X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geoff Millar
    replied
    Originally posted by fpitas View Post
    Something to keep in mind is that any film cap is sensitive to the heat of soldering. If a noob overheats the leads, the plastic will melt.
    Been there, done that, cost me $20!

Geoff

Leave a comment:

• fpitas
    replied
    Something to keep in mind is that any film cap is sensitive to the heat of soldering. If a noob overheats the leads, the plastic will melt.

Leave a comment:

• Geoff Millar
    replied
    I used them when I did my last project, Michael Chua's "Larks". My supplier was out of stock of the value needed for my usual brand.

However, as I only used them as one component of a three-cap crossover, I don't know what effect they had on the sound, if any. The speakers sounded OK, but.

The Audyns were more expensive than the usual brand.

Geoff

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied
    Originally posted by dynamo View Post
    Yeah I missed that, I just breezed over it as film.
    It is a film cap, just metal deposited onto to the film rather than have a separate conductor sheet. Metalized means really thin layers of metal compared to foil types. Foils will therefore be larger and have higher current carrying capacity, complete overkill for probably most audio applications.

Leave a comment:

• dynamo
    replied
    Yeah I missed that, I just breezed over it as film.

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied
    These are not film/foil caps in Q4 and Plus models. Those are metallized. The True-Copper and some others are F/F, but not those.

Later,
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• dynamo
    replied
    They are reliable and sound great. The Q4 are one of the best capacitor values out there. I’ve used and reused a ton of them and never broken a lead. The CapPlus also sound great but don’t have the price to performance ratio of the Q4, which are about perfect at their value price. They don’t seem to add anything or change anything about the sound.

Leave a comment:

• PEB
    started a topic Audyn caps - reliability/quality?

Audyn caps - reliability/quality?

Haven't tried these caps yet, but I like that they are film/foil at a budget price.

Just wondering how these caps hold up during crossover build. Heard one report that the leads break or pull out during soldering.
Working...
X