Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT - Running electronics on a generator

Hey Folks,

I'm helping a friend with their generator and potentially changing the circuits they run on it when the power goes out. There is one circuit that they are contemplating switching to because it would power their cable modem, router, internet, stereo and security system. Fortunately they have a nice generator - Honda ES6500 - but unfortunately it is NOT and inverting generator which I know is best for running electronics. Is there a legitimate workaround such as a line conditioner that could be put on that circuit or in front of those electronics instead of having to get a different generator?

Thanks!

I just spoke with the security system installer and he said no problem running that without an inverter generator. I might ask if running a pc could be made safe somehow.

Comment

Shouldn't be an issue as long as the generator doesn't have huge voltage spikes and maintains frequency with in reason.

All the electronics convert incoming AC to DC to operate. And most do that using a switch mode power supply. Huge variations in freq. and/or voltage, such as a heavy motor load switched on, may cause a "hic-cup" if the equipment's internal PS can't compensate in time.

Try a test. Run some of the electronics off the generator (like the cable modem that would be replaced by the cable provider should it fail) and then switch on a circular saw or some other heavy motor load.

Comment

Originally posted by oldloder View Post
        Hey Folks,

I'm helping a friend with their generator and potentially changing the circuits they run on it when the power goes out. There is one circuit that they are contemplating switching to because it would power their cable modem, router, internet, stereo and security system. Fortunately they have a nice generator - Honda ES6500 - but unfortunately it is NOT and inverting generator which I know is best for running electronics. Is there a legitimate workaround such as a line conditioner that could be put on that circuit or in front of those electronics instead of having to get a different generator?

Thanks!
        Include a battery powered uninterruptible power supply with power conditioner for the electronics. That would bridge the gap in power coming from the panel between the powerline outage and the startup of the backup generator, and it would clean up the power from either source feeding the panel. Maybe use a dedicated UPS on the security system. Everything else could share an UPS if practicable.

Use surge protection on the input side of the UPS, but do not add any to the outputs as that could result in excessive differences in ground potentials among low voltage interconnections during a surge event.
        "Our Nation’s interests are best served by fostering a peaceful global system comprised
        of interdependent networks of trade, finance, information, law, people and governance."
        - from the October 2007 U.S. Naval capstone doctrine
        A Cooperative Strategy for 21st Century Seapower
        (a lofty notion since removed in the March 2015 revision)

Comment

Working...
        X