Second subwoofer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Second subwoofer

I am building a second subwoofer for our media room to accompany my previous sub build. The existing is a Dayton 15" HF Reference driver in a sealed ~2.8cf box powered by a 500 watt Bash plate amp. I am constructing an identical box for this build but not sure if I should use the same driver or not. Would it make sense to go with the Dayton 15" HO Reference and vent the box or should I just stick with the same setup? FWIW, the bass is already more than adequate - I am primarily building the second subwoofer to create symmetry in the room and place my left and right speakers (Statement Monitors) on top of them and get them out from in front of the screen. Basically glorified speaker stands that go thump. I know that arrangement probably defies many rules of speaker placement but it is what works with us. In any case, should I build the same exact speaker or would it benefit me to change things up and maybe go with a harder hitting but probably less accurate driver?

Thanks for any input!

Matt

I recently got a UM15, but then read several comments that people preferred the RS 15" for music.
    Go for it!

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
    "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
    SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
    My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Match the drivers. Don’t mess up your symmetry 😉

Comment

Originally posted by snmhanson View Post
        I am primarily building the second subwoofer to create symmetry in the room and place my left and right speakers
        Symmetry looks good, but most of the time it sounds bad, as the ideal placement for subs and mains is almost never within the same footprint. Multiple subs do tend to work better than just one, as you can't smooth room response with just one sub, but the subs should be placed where they work best, not where they look best. I can understand the desire to put the mains in front of the screen, but that should be the job of speaker stands, not subs. I wouldn't mix different boxes or drivers either.
        www.billfitzmaurice.com
        www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Thanks for the response and advice. I'll use the same driver and amp for this speaker. I will also consider moving to speaker stands for the L-R speakers if using the subs don't provide an optimal sound. My Statement Monitors are fairly large though so would require a substantial stand. I'm sure I can find or build something if I need to though.

Matt

Comment

I was getting ready to order my driver and amp and doing just a little more research and I realized that I don't think I actually used the Dayton HF 15 driver. I'm pretty sure it was actually one of their discontinued 15" Titanic drivers. So, with that new information and the fact that I probably can't find that driver anymore- does anyone have a suggestion of a good replacement driver that I should use?

Thanks!

Matt

Comment

Well, 1st I'd find out exactly what you've got. Dayton stuff is labeled. If you're dead set against pulling the amp or driver to find out, sometimes you can get a pic (w/flash) by sticking your arm in the port (if it's 4").

Comment

Working...
              X