Removing baffle screw from the PE chinese speakerboxes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing baffle screw from the PE chinese speakerboxes

I have a very old speaker box enclosure I bought from PE over 10 years ago, and pulled it out of the box to finally use! It was the Chinese boxes that were very popular for many years. I got 3 of the 4 screws out, but couldn’t get the 4th one, it just keeps spinning. I believe the threaded insert is spinning inside the box. Is there any way to get it out? I suspect I’m not the only person who’s had this issue.

I assume the screw holds the baffle on? And you don't want to mess up the baffle? Since you have three out, try putting a putty knife between the cab and baffle adjacent to the spinning screw and apply upward pressure while turning the screw slowly. Might work. Or...

Cut the head off with a cutoff wheel (carefully). Deal with the results when you see what's what. Assuming it's not a countersunk head.

Comment

• Bobulator
      Bobulator commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, I tried a putty knife to pull up on the front baffle while unscrewing, no dice. I believe the nuts used have no barbs, just rely on glue to hold them in from the back. Nothing to dig into while they are spinning, even under pulling pressure. I've built several speakers using these boxes over the years, and had others spin, but I was always able to get them out.

Problem with cutting the head off is that the baffle screw is in a counterbored hole about 1/2" deep, so can't get a cutoff tool into it without damaging the baffle. Can't drill it out either, as of course it spins! I'm usually pretty creative with things like this, but I'm stumped!

Originally posted by djg View Post
    I assume the screw holds the baffle on? And you don't want to mess up the baffle? Since you have three out, try putting a putty knife between the cab and baffle adjacent to the spinning screw and apply upward pressure while turning the screw slowly. Might work. Or...

Cut the head off with a cutoff wheel (carefully). Deal with the results when you see what's what. Assuming it's not a countersunk head.
    I agree on the putty knife. For inserts, you want to secure them with glue or staples or something. One instance of what you're experiencing is enough to never use inserts without additional effort again.

Comment

I do have some considerable experience with stuck screws. Try immobilizing the screw with the putty knife pushed up hard against the shaft while drilling the head. Like hammer it. With a sharp edge you could possibly cut right through the screw, if it's soft. Or try superglue to immobilize the screw to drill. Last resort, a hole saw the size of the counterbore to drill a hole through the baffle. Repair as needed.

This is where you decide if it's easier to make a new baffle

Comment

If I understand the issue (w/out any pics), I'd try drilling about an 1/8" hole at about a 45* angle down into the baffle to try to "intercept" that insert, so you can push against the side of it - maybe w/enough pressure to stop ti from spinning? ?

Comment

+1

Comment

I'd pick up a pack of those door wood shims and space them around the bad insert. Tap them in until the insert holds where you can unscrew or keep taping and pull the insert out of the box. You will want to put the other baffle screws back into the baffle so you can get pressure on the loose one. The multiple shims should help reduce the damage to the edges.
            John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Originally posted by Bobulator View Post
              I have a very old speaker box enclosure I bought from PE over 10 years ago, and pulled it out of the box to finally use! It was the Chinese boxes that were very popular for many years. I got 3 of the 4 screws out, but couldn’t get the 4th one, it just keeps spinning. I believe the threaded insert is spinning inside the box. Is there any way to get it out? I suspect I’m not the only person who’s had this issue.
              I got it out! While pulling up with putty knives didn't give enough friction to stop the nut from spinning, I tilted the baffle to squeeze the nut from the side and was able to get enough friction to loosen a twist at a time. Continued to carefully tilt more as the screw came out. Hope this helps anyone else who has issues with removing the front baffles on these popular PE speaker boxes.

Comment

Congratulations.

Comment

Click image for larger versionName:	image_82672.jpgViews:	3Size:	506.8 KBID:	1429683 I've used a "screw extractor" to get the whole thing out. Drill it out, replace with a dowel, re-drill and try again.

Comment

Working...
                  X