Nubie Help on 3 way build of Wayne J "Lyra"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nubie Help on 3 way build of Wayne J "Lyra"

First off I'm more of a grease monkey wrench turner than a electrician. I can follow a Illustrated parts breakdown.

I have found the cabinet plans, parts call out, and the schematic for this speaker. I have grown tired of my energy connoisseur c2 and c3 for music.

My problem is converting the schematic to an physical board layout. If someone has a pic of this board or could draw it out. I would be very thankful.

Here's the list, with PE part numbers...

TWEETER:
    C5 - #027-415 2.2uF*
    C6 - #027-418 3.0uF
    L4 - #255-220 .33mH/18 gauge (same as 330uH)
    R3 - #004-8 8ohm resistor

MIDRANGE:
    L2 - #255-404 .33mH/15 gauge
    L3 - #255-260 1.5mH/18 gauge
    C3 - #027-426 8.2uF*
    C4 - #o27-430 12uF*
    R2 - #004-9.1 9.10hm resistor*

WOOFER:
    L1 - #255-436 3.0mH/15 gauge
    C1 - #027-428 10uF*
    C2 - Parallel these two for 60uF: #027-354 (50uF) & #027-340 (10uF)
    R1 - #016-15 15ohm resistor

Thanks CW

Do you have these already? If not maybe something newer?

Dayton Audio DC50F-8 2" Dome Midrange

Comment

The DC50F is no longer available, according to the PE product page, so you will need to consider a different design unless you already have the parts. Would you consider something else?

A three way crossover is much harder to put together than a two way, at least for me.

For my first crossover, which was admittedly the simple "Tritrix", I found that the Parts Express video was a great help:

https://www.parts-express.com/Displa...312&zpid=11918

My next project, Paul Carmody's "Classix II" two way was more complicated but I took it slowly. I drew the outlines of the parts, then cut them out and blue-tacked them to a board so the they looked like the circuit diagram, then drew red and black lines where the wires would go. Also, and this is probably not good practice, I made one board for the tweeter and one for the woofer. this made it much easier to lay out and connect all the parts.

I didn't solder anything until I was sue that everything worked.

Geoff

Comment

• cw90stratos
        cw90stratos commented
        Editing a comment
        I may do this also just use all separate boards. Probably easier to keep things straight.

nodal_analysis

Comment

• cw90stratos
        cw90stratos commented
        Editing a comment
        I saw that also later on. Still dont ring a bell sorry.

Originally posted by djg View Post
      Excellent tutorial, well worth an optic

Geoff

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff Millar View Post

Excellent tutorial, well worth an optic

Geoff
        That's what I studied and slavishly followed until it became second nature. A bible for a noob.

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
        "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
        SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
        My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

cw90stratos - that was a killer design by a great guy 20 years ago. The drivers and our designs have gotten a LOT better since then.
          Any of Paul Carmody's designs (particulary the Tarkus or Amiga) would be great.

You are on the "right track" - we always encourage new folks to build a proven design.
          Once you build one, you are hooked - you will not believe the kind of quality sound that you can build from scratch.
          The kind of quality that you can't buy.

Looks like you want a classic "monkey coffin" 3 way. Trouble is, those are not so common, and often use boutique drivers.

You can make what's called a "MTM" design with a very simple crossover, that will kick some serious booty.
          I kid you not, 2 RS180 mid-woofers in a proper box are awesome.
          The best MTM, Jeff Bagby's design sadly you can't get the tweeter anymore. I made a version with the DX25 that sounds great.
          Here is my writeup:

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...180-mtm-design

"As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

As Don says, an MTM design will be a simpler crossover than a 3-way, as it's really a two way crossover. I use the RS180Ps in a vented MTM with a 30 litre cabinet and they sound great; I have a sub but haven't turned it on for about six months because it's just not needed with those speakers and our music collection. Only drawback for me of the MTM layout is getting the tweeter at ear level.

You can also buy a kit, some of which have the crossovers built as an option.

Geoff

Comment

• cw90stratos
              cw90stratos commented
              Editing a comment
              I've always had ported speakers, while I have liked them was wanting to try something diff.

• Geoff Millar
              Geoff Millar commented
              Editing a comment
              My apologies: the speaker is actually a "Mass Loaded Transmission Line", not a vented design.

Geoff

Cheap simple 3 way, "well known designer"

Le Singe Sarcophage - A large GRS based 3-way - Techtalk Speaker Building, Audio, Video Discussion Forum

Comment

• cw90stratos
              cw90stratos commented
              Editing a comment
              I'll check this out thanks.

