Nubie Help on 3 way build of Wayne J "Lyra"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by donradick View Post

That would be my reco also for a mid-priced rock 3 way. Cabs are complicated, though.
    I wonder if you could put them in standard rectangular boxes.

If the OP want's to go "upscale", the Curt C Statement/Finalist variations are awesome, but
    I didn't want to go there because I can't stand that TB1337 mid anymore, and overall the
    prices are a bit stiff for a noob.

Fact of the matter, we as a community need to step up with some killer mid price 3 ways.
    My current "goto" monkey coffin is a 3 way ported with RS225, 4 inch Peerless HDS mid, and xt25.
    Very high value, mid prices drivers, and man, that thing rocks.
    I never really posted that though. Hmm, something to do today!
    Would love the hear the details. I have some RS225's and a pair of XT25BG60's.

Comment

• cw90stratos
      cw90stratos commented
      Editing a comment
      I would also bout the rectangular box, as long as its not over 24" high.

But to be honest, thank everyone for their knowledge and suggestions, I would like to put this back on track. Bout the pictures of this crossover or even a hand drawn one of a circuit board with the parts laid out and connections. Otherwise guess I'll just do 3 separate boards connecting to the main terminal post.

So you do have a pair of the no longer available dome midrange drivers? You need these to build the Lyra. Sorry if I missed that in your replies. Three separate boards are fine. I don't think anyone is going to provide you a parts layout for that xover, could be wrong. I did provide a link to info on laying it out yourself. Someone here might build them for you if you send them the parts.

If you don't have the dome midranges and only the Lyra will satisfy you, try advertising for them in the classifieds. Members here have an unhealthy amount of stuff sitting around. Or you might find them preowned on ebay. It's very common for good designs to become obsolete due to discontinued drivers. This design is almost 20 years old.

Keep in touch.

Comment

Here's my latest project, from a design here on the forum. Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0016.JPG Views:	0 Size:	55.5 KB ID:	1428582 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0017.JPG Views:	0 Size:	59.8 KB ID:	1428583 8" 2 way, 6 piece crossover. Very low bass extension. Flash: parts kit available, Wolf scores another commercial success.
      Last edited by djg; 01-06-2020, 08:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cw90stratos View Post
        Yes I do have a plunge router, going to get a circular jig for it. Hole saws also. My wood skills are amateur at best. The speaker I posted is WAF, WA friendly, W A size. Seemed simple enough, as the monkey coffin Le Singe Sarcophage - A large GRS based 3-way is a little too large TBH.

While I'm sure the other suggestions are more excellent to superior than what I asked about this seemed simple enough to get my feet wet. It also included a second option for a different tweeter with a corrected crossover for it. This link has all the details on the Lyra, graphs and all.

http://web.archive.org/web/200503070...a/lyramain.htm

I know what sort of to expect from these. Zero experience with TL set up, not looking for a floor stander. I have The Energy cc1 and a xlc100 basically mtm neither one of them sounded good with music.
        Dude, if the Energy speakers didn't sound good, either they screwed up the crossover, or they used cheap drivers.
        There is not one person here would will tell that there is a problem with MTM designs.

The distortion is lower, the clean output is higher, the crossover is as simple as a 2 way, and the cabinet is smaller than a 3 way.
        But you have to satisfy yourself and your spouse.
        Keep posting!

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
        "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
        SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
        My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Originally posted by donradick View Post
          Dude, if the Energy speakers didn't sound good, either they screwed up the crossover, or they used cheap drivers.
          The Energy speakers are "good for the money" commercial speakers but are relatively inexpensive speakers. (My own speakers are the Energy Reference speakers (almost every model), which I am trying to get rid of as I transition to all DIY speakers.) The C2 and C3 are TM bookshelf speakers.

The original poster can easily do better with DIY speakers, and as many have already said, if he doesn't have the drivers already on hand there are a lot better designs over the last 20 years than the Lyras. Knowing the budget is always helpful.

Comment

Here is a fully documented MTM using budget drivers, easy crossover, easy cabinet.
            They will blow away most "big store" speakers, and cost a fraction of what they charge.

You can surface mount the midwoofers without a large change in the response.

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...leons-sb13-mtm

"As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

• cw90stratos
              cw90stratos commented
              Editing a comment
              Beauties for sure. Cabs are NLA

If after having a look at the build suggestions in this topic you want to build the Lyras, and can obtain the DC50s, please be aware that this project dates from 2001.

My understanding from reading various threads is that the DC28F tweeter has been updated at least once since that time: this may mean that changes to the crossover might be needed.

So, assuming you wish to go ahead, I'd ask PETT members or Parts Express itself how, or if, the updates affected the DC28 specifications and performance.

And may I suggest that you seek out three DC50s if you can get them: just in case of accidents, etc.

Geoff

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff Millar View Post

And may I suggest that you seek out three DC50s if you can get them: just in case of accidents, etc.

Geoff
              What kid wouldn't love to pop that big dome?

Comment

Didn't realize the mids d50 were nla

I found what was totally wrong to start with and didn't realize it so my bad. Lack of cubic inches/horse power. The c3 needed more. I read that on another post also.

My old HK avr335 in 2 channel mode was garbage. It was only good for movies. Well it died finally.

yall may laugh at this but I just got in a new crown lxi1500, new chifi tube buffer/ pre amp, and it totally blows the AVR 335 clean out of the water for music.

Now probably saying why that amp. Im hoping to do a diy soon. Plus was going to make sure there was enough cubic inches to push anything.

But Haven't even got out of the pre planning stage and after reading all this I'm not even sure I want to anymore. was budgeting around 3 to 500$. So I'm going back to the drawing board.

Comment

cw90stratos - yeah, I had the same wakeup when I temporarily swapped out 135w/ch Denon with a 150w/ch vintage Kenwood stereo amp. wow.
                  Thanks for the budget estimate. One thing that new folks dont' realize is that sadly, you usually spend as much on crossover components as the drivers,
                  so now your budget for drivers is about $150 - 250. Thankfully, these days, there are lots of great drivers for a reasonable price. Lots of builds in that price
                  range using Dayton, Peerless, or SBacoustic drivers. I believe my Dayton RS180 MTM came in about $250 for drivers, the SB13MTM came in about $150 or so -
                  I am sure there are plenty more. You might be able to build the Tarkus 3 way for $250 in drivers.

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

• cw90stratos
                    cw90stratos commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I really do appreciate your info. Guess I just thought it was a given on budget beings that speaker was built around 200$ then so i figured around 350ish now.

It's a little bit about cost, the biggest hurdle is actually assembling the crossover itself. I'm not trying to modify someones design/emulate a big companies sound. I know the symbols on the schematics, also parallel vs series. I'm just not able to turn that into the physical layout.

Sort of like being constipated, food looks good, smells good and tastes good but nothing comes out in the end when it really matters the most.

Wolf's Zingers, pictured in my post #18 have a kit cost of $203.60, drivers and crossover parts only.

Comment

For what it is worth, I priced up a Tarkus set recently and it came to $488.20 for drivers and crossover parts (with 6mH air coils. Iron core saves ~$40/pair)

Comment

Originally posted by Dukk View Post
                      For what it is worth, I priced up a Tarkus set recently and it came to $488.20 for drivers and crossover parts (with 6mH air coils. Iron core saves ~$40/pair)
                      That settles it - the Tarkus design will rock out like no 2 way can, and it's within budget.
                      OP, don't worry, we will help you build your crossovers. Very common n00b problem.

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Check your private messages

Comment

Working...
                        X