ARS300 woeswth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ARS300 woeswth

I am going to get inside the sub to reglue the blown out ports, and check the 12 inch driver to see if the vc got smoked. My son got a bit frisky with the level control with his buddies, and at the least blew the port tubes loose. If the driver is toast, would the HSU be a great option for the cost? If it would work as well as the original, I would be happy, but, I don't mind spending more on a driver that would be substantially better in the enclosure, as long as it's not crazy expensive. I only really care about it working well for music, and filling out the low end with clean and punchy tight sound. I don't care if it doesn't go below 30 hz. I'm wanting punch between 35-50hz mainly. I will use it with dual 8" cd horn speakers that are 92 db sensitivity, and I usually don't play over 95 db at a LP 9 feet away. Thanks in advance. Glenn.
    https://www.parts-express.com/hsu-re...BoCgoMQAvD_BwE

It might not make 35 in 2.2cf (I think you know how to model this stuff, right?) but should be strong from 40-60 if it's tuned in the mid 20s? ? ?
    300 RMS shouldn't be an issue if it's boost-less?

Comment

Thanks, Chris. The only modeling that I've done has been simple box models to get internal volume and fb. Strong 40-60 would probably work well for the bulk of the music that I listen to. My main towers do 35 hz, but 50 is where they start rolling off without a bit of boost. The mains sound great on their own, but adding a sub really fills the bottom and gives the kick drum and bass guitar what my ears like. I've read good reviews on the HSU and love the cost, but if you have a better driver suggestion, I'm wide open there too. Thanks! Glenn.

Comment

Is my guess of 2.2cf (internal) close? What are the port details (one review of that sub said it was slot-ported, but all the ones I saw looked to have a pair of round tubes)?
        That amp has NO boost I take it?

Comment

15×15×21, 3/4", with a slight angle on the bottom front that measures 17 inches on the depth. About 2 cubes with 2- 3×11 front ports. AR ARs300...no boost...sweepable crossover, level, 0-180 phase switch on plate amp. Glenn.

Comment

So that tunes that box to the high 30s.
            Still, w/the sub amp set to 80Hz (LP) in that box that driver should play from high 30s-90 (60 being the peak).
            W/the sub's LP set to 50Hz, you should get a range of high 30s-70 (50 being the peak).
            At 300wRMS Xmax might get breached below 30Hz (unless the amp's got an HP filter).

Comment

My assumption is that it would function like a hifi kick bin, and would be adding substantial clean impact to rock/prog/fusion, which is mostly what I listen to. Correct me if I'm wrong, please. I got this sub several years back from a band mate for 20 dollars, so if there is a much better choice that you would use I'd rather put a more capable driver in it than to cheap out just to replace it later. I suffer from serious analysis paralysis! Lol Glenn.

Comment

Welp, my 18 year old little bass head blew the driver. This is why he doesn't get to play with my horn setups. I got both of the ports glued back in, so now it's decision time. PSA..wear gloves when removing and installing stamped basket drivers...that sucker got both of my index fingers right in the bend of the knuckle. Super glue to the rescue! I'm going to put a new driver in, but I can't decide if I should take a chance on the buyout, or go for one of the RSS , and potentially retune the enclosure. Decisions. Glenn.

Comment

Chris, thanks again for checking that out for me! I put the HSU in, and it sounds great. I'm playing around with it now, and have the crossover at 40hz. It's getting tested with Queensryche atm, and I'm digging it. I'll give it some time to get broken in well, but so far, so good. There's nothing fancy about the driver, but it is well built and solid, and has a meaty surround, and fairly rigid cone. I put some adhesive backed foam pieces on the outer basket spokes to dampen the steel. Right out of the box it sounds pretty great for a 75 dollar driver. Glenn.

Comment

You are most welcome - glad it worked out.

Comment

Working...
                    X