Driver compatibility help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driver compatibility help

I want to build a high end bluetooth speaker and also would like to use a ribbon tweeter in the build and use a 3 or 3.5 midrange/fullrange driver to keep the whole package small. I have picked out the Tangband W3-2141 and the Fountek Neo CD-1. I already own the founteks.

The Tang band is 87.5 db sensitivity 8ohm
    ​​​​​ The Neo CD-1 is 90 db sensitivity and 5ohm

I dont think this is a perfect match but not much to pick from in 3.5 range. The 4ohm drivers I've seen have terrible sensitivity though. What do you think?

Thinking of crossing over at 4000 with second order. I've never designed a crossover but that's exactly why I want to. I'm not looking for a super flat sound, just something fun that I can say I did myself. I will be purchasing a calibrated mic to measure frequency response.
    ​​​​
    ​​​​
    ​ ​​​ I suspect I will get tons of responses telling me to build an existing design. I WON'T DO IT! This will be a hard lesson I'm sure but I will most likely learn way more than I would otherwise.

Well- those should be able to blend with the right xover, IMO.
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Don't worry about the sensitivity difference. 90% of the time we need to pad down the more sensitive tweeter to the midbass anyway. I'm listening to that Neo CD 1.0 ribbon right now and it sounds great. I haven't heard the W3-2141 yet but it looks really nice on paper. I assume you will have a sub to fill in the lower 2 octaves?
      Craig

The lowest possible F3 box alignment is not always the best alignment.

Designing and building speaker projects are like playing with adult Lego Blocks for me.

Comment

Yes. I will have a 4" mini subwoofer that will go to 60 hurtz in a vented enclosure. Peerless by Tymphany SDS Series 830855 4

Comment

Originally posted by Codyb852 View Post
          I want to build a high end bluetooth speaker and also would like to use a ribbon tweeter in the build and use a 3 or 3.5 midrange/fullrange driver to keep the whole package small. I have picked out the Tangband W3-2141 and the Fountek Neo CD-1. I already own the founteks.

The Tang band is 87.5 db sensitivity 8ohm
          ​​​​​ The Neo CD-1 is 90 db sensitivity and 5ohm

I dont think this is a perfect match but not much to pick from in 3.5 range. The 4ohm drivers I've seen have terrible sensitivity though. What do you think?

Thinking of crossing over at 4000 with second order. I've never designed a crossover but that's exactly why I want to. I'm not looking for a super flat sound, just something fun that I can say I did myself. I will be purchasing a calibrated mic to measure frequency response.
          ​​​​
          ​​​​
          ​ ​​​ I suspect I will get tons of responses telling me to build an existing design. I WON'T DO IT! This will be a hard lesson I'm sure but I will most likely learn way more than I would otherwise.
          I know you want small, but how small? Can a sealed 4", or 5.25" be an option?

I was looking at bluetooth, and there are multiple versions, and quality levels. I dropped the idea, but I still find it interesting.

The thing about little speakers though, is finding enough room in the box for a x-over!

I think everyone should build there own design.

Comment

I was thinking of doing two of the peerless 4" sealed or one ported. Those look really good for bass output. Some people claiming they outperformed their 6.5's in the bottom end.

Comment

FYI, you CAN get down below 60Hz using your ribbon in a (vented) 2-way.
              An AURA NS3 (very similar to Dayton ND90-8) is a 3-1/2" that'll do an honest 50Hz. (I like it in 0.15cf, but it can go smaller.)
              Dayton's ND105-4 is a 4" that'll do 40Hz. (I use it in about 0.25-0.30 cf, but it's been put in smaller boxes.)

Comment

Great suggestion Chris. I must have missed the Aura while looking around. The dayton needs more space than I would like.
                ​​​​​ RPB, I love the idea of such a small package creating so much sound. The only thing is unfortunately the imaging, soundstage suffers because there is no spread between left and right channels. Wonder if there are any tricks to help with this?

Comment

Working...
                X