^3 box? The F3 in the larger 1.5ft^3 (tower) box is 29Hz, and an F6 of 26Hz. In this box, going on an Xmax of 8mm+15% (it used to be specced at 8mm before the shielding was dropped), running 100W into them yields peak Xmax above tuning to be 42Hz, and this is at 104.9dB at 55Hz.

In the smaller box of 1ft^3 (bookshelf), It takes the full 160W to even hit this same Xmax spec at 45Hz, while the output is 107.6dB at 55 Hz. Below tuning breach is at 32Hz. Back off the stuffing and you get more output and use of xmax, so that is not a good idea. I know that you shouldn't run the Zingers at 160W for a long-term period, but it looks as though the DC200 is not even remotely capable of this output without the higher HD than the SD215 has.

Later,
                          Wolf
                          "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                          "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                          "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                          "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                          http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Ben - I didn't say they should be redesigned and keep the same name.

You very well could be right about the distortion being lower (can't say that for sure without apple to apple measurements). But I will say that I would much rather have your Zingers vs the D8's because of their bass output in a much much smaller enclosure, and just as importantly the Peerless DA25 tweeter vs the old Dayton DC28.
                            Craig

Comment

I know that. I was just saying the 'ring to it' would be lost.

Yes- they dig in a small box, and that DA25 is a nice little cheapie ain't it? The old 'Silkie' has been around for a long time, but it can get a bit nasal without proper care.

Later,
                              Wolf
                              "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                              "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                              "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                              "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                              http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                              http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

... Standing in a garage, having fun with buddies, listening to tunes, and drinking beer I'd lean way more towards highest SPL and less towards lowest possible bass extension. Not that I've ever been there....
                                +1. But if the low end difference is, for example, an F3 of 60 Hz versus 40 Hz, the 40 Hz will may seem louder by virtue of that extra bass. And Most music has little content much below 40 Hz.

Comment

Working...
                                X