Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DIY kit to upgrade current setup

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by Drummer View Post
    http://speakerdesignworks.com/Anthology_3.html
    The Anthologies by Jim and Curt are another option with open sb mids and dual RS225 woofer drivers. Paul Carmodys Sunflowers are another to look at, and they're a hybrid ported woofer/open baffle mtm that have been raved about. Have you checked out any open baffle/ H frame/ U frame setups? They're a different animal, but they have converted many more conventional speaker listeners over. They can throw a soundstage that is flat out incredible, but they have a need for space, and the bass is wholly different from the presentation of any boxed enclosure. Two 15's per side and some Steven Stills, and.........well....I'll not forget that anytime soon. Listening to a great rig with great OB's was as ear opening as the first time I ever listened to Klipschorns. Glenn.
    I have to agree with you on this, having recently heard Charlie Laub's nude system at the Meniscus/CSS get together in the fall of 2019. He had twin 15's in an open baffle set up with a 15" for the mid and a pair of opposed tweeters that was very dynamic and uncolored to my ears. Can't say much about the imaging but there are a lot of factors that affect that. I really liked that system.

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by Jim Holtz View Post
      Hi Guys!

      My ears are burning.

      The Anthology's are the design I recommend most to music lovers that have varied musical tastes and CD's that span several decades. Curt really nailed the crossover as usual and the driver selection just does everything well whether its home theater, Ozzy or Bach.

      The PVC mid tubes have a lot of fudge room. The PVC I have available locally is available as schedule 40 or 80. I picked the heavier wall variety but anything close will work fine. Sonotubes would work just fine too. The end goal is to create a tube that allows the mid back wave to exit the rear of the speaker and isolate the the bass compartment without impeding the back wave too much from the design. You can also compensate for different rooms etc. by simply varying the amount of foam you line the mid tunnel with. Its simply very flexible and easily tuned for different situations.

      HTH

      Jim
      Thanks for clarifying Jim. FYI, I've been drooling over your designs for a few years now hah!

      With regards to the Anthology's, I'd like to stick as close to what you and Curt intended with the mid tubes if I can. However, If I can't source the right size tubing, would building the tunnels from MDF like the Statements series work?

      Cheers

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by basilbrush View Post

        Thanks for clarifying Jim. FYI, I've been drooling over your designs for a few years now hah!

        With regards to the Anthology's, I'd like to stick as close to what you and Curt intended with the mid tubes if I can. However, If I can't source the right size tubing, would building the tunnels from MDF like the Statements series work?

        Cheers
        The mid tubes can be created out of MDF like the Statements but should be 6" ID to match the PVC tubes in the original design. There will be no performance differences. The PVC tubes are just much easier.

        HTH

        Jim
        Last edited by Jim Holtz; 01-15-2020, 11:08 AM.

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by Jim Holtz View Post
          The mid tubes can be created out of MDF like the Statements but should be 6" ID to match the PVC tubes in the original design. There will be no performance differences. The PVC tubes are just much easier.
          Does that apply the other way too...Will 6" PVC work in the Statements rather than MDF tubes?

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by a4eaudio View Post

            Does that apply the other way too...Will 6" PVC work in the Statements rather than MDF tubes?
            No, unfortunately not. The size of PVC that we needed for the Statements W4-1337's was 5" ID PVC which was only available special order at local home stores. I could have gotten it through a local plumbing company supplier at $100 for a 20 foot length. So, I decided building the mid tunnels out of MDF was an obvious choice given the cost difference.

            If I could have used PVC at a reasonable price I would have used it in a heart beat.

            Jim

            Comment

            Working...
            X