Things that go boom -Sub talk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things that go boom -Sub talk

I am thinking about a sub to compliment my Kef LS50 bookshelfs. While I know the sub basics, I am not sure if I should attempt a closed box sub or vented. I have always liked closed box designs done well but I have also heard a lot a great ported subs. For this I am looking for a strictly musical sub rather than a movie powerhouse.

It also depends on what nice drivers are available as I have not really looked at the options. I am thinking a sub in the 10-15” range.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

For normal music use, I can't see much advantage to ported. Most music doesn't have stuff below 40Hz, and you will almost certainly get some room gain at those low frequencies. My $0.02.
    Francis

Comment

I am a die hard vented box guy. Generally, increased sensitivity, a lower F3, and reduced cone movement at tuning are all plusses (plusi?) for me.

There you go - the first two responses oppose each other

Comment

Originally posted by Dukk View Post
        I am a die hard vented box guy. Generally, increased sensitivity, a lower F3, and reduced cone movement at tuning are all plusses (plusi?) for me.

There you go - the first two responses oppose each other

Well, sort of. If he likes massive amounts of bass in his music, vented is the way to go.
        Francis

Comment

I've always preferred ported as well. Also, though I agree with the "most" music rule of thumb, there's plenty of music with strong content in the 40's, and quite a bit below that. I've always liked whatever gives my ported subs stuff to do more than similar stuff that doesn't
          Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
          Wogg Music
          Published projects: PPA100 Bass Guitar Amp, ISO El-Cheapo Sub, Indy 8 2.1 powered sub, MicroSat, SuperNova Minimus

Comment

With a sub there is usually a separate amplifier, and it usually has a volume knob for level matching. It would be a shame to limit the system by sealing it and not having enough output. I would rather turn an amplifier down, then be left short. YMMV.

Comment

There is no right or wrong answer. A sealed will rely on boost to support the lower frequencies where bass reflex doesn’t necessarily need boost. Room gain will affect both. A sealed with no boost is more dependent on room gain.

My subjective preference is passive radiator. I feel bass reflex in general sounds better than sealed, which I attribute to healthier low bass and less of a mechanical sound (maybe excursion related?). I can’t stand when a ported sub chuffs though, hence the passive radiator preference. All my opinion.

Comment

Bah! Double post..

Comment

Thank you so much everyone. I guess that is why there is no clear choice in my head… It sounds like they both (all) have merit...

Comment

Originally posted by stephenmarklay View Post
                    Thank you so much everyone. I guess that is why there is no clear choice in my head… It sounds like they both (all) have merit...
                    And to be clear, I'm not dissing a properly designed ported cabinet. I just think sealed sounds better, if you don't need a lot of output.
                    Francis

Comment

What size is your room and what volume levels are you typically listening at? Do you like to turn the knob a bit high at times?
                      What type of music do you most often find yourself listening to?

Your room, preferences and habits may help make the decision easier.

Having done multiple system types, while the cost is higher, I prefer PR based systems now myself. Though I do have one of each type in different rooms. 😂

Comment

I liked this one so much I bought two. Especially useful for PC or other single source stereo signals with no sub out. Passes L/R signal on to amp. Controls high and low pass freq and slope, and more.

There are 10" and 12" higher watt units. With 2 PRs. What I went to when I couldn't find a 2.1 chip amp that did what I wanted. Watch the video if you wish.

Powered Dayton Audio Reference 8" 250 Watt Compact Subwoofer Kit with Built-In DSP

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post
                          I liked this one so much I bought two. Especially useful for PC or other single source stereo signals with no sub out. Passes L/R signal on to amp. Controls high and low pass freq and slope, and more.

There are 10" and 12" higher watt units. With 2 PRs. What I went to when I couldn't find a 2.1 chip amp that did what I wanted. Watch the video if you wish.

Powered Dayton Audio Reference 8" 250 Watt Compact Subwoofer Kit with Built-In DSP
                          Thanks djg, this actually looks pretty slick with the DSP. Do you feel the DSP is worthwhile?

Comment

Yes, it's everything I could ask for in adjustability. On my PC, I can change settings via the software while listening and watching the display. The most benefits come from running to the sub amp from a stereo source, and then on to a stereo amp for the satellites.

In my living room for my LXminis, I run pre out from a HK receiver to the sub amp, to the MiniDsp, then back to the HK power amp in for the bass and to a chip amp for the treble. I preadjusted that sub on my PC then adjusted volume via the sub amp control knob.

Highly recommended.

Comment

Thank you! DSP has been on my radar to try so this sub might be a good way to get my feet wet.

Comment

Working...
                              X