What Makes a Dynamic Speaker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Makes a Dynamic Speaker?

I once had some JmLab speakers (pic is not mine, but used for reference.) I really liked these speakers but when I moved I no longer had the room to do them justice.

I describe these speakers as dynamic. They were sensitive which allowed me to power them with 30w tube amplifiers and the overall sound was great.

I would like to make something similar. The bass could be felt in the chest even at lower volumes and they just seemed to be very crisp without being bright. I am not sure if the sensitivity of the speaker contributed to this dynamic presence but I would like to understand how it can be done.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DCBA9228-D570-4691-ACDA-2E05A853EE23.jpeg
Views:	356
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	1426156

Sensitivity is a big part of it.
    Strangely (or not), sensitivity of speakers
    cannot be compensated for with power nor
    gain of the amplifier.
    ( As far as ' dynamic sound ' )
    Though scientifically that may not hold true.

Comment

Directivity may also have something to do with it.
      Francis

Comment

That makes sense in that directivity would concentrate the sound,
        thus more sensitivity at the listening position.

Comment

Originally posted by hitsware2 View Post
          That makes sense in that directivity would concentrate the sound,
          thus more sensitivity at the listening position.
          Sound with more direct sound relative to reflected also seems closer and louder.
          Francis

Comment

Are there many good higher sensitivity drivers to choose from for DIY? Something in the 90+ range? I am not interested in the Fostex full range types but something more robust that can move some air.

Comment

Plenty of nice pro sound drivers out there.
              Francis

Comment

The guys that have built Jeff Bagby's Helix mtm from diysg have given great reviews, and the guys that have heard them at gtg's have loved them and compared them to commercial speakers costing 4-5 grand. They are 4 ohm 91db. Pete's Apollo mtm is back in stock too.It is 88db 4 ohm, but it has the bass of twin Anarchy drivers, and can take more power. A pair of rs225's with the Wavecor horn loaded tweet that Pete used in the Apollo kits has been a recommended pairing, too. Those options would be pretty killer for a reasonable cost, I would bet. Glenn.

Comment

Thank you Glenn. Funny enough the Apollo (as well as Jeff’s Helix and the RS225) have been on my radar. The helix and Apollo are very similar design to the JmLab. I believe the JMLab was closer to 93db which was great. But I would love to hear them.

Comment

Stephen, are you able to design your own, or do you need to stick with existing designs? Also, what do you like to listen to, and how loud? Have you listened to cd/waveguide/ horns? Are you a sweetspot listener? What's the room like? Sub or no? Glenn.

Comment

No more discussion on what actually makes a "dynamic" speaker? That's an interesting topic.

Scientifically, that's a tough one. I can't see any reason why speakers with the same frequency response could have a difference in perceived dynamics. After all, frequency response = impulse response and is a direct measurement of the ability to make a fast transient output. A lower sensitivity speaker would simply require more power to do the same thing.

Of course, in reality no 2 speakers will ever have the same impulse response. So I suspect there are some subtle differences that we will perceive as "dynamics". Perhaps there's a range of frequencies that also lend to that perception, like strong mid-bass for that chest thump.
                      Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
                      Wogg Music
                      Published projects: PPA100 Bass Guitar Amp, ISO El-Cheapo Sub, Indy 8 2.1 powered sub, MicroSat, SuperNova Minimus

Comment

Thanks Wogg, I was hoping someone else would chime in.

1) Without really defining "dynamic" it could just turn into a subjective discussion. I'm not sure what I have in mind for dynamic is what the OP is has in mind.
                        2) But, I don't think Sensitivity could be the cause. Many (most?) DIY speaker are pretty low sensitivity. I checked, and Jeff Bagby's Kairos are 85.5 db. But from most reviews, are really outstanding speakers.

Comment

> Scientifically, that's a tough one.

No doubt . But in audio there are many things that defy science .
                          Perhaps our senses perceive things beyond present knowledge .

Comment

Originally posted by hitsware2 View Post
                            > Scientifically, that's a tough one.

No doubt . But in audio there are many things that defy science .
                            Perhaps our senses perceive things beyond present knowledge .
                            Our brains are also really good at convincing us we've perceived something that doesn't exist. For example, there have been "A/B" tests where the tester didn't actually change a thing, the exact same system was used but the observers believed a high price cable or whatever was switched in. The observers invariably thought the sound changed and the high price item enhanced the sound. Wish I had a link to share on that one, but alas I read that a while ago and don't have the time to re-dig it up.
                            Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
                            Wogg Music
                            Published projects: PPA100 Bass Guitar Amp, ISO El-Cheapo Sub, Indy 8 2.1 powered sub, MicroSat, SuperNova Minimus

Comment

Working...
                            X