X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• johnnyrichards
    replied
    Originally posted by fpitas View Post

Yeah. He should have stuck to the standard model, defrauding audiophiles by selling snake oil. Then he'd be a hero.
    Truth

Leave a comment:

• fpitas
    replied
    Originally posted by TMM View Post
    Seems like he was into quite some schifty business
    Yeah. He should have stuck to the standard model, defrauding audiophiles by selling snake oil. Then he'd be a hero.

Leave a comment:

• johnnyrichards
    replied
    With a driver like that, a traditional modeling approach could end up being very unsatisfying. It will probably need some contouring. I guess I would just throw it in a smallish sealed box and experiment with boost/EQ until you have something that works.

Leave a comment:

• TMM
    replied
    Originally posted by neildavis View Post
    Seems like he was into quite some schifty business

Leave a comment:

• a4eaudio
    replied
    Banana for scale

Leave a comment:

• tom_s
    replied
    Parts is parts these days - you can buy everything to make your own subs or have them built overseas using many off the shelf options. It also could have been something custom from Eminence. The baskets look identical to the Lab 12. You might drop Danny Richie a line. He was/is selling the surplus AV123 stuff after they shut their doors and likely had close had ties to them, seeing that they used his drivers.

Leave a comment:

• neildavis
    replied
    Originally posted by Navy Guy View Post
    Weirdest object ever used for scale 😂
    Maybe that shriveled banana is some type of weird metaphor for the ex-owner of AV123: https://www.audioholics.com/news/av1...ted-grand-jury.

Schifter was arrested again for felony theft in 2012. Here's an interesting guy, and active in audio sales up until last year.

Leave a comment:

• Navy Guy
    replied
    Weirdest object ever used for scale 😂

Leave a comment:

• Blenton
    replied
    That would be an Onix Rocket UFW-12. Says so right on the label... A quick DuckDuckGo search (go-ogle and I broke up...) reveals that they were made by the now-defunct company AV123. Appears to have been some shady stuff going on, despite the rave reviews for their gear. It was before my time, so maybe someone else can chime in.

Ok, ok, you know that already...

I couldn't tell you who made the driver; looks like a mishmash of parts from other drivers so I'd venture a guess that AV123 had the driver made to order. Spider section of the basket looks like a HiVi SP10, main basket looks like several drivers including the Ultimax and IIRC the dayton Titanic series, magnet assembly looks familiar, but I can't place it and it's gorgeous.

Best way to find TS parameters is to test it. If you live in CONUS and don't have testing equipment, you could prolly find somebody on the board that does. Care to generalize your location?

I did find the following features for the driver:

3" aluminum voice coil with aluminum former
    12 spoke aluminum die-cast basket allowing for high excursion
    Double-stacked 200 ounce magnet assembly
    50 mm vented pole piece
    Multi-layer Kevlar impregnated honeycomb cone for extreme rigidity
    Hand-stitched Santoprene rubber surround
    Dual mirrored spiders with opposing silver plated cadmium copper tinsel leads

And it was driven by a class G 1,000 watt amplifier with single band PEQ and an non-defeatable 23hz high pass filter.

Leave a comment:

• Help ID this woofer manufacturer and its T/S parameters

Hi All,
    I just picked up this woofer and want to build/buy a box for it. It's the driver from an AV123 Onix Rocket UFW-12 subwoofer. Anyone know who manufactured it and possibly the T/S parameters? It looks like it was sold in a sealed box of around 3-4 ft^3.
    Banana for scale
    Thanks,
    Nate
    Click image for larger version

Name:	UFW-12.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	454.1 KB
ID:	1427901 Click image for larger version

Name:	AV123.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	407.4 KB
ID:	1427902