No announcement yet.

Carmody's Classix II help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As long as the cap and resistor are wired together (in series w/ea. other), it doesn't matter which end (cap or resist.) goes to ground.
    (It also doesn't matter if you've got them (actually looks like a "Zobel") at the end of the filter (next to the driver), OR if you've got C3 (10uF) next to the driver. Electrically, both the cap and Zobel can be thought of as wired in parallel w/the woofer's terms. ("across" it)).

What DOES matter is that neither one of those can go ahead of (to the left of, or on the amp side of) the coil (L3). That would be bad.

Comment

• LameNameDave
      LameNameDave commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Chris!
      I was pretty sure I was alright, but I've learned to never trust my own judgement!

Originally posted by Geoff Millar View Post

Yes.

Of course, the crossover is wired the same. I 'cheated' and put my crossover on two boards, it was my first attempt at soldering a crossover. One board each for the tweeter and woofer.

Looks terrible, sounds fine.

I used speaker grilles and Jimi Hendrix decoupage to hide my alleged woodworking skills and the DC160s drivers, which aren't very snappy-looking.

Geoff
    Geoff, would you post a pic of them? I would love to see what you did with the Hendrix finish. I had contemplated decoupage on one of my drumkits. Glenn.

Comment

Originally posted by Drummer View Post

Geoff, would you post a pic of them? I would love to see what you did with the Hendrix finish. I had contemplated decoupage on one of my drumkits. Glenn.
      But they look awful - my first attempt at building and finishing cabinets and my first attempt at decoupage! I didn't have a router so just cut the speaker holes with a jigsaw and Masonite. The grilles use grey material to provide some relief from the black.

I'd love to remake them now that I have a slightly higher skill level but would have to find more photos. I made the backs removable for repairs so the join is too visible. My only excuse is that they're used in our garage so WAF is less critical.

The pics were from guitar magazines, Mojo, etc. Some turned out to be too thick for purpose, unfortunately. I used "Mod Podge" as a glue and sealer.

Geoff
      Click image for larger version  Name:	Classix II JH1.JPG Views:	0 Size:	806.5 KB ID:	1434046

Comment

Dude!!! I love those! Rock and roll is rough and raw, and Hendrix personified it. I wouldn't redo them at all. They're a timeline of your journey with speakers. I had ideas of headshot photos as a wall of greats on drum shells, with each shell representing eras...ie. swing, straight ahead, bebop, fusion, rock, progressive, etc. All of my influences and idols. Your speakers are killer as they are. Thanks a bunch for sharing! Glenn.

Comment

Originally posted by Drummer View Post
          Dude!!! I love those! Rock and roll is rough and raw, and Hendrix personified it. I wouldn't redo them at all. They're a timeline of your journey with speakers. I had ideas of headshot photos as a wall of greats on drum shells, with each shell representing eras...ie. swing, straight ahead, bebop, fusion, rock, progressive, etc. All of my influences and idols. Your speakers are killer as they are. Thanks a bunch for sharing! Glenn.
          Thanks for the kind words, just as well you can't see them in the flesh! I think I put too many pics on the cabinets, but.

The photo on the top left of the front speaker is from his LA Forum show in April 1970, probably one of the three best shows he played that year. There's an audience recording available, low fi but fantastic playing.

I won't be doing this with the Classix 2.5s - when I get around to building them - as the cabinets are much larger and will need a much higher level of finish.

I read somewhere that Stuart Copeland from The Police had a photo of Sting put on his snare drum top so he could wallop him, a sort of drummer's voodoo doll.

Geoff

Click image for larger version  Name:	Classix II JH3.JPG Views:	0 Size:	639.1 KB ID:	1434050

Comment

Working...
          X