No announcement yet.

Considering the RS225 for a 2-way tower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just looking at box models (ignoring FR & price), it SEEMs like the RS would reach nearly 10Hz lower, plus it's got more stroke.
    The Peerless has more sensitivity though (apparently), although that might be somewhat dependent on BSC, and it's port could be shorter.

Comment

I've done a two way with the RS, you'll be fine. Just tank the breakup, wonderful woofer, as long as you have a tweeter that'll come down to it.
      A mains
      The Ventures
      Open Invit8tions
      RSR
      Sound Troopers
      Acorns
      DGBG's
      The Monuments

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
        Just looking at box models (ignoring FR & price), it SEEMs like the RS would reach nearly 10Hz lower, plus it's got more stroke.
        The Peerless has more sensitivity though (apparently), although that might be somewhat dependent on BSC, and it's port could be shorter.
        If the box is larger, the RS likely does go deeper. I'm trying to keep the size down to around 33 liters. I might go bigger, but just have a certain look in mind for this room.

Here's the RS compared at 33 and 55. In 33 liters, the Peerless is virtually the same, other than needing a little less power.

Click image for larger version

Name:	33 vs 55.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	206.7 KB
ID:	1425992

Comment

FWIW, I've used the Peerless, albeit crossed at 800Hz. Very nice sounding woofer. It does have an on-axis peak at a few kHz you may need to tame.
          Francis

Comment

I've used 4,5,6, and 12 inch Peerless Nomexes, so I guess the 8 and 10s are the only ones I haven't. But I would say I've liked them all.
            Any bumps have been easy to deal with, even the 12 went to 1k easily(old school 1k/4k 3way).

And dust caps are imperative for permanent use in an old farmhouse by a marble quarry.

So, you have two good options, comes down to looks, price, dealing with a truncated frame.(HDSs are happy w/surface mount, but you may not like the looks)

Comment

If you put the 830869 Peerless (Qts 0.31, Vas 3.09cf, Fs 30) and the RS225-8 (Qts 0.36, Vas 2.18cf, Fs 27.6) in a 1.16 cf box:
              w/a 3"id x 18" long port (Fb = 28) the 225 has an F3/F6 of 36/29Hz. The Peerless, w/a 3" x 9" vent (Fb =38) only gets down to 46/38, a diff. of 10Hz.
              Your conclusion seems faulty? (The Peerless WILL play about +3dB louder @ Xmax, however.)

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
                If you put the 830869 Peerless (Qts 0.31, Vas 3.09cf, Fs 30) and the RS225-8 (Qts 0.36, Vas 2.18cf, Fs 27.6) in a 1.16 cf box:
                w/a 3"id x 18" long port (Fb = 28) the 225 has an F3/F6 of 36/29Hz. The Peerless, w/a 3" x 9" vent (Fb =38) only gets down to 46/38, a diff. of 10Hz.
                Your conclusion seems faulty? (The Peerless WILL play about +3dB louder @ Xmax, however.)
                I'll check my sims. I think I was tuning lower. on both to get the most output at 20hz.

Comment

Paul Kittinger did a RS225 2-way called the RS-Duets. He never publicly published the design, that I'm aware of, but does have a complete and excellent write-up on the model, XO and build. I'd email him at [email protected] for a copy of the write-up.

Comment

I sent rpb my write-up on the RS duets several days ago and he responded that he's reconsidering this whole project and possibly going in another direction. He also was concerned about the high-order roll-off and low-frequency corner crossover design possibly causing a harsh sound, but I explained why it was needed and that there was no harshness in the sound from the RS duets.
                    Paul

Originally posted by Millstonemike View Post
                    Paul Kittinger did a RS225 2-way called the RS-Duets. He never publicly published the design, that I'm aware of, but does have a complete and excellent write-up on the model, XO and build. I'd email him at [email protected] for a copy of the write-up.

Comment

Working...
                    X