Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stephenmarklay
    • Dec 2009

Crossover position near magnet

My crossover is pretty near the magnet of the woofer and I wondered if I should shield it in some way. When I was a kid in school we used MU metal in electronics cases to keep the noise lower. I don’t think that is good for magnets but I wondered if there was a way to shield things...
  • billfitzmaurice
    Obsessed & Proud of It
    • Nov 2006

An eighth inch of mu metal will do it. Anything less isn't worth the bother. Moving the coils even an inch will help, as the flux intensity of a magnet drops as the square of the distance.
    www.billfitzmaurice.com
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

• Millstonemike
      Seasoned Veteran
      • Nov 2012

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice
      ... Moving the coils even an inch will help, as the flux intensity of a magnet drops as the square of the distance.
      +1. Orient the XO board with the coils away from the woofer. If its a DIY XO, maybe a physical redesign/rebuild can maximize distance from the magnet. There are "rule" for XO component orientation/placement on the board. So, if you decide to re-do the XO, consult first.

Comment

• stephenmarklay
        • Dec 2009

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0735.JPG
Views:	796
Size:	515.9 KB
ID:	1425987

Thanks gentlemen. I may ultimately have to redo the crossover. It was in a vertical box but in my soundbar with the new boxes laying on the side, the crossover only fits on the bottom. It was on the back wall.
        I may need to make a completely new crossover...

Comment

• billfitzmaurice
          Obsessed & Proud of It
          • Nov 2006

I almost always put my low pass and high pass sections on different boards. Doing so you're far less likely to make a mistake in the wiring, the smaller board sizes make it easier to mount them out of the way, and since the inductors on the high pass and low pass boards are much further apart cross talk is eliminated.
          www.billfitzmaurice.com
          www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

• stephenmarklay
            • Dec 2009

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice
            I almost always put my low pass and high pass sections on different boards. Doing so you're far less likely to make a mistake in the wiring, the smaller board sizes make it easier to mount them out of the way, and since the inductors on the high pass and low pass boards are much further apart cross talk is eliminated.
            THanks Bill. That makes sense and what I will do in the future. Living and learning!

Comment

• tomzarbo
              Seasoned Veteran
              • Jan 2006

Steve,

If you have a DATS and a loose inductor, I'd test the inductor in it's position before going through all the trouble of re-doing anything. I did some testing on coil proximity to neo magnets on the ND91 for the Bantam crossover (air coil inductors, not laminated) and there was very little difference in it's value even just a few inches away, barely measurable.

Of course, the magnet on your woofer there is a fair bit larger, but you might give it a test before doing a bunch of work... it may not be that big of a deal.

TomZ
              Zarbo Audio Projects Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEZ...aFQSTl6NdOwgxQ * 320-641 Amp Review Youtube: https://youtu.be/ugjfcI5p6m0 *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
              *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF

Comment

• stephenmarklay
                • Dec 2009

Originally posted by tomzarbo
                Steve,

If you have a DATS and a loose inductor, I'd test the inductor in it's position before going through all the trouble of re-doing anything. I did some testing on coil proximity to neo magnets on the ND91 for the Bantam crossover (air coil inductors, not laminated) and there was very little difference in it's value even just a few inches away, barely measurable.

Of course, the magnet on your woofer there is a fair bit larger, but you might give it a test before doing a bunch of work... it may not be that big of a deal.

TomZ
                Thanks Tom. I did read about your investigation about that. Much appreciated.

Comment

• Dukk
                  Midrange Member
                  • Aug 2014

It is hard to tell, and I am sure you have tried already, but it looks very close to being able to fit vertically on the right side of the photo, no?

Comment

• stephenmarklay
                    • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Dukk
                    It is hard to tell, and I am sure you have tried already, but it looks very close to being able to fit vertically on the right side of the photo, no?
                    Thanks Dukk. I will play with that idea. You may be right and I may be left

Comment

• Chris Roemer
                      Obsessed & Proud of It
                      • Sep 2005

It's always been my understanding that Neodymium motor designs are "self shielding".

Comment

• PWR RYD
                        Seasoned Veteran
                        • Dec 2009

If the magnetic field from the woofer's permanent magnet is static (which it should be) and your crossover inductor is not moving in the magnetic field (which it shouldn't be) then there will be no effect on the inductor, unless its core is already very near to saturation. I highly doubt that you are pushing those big iron cores anywhere near saturation. Electromagnetic Fields 201.
                        Craig

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.

Comment

• tomzarbo
                          Seasoned Veteran
                          • Jan 2006

I've noticed that, although neo magnets are more powerful than ferrite, their strength is focused much more closely to the magnet than with ferrite magnets. Or at least that's my observation.

I think that's why neo magneted drivers are considered "shielded" their sphere of influence is much closer to the magnet.
                          TomZ
                          Zarbo Audio Projects Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEZ...aFQSTl6NdOwgxQ * 320-641 Amp Review Youtube: https://youtu.be/ugjfcI5p6m0 *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
                          *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF

Comment

Working...