Car Audio Power/Ground wiring question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Audio Power/Ground wiring question

So I've got a couple amplifiers I am putting into a car. One a four-channel, which will go under the seat, and the other a sub amplifier, which will go in the trunk. I'm curious thoughts on how to best wire them up for noise-free operation:

Run one-big wire from the battery through the firewall, which would end in a terminal block near the seat, where I can then send a short run to power the four-channel and then continue on with another run of wire back to the trunk. That's my preferred option cause then I only go through the firewall once.

Second option is to run two power cables from the battery, one to each amp.

Biggest question for me is where to ground these? Ideally I've always tried to ground amplifiers at the same location, but I've also usually had them closer together. I also don't really like long runs of ground wire cause they seem to pick up noise then.

Anyway, just thought I would check in here and ask before I didn't anything.

i personally would run a larger gauge power wire through the firewall to a distribution block, then wire from there. as far as ground, the entire chassis is the ground. Drill a hole that is in a good place that you can run both to that spot or drill one near each amp to make a ground. then spray the ground connections with CRC Battery Terminal Protector.

Comment

I'd agree with the single to a distro block scenario for power. I'd also just try grounding each amp at it's location first. If you end up with noise, then trouble shoot from there. Try to keep power down one side of the car and signal down the other.
      A mains
      The Ventures
      Open Invit8tions
      RSR
      Sound Troopers
      Acorns
      DGBG's
      The Monuments

Comment

Ground both to the car chassis.
        www.billfitzmaurice.com
        www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

This is a nice video explaining how/where the best place to ground your amplifier is.

https://youtu.be/eIB4IaNWS_M

Comment

All sound advice, I'd also make sure to go to bare metal where your grounding point is as well.

Comment

Originally posted by 6thplanet View Post
              I'd agree with the single to a distro block scenario for power. I'd also just try grounding each amp at it's location first. If you end up with noise, then trouble shoot from there. Try to keep power down one side of the car and signal down the other.
              Thanks! I had actually not ever thought to do the power/signal wiring that way even though its pretty common sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike E View Post
                i personally would run a larger gauge power wire through the firewall to a distribution block, then wire from there. as far as ground, the entire chassis is the ground. Drill a hole that is in a good place that you can run both to that spot or drill one near each amp to make a ground. then spray the ground connections with CRC Battery Terminal Protector.
                Good suggestion on the battery terminal protector. I normally ground to one of the seat mounting bolts but this car has seats that are bolted from under the car, so can't really remove seats very easily to mount amps or do my normal grounding method...so I'll find another spot and do that treatment.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff F. View Post
                  This is a nice video explaining how/where the best place to ground your amplifier is.

https://youtu.be/eIB4IaNWS_M
                  BTW finally got around to watching the whole thing. That was very helpful. That was a great few minutes to make this install as good as can be.

Comment

Originally posted by jwbohrer View Post

BTW finally got around to watching the whole thing. That was very helpful. That was a great few minutes to make this install as good as can be.
                    Glad it helped you. It opened my eyes to do a better job grounding my amplifiers. I always just used a seatbelt mounting bolt or drilled a hole in the body and scraped away the paint. I'll definitely test the ground locations from now on.

Comment

I ran one wire through the firewall to a distribution block. Both my amps sit right next to each other, but they don’t share a grounding point. (I mean, technically the whole truck is the same grounding point, but I think you get the idea)

Comment

Working...
                      X