New Project, Tube Amp Friendly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Project, Tube Amp Friendly

I have a friend who wants to build something.
    He is running a pair of tube monoblocks and is a true music lover. He has a Linn LP-12 and has about 5000 records. All vinyl listening!
    Budget is maybe $700 for drivers alone.
    Looking for something fairly efficient and can't have wild impedance dips. A fairly benign 8 ohm load would be preferred.
    I am thinking
    2 x RS225-4 (in series), maybe in a T-line
    1 x PRV 5MR450-8 5" (I've heard great things about this one)
    tweeter? your suggestions?

US$1000 for a kit would be OK, but I am leaning toward suggesting something custom.

I have suggested the Elsinore project, and that is certainly a possibility but we aren't in any great hurry.

Hard to beat open-baffle for tube amps :

https://www.lii-audio.com/index.php/...-f-15-in-pair/

Comment

Troel's original Seas 3 way classic. 90 db, tube friendly. there are now several 3 way classic designs. If your friends monoblocks are 3 watts, probably not right for him.

SEAS-3-Way-Classic

3WClassic-Andy-US

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post
        Troel's original Seas 3 way classic. 90 db, tube friendly. there are now several 3 way classic designs. If your friends monoblocks are 3 watts, probably not right for him.

SEAS-3-Way-Classic

3WClassic-Andy-US
        The Seas 3 way classic looks like a very viable option.

Comment

Originally posted by hitsware2 View Post
          Hard to beat open-baffle for tube amps :

https://www.lii-audio.com/index.php/...-f-15-in-pair/
          Open baffle requires tremendous power in the bass. Maybe not appropriate for anything but high-power amps.
          Francis

Comment

Originally posted by fpitas View Post

Open baffle requires tremendous power in the bass. Maybe not appropriate for anything but high-power amps.
            Depending on the size of the baffle .

Comment

Originally posted by hitsware2 View Post

Depending on the size of the baffle .
              Well, ok. If the driver is in a large room-sized wall, no problem.
              Francis

Comment

I don't think the 2x RS woofers will give you enough sensitivity for a small(ish) tube amps.
                Dayton does have some pro and semi pro woofers that are very reasonably priced, and may work for your needs and budget.
                for 5-6 inch mids, I really like some of the Beyma drivers, but the better ones may exceed budget.
                Lot's of tweeters would fit, so you might be able to provide a solution.

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
                "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
                SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
                My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

His monoblocks are 4xEL34 each so power shouldn't be an issue. I am guessing 70 or 80 watts?
                  I have almost talked myself into building a pair with
                  2 x RS225 per side + 1 PRV 5" + HiVi 1.3 tweeter

Comment

4 EL34s is plenty of power to run a normal speaker. The thing that will make the tube amp happy is a highish impedance that is relatively flat with good flat impedance phase. This is an example of a tube friendly impedance:

Comment

Check out something like the HT10 or HT12 at DiySoundgroup for a higher sensitivity, tube friendly kit.
                      R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
                      Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
                      "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

You could also use that driver budget to buy a bunch of little full rangers for an array.

Comment

We purchased a Travelers kit (essentially an updated Finalist). I found out his amps are 70W and doesn't listen THAT loud so I have high expectations. We have a set of Finalists here (along with Kairos, Stances, Bagby RS180 MTM, others)

Comment

Working...
                          X