Peerless TC7FD00-08 2-1/2" Full-Range driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peerless TC7FD00-08 2-1/2" Full-Range driver

Has anyone used these? Are they a decent driver? I am thinking of experimenting with 4 per side in a multidirectional array.

As a general rule of thumb, Peerless stuff is a solid bet. Just keep expectations realistic. Probably fine for very small, nearfield speakers like desktop PC speakers. Even 4 of them per side will have very limited bass capacity, so just be prepared.
    R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
    Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
    "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

I bought 26 so I could use several in each system and add better high frequency to my TC9s. Unfortunately the one I chose to test did not match the PE graph. The magnet is much bigger than the TC7FD00-04 with Qts 0.65 compared to 0.92 for the 4 ohm. Using this full range on the internet gives good sound. The main reason I bought these is that 8 ohm impedance works much better for me than 4. Of course the low price was a big incentive too hehe. My calibrated microphone has had too many drops to the floor and not very accurate now. I changed to an older one that had not been dropped and the frequency response is good.
      Last edited by tedwilt; 12-15-2019, 03:52 PM.
      I was tired and got tired again so now I am Re tired.

Comment

Ok I was thinking of using them down to 300hz and up to 5khz.. will; that work?

Comment

Originally posted by Pete Schumacher View Post
          As a general rule of thumb, Peerless stuff is a solid bet. Just keep expectations realistic. Probably fine for very small, nearfield speakers like desktop PC speakers. Even 4 of them per side will have very limited bass capacity, so just be prepared.
          My alternate 300-4000hz. Tymphany TC9FD18-08 3-1/2"

Comment

You might not need a tweeter unless your dog wants to listen to the high frequencies. I would choose the TC9 if you are using a tweeter. I am using a mixture of full range drivers to get more output and more efficiency but was a little disappointed with my first test of the TC7 8 ohm and I will test some more to see if they all roll off at 17k but there is not much music above that and I lost my high range hearing decades ago. I have 7 of the TC7FD00-04 that are some of the best speakers I have tested but they have not been on sale and only handle 20 watts compared to 30 on the TC9. These TC7-8 have a very small xmax and are not going to be good bass speakers.

Comment

I am not quite as enthused with these after working with one. The magnet is almost as large as the cutout and other little problems.

Comment

I haven't tested the 8ohm version, but the 4ohm version performs spectacularly well in my testing:
                http://feleppa.com.au/speakermeasmid.html

One of the few drivers I'd actually consider using full range, excepting the limited bass response. 4 per side might be ok for nearfeild monitors but I'd go for at least 8 if it's for far field listening.

Comment

Originally posted by tedwilt View Post
                  I am not quite as enthused with these after working with one. The magnet is almost as large as the cutout and other little problems.
                  Small drivers need special attention paid to the area in the cutout. Beveling the cutout is essential for good venting of the back of the driver and the spider.
                  R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
                  Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
                  "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

I solved that problem by front mounting instead of the normal rear mounting

Comment

Originally posted by tedwilt View Post
                      I solved that problem by front mounting instead of the normal rear mounting
                      Doesn't that just move the problem to the other side? Rear mounting it may well solve the problem of the magnet blocking air flow, but even the thickness of a 1/4" baffle (let alone 3/4" or more) can have a profound effect on the frequency response of a small driver because it is effectively playing through a cylindrical horn.

Imo you're best off mounting it from the front, and adding a full depth chamfer to the rear of the baffle hole. Either make a template for your router bit bearing to run in so you can route full depth (chamfer to a knife edge at the front), or freehand it with a sanding drum on a Dremel, hand file, whatever gets it done.

Removing about this much material is usually more than sufficient for small drivers

Click image for larger version  Name:	speaker_roundover.png Views:	0 Size:	880.8 KB ID:	1427723

Comment

Some valuable small driver info....

http://feleppa.com.au/speakermeasmid.html

Comment

Working...
                        X