Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DIY kit to upgrade current setup

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by djg View Post
    I would take a close look at this thread. Bass bins for Continuum and Kairos. A full range 3 way (2 piece) design that would take advantage of your high watt high current simple stereo amp. Like an upmarket Tarkus. Even though the bass bins are an add on and not part of the original design like the Tarkus, Mr. Bagby responded to many requests for a 3 way Continuum.

    The link to his design paper in post #1 might interest you. The Continnums are quite affordable, the Kairos pricier.

    Upon reflection, this to me seems like some of the very best DIY has to offer, and fits your system.

    The Kairos and Continuum Three-Way Loudspeakers - Techtalk Speaker Building, Audio, Video Discussion Forum
    +1

    If I were to do a strictly 2 channel system I would go for a set of big 3ways. I know lots of people prefer 2way monitors and a sub, nothing wrong with that approach just a matter of personal preference.
    Carbon13

    Comment


    • #17
      Thank you all for the suggestions! Quite a few designs to consider now. Tarkus, J. Bagby's 3 ways as well. Hmmmmm.... I'll read through those posts before deciding and hopefully once all the components are purchased, have a build thread out for your viewing pleasure

      Comment


      • #18
        Forgot about this. Kit available. Click image for larger version

Name:	SB12.3.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	1429267

        Zaph|Audio - SB12.3 3-Way Tower

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by djg View Post
          Forgot about this. Kit available. Click image for larger version

Name:	SB12.3.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	1429267

          Zaph|Audio - SB12.3 3-Way Tower
          I saw that and immediately measured the room to see if it would work and it just might but will require some adjusting of the setup, sooo.....it's on the shortlist!!

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by basilbrush View Post
            Thank you all for the suggestions! Quite a few designs to consider now. Tarkus, J. Bagby's 3 ways as well. Hmmmmm.... I'll read through those posts before deciding and hopefully once all the components are purchased, have a build thread out for your viewing pleasure
            Well, you have some great options from which to choose! And you have a great budget.

            You can be assured that they will all sound good and have had many hours of work put into their development: but they will sound different to each other and to your ESS Monitors. From all accounts, the ESS were/are very highly regarded (and priced accordingly on the s/h market) but the mids are a bit lacking and the bass a little fuzzy.

            I think that whichever speaker discussed above you go for, those issues will not be a problem.

            To help you choose, maybe have a think about:

            how useful are the designers' notes and product reviews, how do they match your expectations and listening requirements?

            how will they look in the room? Will they be too heavy to move? If, as with Zaph's SB based speakers, they have to be placed a relatively long way from walls and corners, will that be an issue? It's great that he makes those recommendations, of course.

            will the cabinet be easy or hard to assemble and finish?

            how easy/hard will it be to assemble the crossovers (A: probably much the same, unless you do an MTM)

            are the drivers readily available?

            do you have enough amplifier power to drive them without any trouble?

            etc


            Please keep us informed and don't hesitate to ask questions and seek advice.

            Geoff

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Geoff Millar View Post

              Well, you have some great options from which to choose! And you have a great budget.

              You can be assured that they will all sound good and have had many hours of work put into their development: but they will sound different to each other and to your ESS Monitors. From all accounts, the ESS were/are very highly regarded (and priced accordingly on the s/h market) but the mids are a bit lacking and the bass a little fuzzy.

              I think that whichever speaker discussed above you go for, those issues will not be a problem.

              To help you choose, maybe have a think about:

              how useful are the designers' notes and product reviews, how do they match your expectations and listening requirements?

              how will they look in the room? Will they be too heavy to move? If, as with Zaph's SB based speakers, they have to be placed a relatively long way from walls and corners, will that be an issue? It's great that he makes those recommendations, of course.

              will the cabinet be easy or hard to assemble and finish?

              how easy/hard will it be to assemble the crossovers (A: probably much the same, unless you do an MTM)

              are the drivers readily available?

              do you have enough amplifier power to drive them without any trouble?

              etc


              Please keep us informed and don't hesitate to ask questions and seek advice.

              Geoff
              Thanks Geoff,

              Yeah it's easy to get carried away with what they look like and you're right, they're all good designs and I probably won't go wrong. Just need to make the right choice for me.



