No announcement yet.

Dayton 460PA-8 Efficiency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paul O my Brystons are most definitely running in bridged mono. You run out of both positives in the back and flip a little switch to mono. One 4B drives left side, another drives the right side. Ive check polarity/phasing, tried running one at a time, the whole bit. Not sure whats going on other than someone has suggest to re-check that my cabinet is completely sealed. My pre-amp drives my 4Bs (its an AMC 3150a, basically ab NAD knock off) and Ive driven my 4Bs to clipping on every speaker Ive ever owned as I like loud music.
    YO

Comment

Paul O picture for clarification
      YO

Comment

I see that you checked phase, but this sounds like classic case of out of phase. What happens when you reverse the speaker wire on just one speaker? Do you get more or less bass?
        -Bob

The PEDS 2.1 mini system
        My A7 Project - another small desktop speaker
        The B3 Hybrid Dipole - thread incomplete and outdated

Comment

I believe the VBSS requires some active EQ to get good bass. The thread for it on AVS has a file for the inuke amps to get lower tune.

That doesn't mean you can't get better bass without EQ. I'm sure there there is something you can tweak. These drivers are said to do good efficient upper bass as well. Perhaps that's what you're hearing?

Comment

Process of elimination. Start with one cab with the 4B in unbridged operation.
            You aren't in the Windsor area by any chance?

Comment

Originally posted by killerkowalczyk View Post
              Correct except that you circled the ground lift switch.. the Bridged switch is on the opposite side.

Paul O

Comment

BOBinGA I will try reversing polarity on one and see what happens when both are running output wise
                YO

Comment

Paul O my mistake on the pic edit.
                  YO

Comment

ontariomaximus sorry, I am near Niagara Falls
                    YO

Comment

Chris Roemer Dukk . I havent run test tones yet or used the multimeter but I made sure all wiring is correct, tried alternate wiring configurations, tried amps bridged and normal mode, tightened screws hold the drivers, check sealing of the cabinets, siliconed the speaker wire going into the cabinet. Nothing has helped. Going to run some test tones and try using the multimeter some time this week. The thing I cant get over is how quiet they are even with the amp maxed out you get marginally good bass output. Just lost on this one, not sure what I should do. Possibly sell the drivers, burn the cabinets and lick my wounds?
                      YO

Comment

Originally posted by killerkowalczyk View Post
                        From your pic it seems that the bridged switch is set to individual and not bridged. Can you take an actual picture of the back one of the amps with all the connections in place?
                        ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

hcruz that was just a photo I took from online. I think people are getting hung up on the amp configuration. Running the RF5s they will make your ears bleed with the volume just passed half, and bass is decent loudness and deepness (given woofer size, tuning etc.). Ive had other speakers (albeit less efficient than the RF5s) that were properly loud, good bass loudness and depth. These new 18s are not deep or loud. Ive turned the volume to the max (something ive never done) before the bass started showing up. Given the claimed efficiency of almost 98db 2.83v/1m I should be blowing my windows out. Not the case. Either my cabinet design is completely fubar, the drivers are defective, or they are way less efficient than claimed. My single 15” subwoofer 400w rms blows them out of the water at 3/4 gain and volume at 1/2 way. Im truly perplexed. Thinking about offing them.
                          YO

Comment

mtg90's VBSS thread on AVS is 56 pages long, but I only had to read the first page to see that DSP settings on the INuke amp are essential. Did someone tell you your approach would work?

Comment

"I think people are getting hung up on the amp configuration"
                              Uh yes, because what you are describing says that there is something incorrect in the wiring or configuration and since you do not know what the problem is you might want to...
                              Take a Picture Of The Back Of Your Amp, and What It Is Plugged Into. This is the first step to troubleshooting

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post
                                mtg90's VBSS thread on AVS is 56 pages long, but I only had to read the first page to see that DSP settings on the INuke amp are essential. Did someone tell you your approach would work?
                                This.

I had subs that were awful until adding EQ. The description sounds like the OP is hearing all the midbass efficiency of the 460 and no low bass because there is no LF boost being applied.

Dunno why this hasn't been eliminated as it's essential to the original VBSS design.

Comment

Working...
                                X