Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modeling and Design Software recommendations

Hey everyone,

While I am new to this forum, I've been building speakers for most of my life off and on. I started with "The speaker design cookbook" RadioShack edition in the 80's when I was just a kid, then Bass Box 5 when I was in my 20's and hornresp and raw math playing with horns for professional use in my 30's... Now I am in my 40's my goals have changed again to things that sound better and my wife will tolerate in the house/car etc... I got out of the hobby for a few years, but I am back and looking for a good design system for mainly Sealed, Bass Reflex (including passive radiator), band pass, & possibly transmission line designs.

Bassbox 6 seems like an obvious choice, but it seems kind of stale since it hasn't been updated in 7 years, and version 6 seems to be over 10 years old... I emailed Harris tech asking if it would be updated anytime soon and got no response. What is everyone else using? What would you all recommend? I am running a PC.

Thanks, and it's good to be back, and I'm excited to get back into it and start contributing here.

WinISD ( linearteam.org - sorry craig ) seems popular. (TLs are a different kind of "duck")
    XO design has shot ahead by leaps & bounds w/the advent of Jeff Bagby's "PassiveCrossoverDesign" (and nearly half-a-dozen work-alikes that followed).
    The XO software all makes use of drivers' individual .frd (freq. resp.) and .zma (impedance) files for modeling.

Have fun. (HT's offerings haven't kept up, and I THINK they've got "XOverPro" - or such, which does NOT use F/Z files - don't buy that one)

BTW - all the good ones are FREE !

Comment

I use Hornresp for modelling, and my Excel workbooks to generate the Hornresp sim parameters - see https://www.diysubwoofers.org/sheets/
      For crossover design, I use XSim.
      For measurement purposes, I use DATS for impedance, and REW and a good USB mic for frequency response measurements.
      Brian Steele
      www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

Welcome and great first post. I have been wondering about the functional differences between Xsim and Jeff’s Passive Crossover Designer? They are obviously both great tools but I was wondering the differences.
        Last edited by stephenmarklay; 01-10-2020, 11:35 AM.

Comment

I use WinISD, then PCD, then Xsim: box, adjust for bsc,etc, then model the crossover in Xsim.

Comment

XSim provides a bit more flexibility in the x-over design (you basically "draw" the x-over that you want to use, and you can add and remove elements very easily). However PCD has one big advantage that XSim does not offer - target curves. With XSim you basically have to eyeball your way to a result that looks like what you want to get. With PCD, you can configure a target curve for each driver and then adjust the filter components to match the adjust response to the target.

Jeff's not making use of one of Excel's great features though - it's "Goal Seek" analysis feature. That feature could probably be used to find the best components to get the best match to the chosen target curve.
            Brian Steele
            www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

Please don't forget David Ralph's WinPCD. It's Jeff Bagby's PCD without MS Excel.

www.speakerdesign.net
              Some people are addicted to Vicodin. I'm addicted to speaker building.

The Chorales - Usher 8945A/Vifa XT25TG Build
              ESP Project 101 Lateral MOSFET Amplifier
              LM4780 Parallel Chipamp
              Sonata Soundbar Project
              The Renditions - Active/Passive Towers

Comment

You should be able to make up your own target curves. Just use "textbook" filters on some "dummy" files you can make up that all have "flat" freq. AND imp. curves.
                I've got 4n & 8n .zma files, and 90dB .frd files. If I need lower SPL curves, I just add some series resistance (which WOULD alter the z data). Using an appropriate L-pad shuld let you target any SPL & Z

Comment

Originally posted by hongrn View Post
                  Please don't forget David Ralph's WinPCD. It's Jeff Bagby's PCD without MS Excel.

www.speakerdesign.net
                  Also from Dave is WinFilters which can export target curves for use with Xsim. Dave if you read this the SPL adjust feature for the target export curves does not seem to be working.
                  John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

WinISD and HornResp. I wouldn't sweat the age of basic box software, the math hasn't changed. HornResp is updated on what seems like a monthly basis, with additional features being added each time. Once I do the calcs in those I physically model the box with Sketchup.
                    www.billfitzmaurice.com
                    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

BassBox works great for box sizes including taking into account internal bracing and vent volumes, producing list of panels needed. I've found it over estimates port lengths.

Hornresp is an animal unto itself. Awesome program that just keeps having more features added to it. Hard to find all the different features and nuances that make it so versatile and great. Free

VituixCad is great for crossover design and evaluation. I've never used it for box design. Has the ability to import multiple FRD files for individual drivers off axis response. Fast crossover optimizer with the ability to set target curves for individual drivers. Free

Visiton Boxsim. Steep learning curve. Has the ability to use multiple amps, DSP. Slow but effective crossover optimizer that will work on DSP settings. Good graphs for polar and directivity. Not great for box design, but allows you to enter box dimensions and driver positions in three axis, helps with seeing box impact on frequency response. Will work with non-Visiton drivers. Free

Those are my four goto programs.

Comment

www.speakerdesign.net
                        have no fear. I had not forgotten. I actually never knew it So thank you so much for that.

Comment

Unibox for modeling enclosure bass alignments and Dave's WinPCD for crossover design. I also always run my designs in XSIM as well.

WinPCD is not clunky like the original Excel based PCD is, but it can only do parallel crossovers, not series (not a show stopper for most of us).
                          Craig

The lowest possible F3 box alignment is not always the best alignment.

Designing and building speaker projects are like playing with adult Lego Blocks for me.

Comment

www.speakerdesign.net
                            Hi Hong,

Where've ya been?
                            Craig

The lowest possible F3 box alignment is not always the best alignment.

Designing and building speaker projects are like playing with adult Lego Blocks for me.

Comment

Originally posted by PWR RYD View Post

Hi Hong,

Where've ya been?
                              Hi Craig,

Taking a short sabbatical to get my daughter ready for college. Just acquired a new 4-channel oscilloscope and seriously getting back to speakers and amps. Still have a lot to learn from this bunch, so time to end hibernation!
                              Some people are addicted to Vicodin. I'm addicted to speaker building.

The Chorales - Usher 8945A/Vifa XT25TG Build
                              ESP Project 101 Lateral MOSFET Amplifier
                              LM4780 Parallel Chipamp
                              Sonata Soundbar Project
                              The Renditions - Active/Passive Towers

Comment

Working...
                              X