Need help troubleshooting woofer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help troubleshooting woofer

Picked up a pair of KLH 54 (IIRC) speakers for "shop music" until I get new shop organized enough I can tackle a speaker build. TMPRW design, 12" PR,W.

Big improvement over the Bose 201's I was using while building shop ;) I don't play them loud, just enough I can enjoy music while moving things, unpacking boxes, etc.

Problem is that several times I've heard something nasty from the woofer -- there's a version of "Ghost Riders" played on the low strings of a guitar that sounds great until the woofer decides it's not gonna play nice. Heard it a couple of other times on other bass notes.

Took one woofer out this after noon and inspected it and it looks good -- no obvious tears, etc.

How do I test it and decide if it's replacement time? I don't have any audio test equipment. I do have a multi-meter somewhere in the boxes.

Any suggestions appreciated!

You're not playing it loud? Try moving the cone back and forth with your fingers, and see if you feel any rubbing. Use equal pressure on both sides of the coil., so that the cone moves straight in, and out.

Comment

Someone near you might have a "woofer tester" and could test it for you?

Comment

When I have a bitchy mid or woofer I spin up Tone Gen Pro on my iPhone and go through the scale until I find the noise I'm looking for. Then I can look closer into what is loose/warped/broken.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukk View Post
          When I have a bitchy mid or woofer I spin up Tone Gen Pro on my iPhone and go through the scale until I find the noise I'm looking for. Then I can look closer into what is loose/warped/broken.
          +1 a swept tone is the easiest way to nail it down.
          Francis

Comment

Originally posted by rpb View Post
            Try moving the cone back and forth with your fingers, and see if you feel any rubbing.
            Yep, one makes a rubbing noise when pushed in, other doesn't. Looks like I'll be shopping for a pair of woofers.

Comment

Working...
            X