Actually, I haven't bought anything yet. I have read many, many diy do's and don't. Just really like a some people all the info mostly points to don"t do it just too many variables with bad the usual outcome. one thing is always in common. Use a proven design. Most people who did this project seemed to be very satisfied.

I am not trying to restore anything, Old cabinets are a crap shoot. Build new as plans shows. I kind of miss my old c v d2 d3. but i could hear good then.

Did consider the econowave. But figured it was too much like a Klipsch. My room mate had the Belles powered by kenwood m1 or 2 amp at 220+ wpc. Full rack of DBX eq and other dbx sound processors. I didn't like it but my god the power.

Anyway I didn't realize at the time Belles were a 3 way till recent, toooo drunk then. Probably reason why. Don't like the new Klipsch either.

Lastly I do have a sub svs pci25 31. great for movies but I have outgrown that sound for music. favorites Rock, metal, some classical, soft rock, prog. no hip hop or country.

Comment

Cutting neat round holes with recesses for flush mounting speakers EASILY takes a plunge router and circle jig. If you have or will buy same you can make your own quality cabs EASILY. The caps are to point out there are work arounds for a certain mindset. Kits with premachined baffles exist for those people without tools and no wish to buy them.

Figure out where you're at and proceed. Plenty of nice kits with baffles and flat pack enclosures, or make them from scratch. Gazillions of designs for you to consider. I suggested a 3 way because you asked about a 3 way. Try not to get pigeonholed. You may not know what you really want or what all is available.

Many new people want to emulate a certain brand or model of commercial speakers. Many here don't relate to factory made stuff. I haven't listened to any commercial speakers in decades.

Look here. Many (not all) of these are good designs.

Parts Express Project Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by djg;

Look here. Many (not all) of these are good designs.

[URL="http://projectgallery.parts-express.com/"
                Parts Express Project Gallery[/URL]
                There are indeed some interesting designs in that Gallery, but without any disrespect to the builders, I would avoid those which use pre-made crossovers.

There are some very respected and prize-winning designers whose work appears in the gallery, and Don has already suggested you have a look at Paul Carmody's website: https://sites.google.com/site/undefinition/diy. It has some good Q&As about DIY, too. Also: http://speakerdesignworks.com/

There are many other designers whose work is highly regarded and whose speakers won't disappoint. I won't name them as I don't want to leave out any names!

Budget, crossover complexity, cabinet size, WAF, music preferences, room size etc will all have a bearing on your short listing. If you need a pre-cut baffle or cabinet, that will help you decide, too.

There is a huge variety of DIY designs for you to discover, take your time and enjoy the research. It took me many months to decide on my first project and I'm onto my fifth.

Geoff

Comment

Originally posted by cw90stratos View Post

favorites Rock, metal, some classical, soft rock, prog. no hip hop or country.
                  Sounds like Paul's Tarkus would be right up your alley!
                  Co-conspirator in the development of the "CR Gnarly Fidelity Reduction Unit" - Registered Trademark, Patent Pending.

Comment

Originally posted by tom_s View Post

Sounds like Paul's Tarkus would be right up your alley!
                    That would be my reco also for a mid-priced rock 3 way. Cabs are complicated, though.
                    I wonder if you could put them in standard rectangular boxes.

If the OP want's to go "upscale", the Curt C Statement/Finalist variations are awesome, but
                    I didn't want to go there because I can't stand that TB1337 mid anymore, and overall the
                    prices are a bit stiff for a noob.

Fact of the matter, we as a community need to step up with some killer mid price 3 ways.
                    My current "goto" monkey coffin is a 3 way ported with RS225, 4 inch Peerless HDS mid, and xt25.
                    Very high value, mid prices drivers, and man, that thing rocks.
                    I never really posted that though. Hmm, something to do today!

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Yes I do have a plunge router, going to get a circular jig for it. Hole saws also. My wood skills are amateur at best. The speaker I posted is WAF, WA friendly, W A size. Seemed simple enough, as the monkey coffin Le Singe Sarcophage - A large GRS based 3-way is a little too large TBH.

While I'm sure the other suggestions are more excellent to superior than what I asked about this seemed simple enough to get my feet wet. It also included a second option for a different tweeter with a corrected crossover for it. This link has all the details on the Lyra, graphs and all.

http://web.archive.org/web/200503070...a/lyramain.htm

I know what sort of to expect from these. Zero experience with TL set up, not looking for a floor stander. I have The Energy cc1 and a xlc100 basically mtm neither one of them sounded good with music.

Comment

Working...
                      X