X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stephenmarklay
    replied
    Originally posted by dcibel View Post
    A good video for anyone that wants to DIY a router table into a desk or table that they already own.

https://youtu.be/7jRMmOv3jC0
    I have thought a lot about building one. I have not priced that option out. I like the way the woodpecker fence is. It sits in a track so it should be square without worry.

Leave a comment:

• dcibel
    replied
    A good video for anyone that wants to DIY a router table into a desk or table that they already own.

https://youtu.be/7jRMmOv3jC0

Leave a comment:

• stephenmarklay
    commented on 's reply
    Thank you very much for the recommendation. I am going to spend more time looking at this option.

• Derekj
    replied
    Originally posted by stephenmarklay View Post
    Hey thanks! Nope you are not late at all. Neat setup you have there. I played with that table at a local power tool store. How do you like the fence? The little saw you have has a pretty nifty fence but the Kreg table seemed more difficult. The one at the store anyway seemed like to was not set up correctly as it seemed both sides moved independently so I was unsure of how it normally operates.
    The Kreg table has the lock on the fence in the end you see in the photo and then a cam lock on the other end of the fence that locks in a slot in the table. I works well - I try to check the fence for square every month or so. The whole setup works well if you have limited space - the base is a 2'x4' handi board from HD.

Leave a comment:

• anotherTodd
    replied
    4190.[American Woodworker] Router Table.pdf My table is based off the attached file. I too had the Bosch, and while a decent, small table, it is not a real production level piece.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• stephenmarklay
    replied
    Hey thanks! Nope you are not late at all. Neat setup you have there. I played with that table at a local power tool store. How do you like the fence? The little saw you have has a pretty nifty fence but the Kreg table seemed more difficult. The one at the store anyway seemed like to was not set up correctly as it seemed both sides moved independently so I was unsure of how it normally operates.

Leave a comment:

• Derekj
    replied
    I was going to build one up but have decided to just buy something. I do like the table top kind and the Bosch RA1181 seems like a decent choice https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ZF0RDDDN73A72Q

But all of them seem to have some negative points. I don’t really want to spend the money for Kreg. But it seems to garner the most positive reviews.
    the https://www.amazon.com/Precision-Rou...11&s=hi&sr=1-4

Since I don’t have a table saw and when I get one it will also be a smaller bench top type so I won’t be adding on the router extension.

If you have one that you can recommend I would appreciate your input.

Thank you!
    I'm a little late to the conversation but will throw my 2 cents in if you have not made a decision yet - I have the Kreg table - unfortunately it was my third table. Should have just bought it from the get go. I ended up just buying the table as I have a little roll cart with my Dewalt that I have incorporated my router table into. The Kreg table is quite a bit cheaper without the metal stand as well. As a few others have said you are better off waiting a bit and going with the better tool.

Leave a comment:

• skatz
    replied
    If you're still looking, another Rockler ad, they have the Bull Dog cast iron top router table on sale.

Leave a comment:

• stephenmarklay
    replied
    Originally posted by skatz View Post
    Just got an email ad from Rockler, they have various router tables on sale now.
    I am going to check it out. Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• skatz
    replied
    Just got an email ad from Rockler, they have various router tables on sale now.

Leave a comment:

• stephenmarklay
    replied
    This is one of the better articles I found that compare the majority of these portable saws. https://www.toolboxbuzz.com/head-to-...-head-to-head/

I am looking closely at the Makita. I have some Makita tools and I have always liked them.

Leave a comment:

• stephenmarklay
    replied
    Originally posted by donradick View Post

I've had a Dewalt 745 for about 6 years. Mostly happy with it. There are definite reasons why it is the most popular TS (so I've heard).
    Couple of problems with it though.
    Maximum rip capacity (on my version) is 16.5 inches (I think). The newer model added 2 inches or so.
    But sometimes you need to rip 24 inches or so (like for a medium size 3 way), and it's a real PIA to fashion an outrigger fence. (Which I have done)
    It can't accommodate a dado blade, so if you ever need that (I don't), you are SOOL.
    There is another Dewalt TS for $100 more that will rip (IIRC) 27 inches or so.
    But everytime I go to Lowes, I DROOL at this beautiful Delta contractor saw for $599.
    Buy that on a sale, or talk the store manager into selling you the floor demo. That's what I would do now.
    But the Dewalt 745 will produce fine results, given the limitations. Make a nice crosscut jig and you are good to go.
    Hope this helps.
    Thank you very much. That saw has certainly been on my list. In the price range (up to say $600) it’ does seem like there are compromises. Not so much in capacity etc but accuracy. It does seem that level tables, good miters, good motors, and a great fence are not available in any one model. I am trying to minimize these problems. I don’t want to get a saw and still struggle.

I will try and find that Delta saw and take a peek.

Leave a comment:

• donradick
    replied

I am right there with you and tired if using the wrong tool for the job with mediocre results.

I may need to create a “which table saw” thread Since I have space constraints I am thinking about a construction type such as the Dewalt DW745.
    I've had a Dewalt 745 for about 6 years. Mostly happy with it. There are definite reasons why it is the most popular TS (so I've heard).
    Couple of problems with it though.
    Maximum rip capacity (on my version) is 16.5 inches (I think). The newer model added 2 inches or so.
    But sometimes you need to rip 24 inches or so (like for a medium size 3 way), and it's a real PIA to fashion an outrigger fence. (Which I have done)
    It can't accommodate a dado blade, so if you ever need that (I don't), you are SOOL.
    There is another Dewalt TS for $100 more that will rip (IIRC) 27 inches or so.
    But everytime I go to Lowes, I DROOL at this beautiful Delta contractor saw for $599.
    Buy that on a sale, or talk the store manager into selling you the floor demo. That's what I would do now.
    But the Dewalt 745 will produce fine results, given the limitations. Make a nice crosscut jig and you are good to go.
    Hope this helps.

Leave a comment:

• dwigle
    replied
    I built this enclosed base table. Storage, it's quiet with the doors closed and the dust collection is great.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• stephenmarklay
    replied
    I am glad I asked this question. I am going to take the table saw advice. I will get the router table after. Between that and my miter saw I should be a bit better off.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X