X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PWR RYD
    replied
    Originally posted by Kornbread View Post
    Even though I've been rolling my own inductors, a 10lb role of 15awg is still $100. A lot of times I've noticed a trade-off between inductor/capacitor size when targeting a certain frequency and I'll see how far from 'ideal' the circuit can be made simply because of economics. Large copper coils can get quite expensive while bipolars and resistors are relatively cheap.

Pros and cons of doing this?
    Changing the ratio between the L and the C will change the Q of the notch, but since the resonance is outside the passband it won't have much effect in this case. I wouldn't use a 2 mH coil on a tweeter comp circuit.

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied
    10# roll of any annealed copper magnet wire is about $100. Larger gauge = shorter length.

Later,
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• Kornbread
    replied
    Even though I've been rolling my own inductors, a 10lb role of 15awg is still $100. A lot of times I've noticed a trade-off between inductor/capacitor size when targeting a certain frequency and I'll see how far from 'ideal' the circuit can be made simply because of economics. Large copper coils can get quite expensive while bipolars and resistors are relatively cheap.

Pros and cons of doing this?

Leave a comment:

• Chris Roemer
    replied
    If you pad w/an "L" (instead of simple series resistance) you'll likely drop the Zmax/Re ratio down from 5:1 to more like only 2:1.

Beyond that, 2.0mH +50uF +enough resistance to hit 5.0ohms (inc. the coil's DCR) will get you nearly ruler flat.

Leave a comment:

• PWR RYD
    replied
    I used an LRC across the XT25TG30 that worked out quite well. I used 1.0 mH (20 gauge air core) coil, 4 ohm resistor, and 100 uF NPE cap.

Leave a comment:

• Kornbread
    replied
    The bg looks to have a shallower rez peak (589hz) than the tg (436hz) so I'd assume you would target that.

Probably more ways to skin a cat but this is what I did for the xt25tg30. The inductor was spun with repurposed motor windings that were light gauge (20?) creating extra resistance that it normally would not have had so about a .5-1ohm resistor might be needed for an inductor with less resistance.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture xt25tg rez.JPG
Views:	256
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	1428167

Leave a comment:

• ontariomaximus
    replied
    I have a pair of XT25BG60 and what is the preferred notch filter for the resonance?

Leave a comment:

• dynamo
    replied
    Originally posted by Kornbread View Post

Thank you much for that link. Gathered from that link, the xt25tg30 and xt25bg60 are very close in everything to frequency response to distortion with a slight edge to the 25bg version. If both tweeters measure and sound basically the same, as long as the price stays <$50, I may go another route all together.
    On another build with the xt25tg30, it was necessary to clamp the resonance and I assume it will also be necessary with the xt25bg60?

Thanks for the info everyone.

I didn’t notch the resonance on these but crossed at almost 3k and can hear it every once in a while if pushed hard enough with the right music.

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...reezy-monitors

Leave a comment:

• Kornbread
    replied
    Originally posted by ernperkins View Post
    Lots of measurements in this thread:

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...4-measurements
    Thank you much for that link. Gathered from that link, the xt25tg30 and xt25bg60 are very close in everything to frequency response to distortion with a slight edge to the 25bg version. If both tweeters measure and sound basically the same, as long as the price stays <$50, I may go another route all together.
    On another build with the xt25tg30, it was necessary to clamp the resonance and I assume it will also be necessary with the xt25bg60?

Thanks for the info everyone.

Leave a comment:

• ernperkins
    replied
    Lots of measurements in this thread:

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...4-measurements

Leave a comment:

• donradick
    replied
    Originally posted by DJW View Post
    I've used it in a 3-way crossed over at 3k. I find it to be very smooth and neutral. It doesn't seem to add anything, but it doesn't seem to be missing anything either.
    My experience also - crossed it about 3.5K third order in a three way. Smooth, accurate, low distortion.

Leave a comment:

• DJW
    replied
    I've used it in a 3-way crossed over at 3k. I find it to be very smooth and neutral. It doesn't seem to add anything, but it doesn't seem to be missing anything either.

Leave a comment:

• Geoff Millar
    replied
    The VIFA is used in many commercial projects; it was also used by the winner of the Iron Driver 2012 competition and this build: http://projectgallery.parts-express....irthday-build/.

I haven't used it, but I'm happy with the sound and quality of the BC25Tg and XTSC90, which I have used, the XTSC in Ron E's C-notes, a very close runner up in the 2012 competition.

Geoff

Leave a comment:

• Kornbread
    replied
    Thanks. Haven't heard much about this one but kind of like the xt25tg30. Kind of flip-flopping on the xt19td and the xt25bg in this build. Searching did find that the xt25bg60 and Scanspeak r2604/8330 are very similar.

Leave a comment:

• dynamo
    replied
    Yup. Nice sounding, but despite the large chamber and low fs, it is not immune to buzz common to these tweeters if crossed too low and/or doesn’t have a notch filter at the resonant frequency.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X