              Comment


              • #22
                I own the Solstice system and love it, but there is no way it will keep up with the Statements in the bass department. It may reach as low, but doesn't have the displacement to pressurize the room. I was impressed by that capability of the Statements in a very large room where I heard them. Haven't heard most of the other designs you are considering.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Here's a link to the designers' listening impressions for the Statements: I have to say that if I had the budget and the room, I'd find these hard to resist.

                  Driver cost might be within your $ limit.

                  http://www.speakerdesignworks.com/Statements_4.html

                  Geoff

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Those are the original Statements. The Statement 2s have a different midrange which the designers like even more.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by a4eaudio View Post
                      Those are the original Statements. The Statement 2s have a different midrange which the designers like even more.
                      Indeed, my mistake. And look like even better value.

                      http://speakerdesignworks.com/Statement_II_2.html

                      Geoff

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        http://speakerdesignworks.com/Anthology_3.html
                        The Anthologies by Jim and Curt are another option with open sb mids and dual RS225 woofer drivers. Paul Carmodys Sunflowers are another to look at, and they're a hybrid ported woofer/open baffle mtm that have been raved about. Have you checked out any open baffle/ H frame/ U frame setups? They're a different animal, but they have converted many more conventional speaker listeners over. They can throw a soundstage that is flat out incredible, but they have a need for space, and the bass is wholly different from the presentation of any boxed enclosure. Two 15's per side and some Steven Stills, and.........well....I'll not forget that anytime soon. Listening to a great rig with great OB's was as ear opening as the first time I ever listened to Klipschorns. Glenn.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Drummer View Post
                          http://speakerdesignworks.com/Anthology_3.html
                          The Anthologies by Jim and Curt are another option with open sb mids and dual RS225 woofer drivers. Paul Carmodys Sunflowers are another to look at, and they're a hybrid ported woofer/open baffle mtm that have been raved about. Have you checked out any open baffle/ H frame/ U frame setups? They're a different animal, but they have converted many more conventional speaker listeners over. They can throw a soundstage that is flat out incredible, but they have a need for space, and the bass is wholly different from the presentation of any boxed enclosure. Two 15's per side and some Steven Stills, and.........well....I'll not forget that anytime soon. Listening to a great rig with great OB's was as ear opening as the first time I ever listened to Klipschorns. Glenn.
                          I'm familiar with the Sunflowers but not any other OB's. Any recommendations?

                          Right now the Anthology's are the top pick for me after doing a bit of reading as they are easy to build and a bit more forgiving of badly recorded music it seems. Only thing is that finding the right diameter pvc pipe in NZ is tricky.

                          Statements II's coming in close second. Unfortunately Zaph's SB12.3 might be a bit too big for the room.

                          Cheers!

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Looks like Humble Homemade Hifi also have a kit coming out soon. Might be worth taking a look!

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by basilbrush View Post



                              Right now the Anthology's are the top pick for me after doing a bit of reading as they are easy to build and a bit more forgiving of badly recorded music it seems. Only thing is that finding the right diameter pvc pipe in NZ is tricky.


                              Cheers!
                              According to the website http://speakerdesignworks.com/Anthology_3.html, the pipe required is 6 5/8" outside diameter and 6" inside; I think (think!) that the inside diameter is the critical one, the wall thickness is for strength: someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

                              I would be surprised if you couldn't find 6" (15.2cm) internal diameter pipe somewhere, particularly from a plumbing supplies store, but 150mm is available from Bunnings, maybe that would be OK?

                              Here's a build thread which might prove interesting: https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/mult...ogy-build.html

                              Mr Holtz, the designer, is a frequent visitor to this Forum and would be able to advise you on this matter.

                              Geoff

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Hi Guys!

                                My ears are burning.

                                The Anthology's are the design I recommend most to music lovers that have varied musical tastes and CD's that span several decades. Curt really nailed the crossover as usual and the driver selection just does everything well whether its home theater, Ozzy or Bach.

                                The PVC mid tubes have a lot of fudge room. The PVC I have available locally is available as schedule 40 or 80. I picked the heavier wall variety but anything close will work fine. Sonotubes would work just fine too. The end goal is to create a tube that allows the mid back wave to exit the rear of the speaker and isolate the the bass compartment without impeding the back wave too much from the design. You can also compensate for different rooms etc. by simply varying the amount of foam you line the mid tunnel with. Its simply very flexible and easily tuned for different situations.

                                HTH

                                Jim

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X