MWAF Class change?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MWAF Class change?

Wondering what you guys would think of modifying the "Dayton Audio" class for MWAF. As most of you know, currently it's passive only. Personally, I'd like to see the folks at PE allow Active and Passive designs in this class. What do you think?

And please, let's stay on topic, this thread isn't intended to be a debate between "Active" and "Passive" speakers, thanks.
    My "No-Name" CC Speaker
    Kerry's "Silverbacks"
    Ben's Synchaeta's for Mom
    The Archers
    Rick's "db" Desktop CBT Arrays
    The Gandalf's

I would say no. Active stuff belongs in Unlimited.

Later,
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Bah! Active speakers are garbage!

Just messing with you ;)

Why not just run them in open unlimited? I feel like if anything needed a tweak it would be the $200 mark either being bumped up or an additional class of say $750 and up. A $201 pair of moderately equipped three ways could be faced with a monument of Accutons and Raal, lol.

I personally wouldn’t care if they allowed active but there is already a class for it. Perhaps if you only used Dayton branded amps and dsp.

Comment

When the ~$212 pair can beat all else in the >$200 category as well at times, I see the need for a $750+ category as unnecessary as well.

Later,
        Wolf
        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Originally posted by dynamo View Post
          Bah! Active speakers are garbage!

Just messing with you ;)

Why not just run them in open unlimited? I feel like if anything needed a tweak it would be the $200 mark either being bumped up or an additional class of say $750 and up. A $201 pair of moderately equipped three ways could be faced with a monument of Accutons and Raal, lol.

I personally wouldn’t care if they allowed active but there is already a class for it. Perhaps if you only used Dayton branded amps and dsp.
          I hear ya! Yea, what brought this to mind was the new Dayton amplifiers with DSP built in. Personally, not sure I would ever run a fully active speaker. But....I've been playing around with some active/passive 3-way's recently and having a blast with em. The advantages for the active woofer in a 3-way are hard to ignore, especially if you're looking to keep the cabinets a reasonable size.
          My "No-Name" CC Speaker
          Kerry's "Silverbacks"
          The Archers
          The Gandalf's

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
            I would say no. Active stuff belongs in Unlimited.

Later,
            Wolf
            Technically, when you look at the descriptions for the classes, it's somewhat vague as to what can or can't be entered. Where do you draw the line for the "Dayton" class and decide everything else belongs in "Unlimited"? No Horns, No Dipoles, No Arrays, etc.?

My thought process was this: They are looking to promote the Dayton brand with this Class, why would they care whether it's active or passive as long as it's their drivers and/or amps?

My "No-Name" CC Speaker
            Kerry's "Silverbacks"
            The Archers
            The Gandalf's

Comment

I actually tried way back to enter powered subs that were integrated into left and right speakers, and the response was that they are not to be in the Dayton category if they have powered plate amps or active xovers. Last year, the guy who carved his PS180 speakers had a powered sub, and as not allowed to enter the sub in the Dayton category for just this reason. You can enter horns, dipoles and arrays in the other classes, as long as they aren't powered or actively xovered.

This is their set of rules, not mine, and they have stoutly adhered to these rules since the inception of the 'hosted by PE' version of the event started back in 2008. I don't see what this requested change would actually have in terms of an advantage except that you'd have virtually 2 categories with the same criteria, sans the use or non-use of Dayton drivers.

Later,
              Wolf

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

When the ~$212 pair can beat all else in the >$200 category as well at times, I see the need for a $750+ category as unnecessary as well.

Later,
                Wolf
                Did that happen?

Comment

This is their set of rules, not mine, and they have stoutly adhered to these rules since the inception of the 'hosted by PE' version of the event started back in 2008. I don't see what this requested change would actually have in terms of an advantage except that you'd have virtually 2 categories with the same criteria, sans the use or non-use of Dayton drivers.

Later,
                  Wolf
                  I understand, only trying to start a dialog on the subject. Agreed, there wouldn't be any huge advantage. Was thinking they might consider loosening the strings a little on the Dayton Class, especially since the Unlimited Class is so diverse. Not sure about last year or the year before, but the last year I competed in Unlimited, it went further into the night than they had hoped. I suspect with the way DSP is coming on, the entries in the Unlimited class will continue to grow. This could be a way to move some of those entries into a different class, maybe even up the entries per class more.

My "No-Name" CC Speaker
                  Kerry's "Silverbacks"
                  The Archers
                  The Gandalf's

Comment

What was it before it was DIYDayton? ( which is what it was called before Midwest Audiofest) My first visit as a spectator was where I heard wolf's amazing sophomores and ed frost with his huge, round topped painted 'storms' I think that's what they were called...

I was in awe of you guys and what you were able to build... and how good they sounded. Seriously, Ben's Sophmores changed my life. I never heard sound like that coming from a cabinet that size. Within a few years I had an entry of my own to show. It was that inspiring. I went with my father, best road trip of my life.

TomZ
                    *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
                    *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Originally posted by tomzarbo View Post
                      What was it before it was DIYDayton? ( which is what it was called before Midwest Audiofest)
                      DIY Dayton/Dayton DIY, same difference, but it was not put on by PE until 2008.
                      Thank you for your thoughts on my ruby-red little boogers!

Kevin, the main DISadvantage with the Unlimited Class is the time it takes to set the entries up. This is the main reason it was moved to Friday night and removed from the longer day. If they made the Dayton power-able, this would also open up a time problem to get everything played.

OM- yes, it did!

Later,
                      Wolf

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

[QUOTE=Wolf;n1428751]

Kevin, the main DISadvantage with the Unlimited Class is the time it takes to set the entries up. This is the main reason it was moved to Friday night and removed from the longer day. If they made the Dayton power-able, this would also open up a time problem to get everything played.

Later,
                        Wolf[/QUOTE, ]

Good point, time is an issue, and I won't argue Active designs take a little longer to set up and dial in. Since you brought up the time issue, one thing they could do to help on that is enforce better the "One Entry" per contestant. It's been overlooked many times in the past.

My "No-Name" CC Speaker
                        Kerry's "Silverbacks"
                        The Archers
                        The Gandalf's

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin K. View Post

..one thing they could do to help on that is enforce better the "One Entry" per contestant. It's been overlooked many times in the past.
                          Last year, all I can speak for, they specifically allowed two as part of the rules. Not getting to go to many events, I really appreciated being able to enter multiples. I have two planned for this year and am really hoping they allow at least two again.

Comment

Last year, all I can speak for, they specifically allowed two as part of the rules. Not getting to go to many events, I really appreciated being able to enter multiples. I have two planned for this year and am really hoping they allow at least two again.
                            It's been a couple of years since I attended, wasn't aware they made the change and allowed two recently. Sounds good to me, hope they do it again.
                            My "No-Name" CC Speaker
                            Kerry's "Silverbacks"
                            The Archers
                            The Gandalf's

Comment

I agree, I am hoping to get two done this year.
                              I think it is a good testament to the state of the hobby that so many people are participating that there are time constraints. Not just MWAF, but InDIYana and Grand Rapids also had enough speakers to go well past the planned event times.

I think an extra category (e.g., $750+) is an unlikely option due to the time constraints - even if the # of speakers remains the same, switching between categories takes some extra time. I would be all for upping the $200 limit to $250 or $300, but I am biased as my entry last year was $201.

Comment

Working...
                              X