No announcement yet.

Windows 7 end of support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a few things I do to help make the Win 10 experience a bit more manageable (Yah - it all can be a PITA)

Be sure to pay attention to the privacy settings at install. Also, spend the time to disable the various pop-ups and ads MS wants to push at you. Settings are buried all over the place. There's lots of online instructions guiding you to where and what the settings are.

Updates. Rather than neglect the regular updates, only to have them delay me at an inopportune moment, I regularly check if updates are available, and get them installed as soon as possible. If you are installing from a disk, check and get the latest updates installed as soon as the initial install is complete.

Bloatware. Win 10 installs several useless apps that no one wants, and pushes new ones in with updates. You can't always uninstall these via the control panel. Grab the free version of Ccleaner, and use it to uninstall the garbage. Now, uninstall Ccleaner as soon as you are done, since it itself becomes a pop-up nuisance. You can always re-install it later.

Anti-virus. I just use Windows defender, and I'm careful where I put my click. I've never had an issue, but I make regular backups, and keep them off-line just in case. Definitely pay close attention to what you click on when grabbing free software, and look closely at the options in the install routine, so you don't end up getting a piggy back "trial version" of some garbage program you don't want.

Comment

I only use Windows Defender for anti-virus, but Malwarebytes regularly keeps me from going to unsafe sites, Defender never has. Prevention is a better alternative than getting infected and hoping MS knows the cure.
      www.billfitzmaurice.com
      www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

One option to consider buying/using is
        https://www.highend-audiopc.com/audiophile-optimizer

I use this on my Win10pro based media PC, but in case you don't use Onedrive and like the OS to be very stripped down similar to W7, then this might work well also for regular use. Plus is that you can always revert back to original state if something does not work.

Feature Details:
        - 300+ optimizations with focus on the best music reproduction possible
        - Disable unnecessary system services and drivers
        - Optimization of your hard drive and file system
        - Optimization of USB & PCIe power management
        - Optimized power and performance settings
        - Optimized CPU and memory management
        - Optimization of task & IRQ priorities
        - Optimization of TCP/IP protocol
        - WASAPI/MMCSS optimization
        - USB Optimization
        - Additional registry tuning
        - Optimization of GUI settings

Comment

Originally posted by chad1376 View Post
          ... spend the time to disable the various pop-ups and ads MS wants to push at you.
          What popups? I can't recall having any popups, other than those related to OneDrive or Live.com (an account I have, but rarely use).

dlr
          WinPCD - Windows .NET Passive Crossover Designer

Dave's Speaker Pages

Comment

Press the windows key, type delivery optimization and click on delivery optimization settings and only allow PC's on my local network. Save some bandwidth for people using limited usage internet on windows 10.

Comment

Jim mentioned that it is still possible to get windows 10 free?

I was signed up to have my win 7 desktop upgraded to 10, it said it was going to happen in time, but it never did. Now I'm concerned to rut it online.

Its a fast computer with a SSD and still worth using. Guess I'll check into upgrade cost as well.

​​​​​​​TomZ
              *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
              *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

• wogg
                wogg commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes, download the Windows media creation tool. Use that tool to do an upgrade and it will carry the license over and activate Windows 10.

How to Use Windows 10 Media Creation Tool

https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/...-tool.3272800/

Note: Even though obtaining Windows 10 using Media Creation Tool is free, you must purchase a valid license key in order to activate Windows after the installation.
              ‘There are none so blind as those who will not see.’

Comment

Originally posted by bret191 View Post
                How to Use Windows 10 Media Creation Tool

https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/...-tool.3272800/

Note: Even though obtaining Windows 10 using Media Creation Tool is free, you must purchase a valid license key in order to activate Windows after the installation.
                If you currently have a valid Windows 7 license key for your PC, then you can enter that directly during the install as long as you do a full install of Windows 10.

dlr

p.s. The one issue is other applications installed on Win7. You will have to re-install any applications currently installed on Win7 since an upgrade that carries over applications is no longer an option.

Dave's Speaker Pages

Comment

Brave new world. Windows 10 forever.

Here is why there will be no Windows 11 | TechRadar

Comment

Well, there is a Windows 11, maybe even a 12 or 13. They're just not renaming updates. Of this I'm positive, because the Windows 10 I first started using five years ago is very different from the Windows 10 I'm running now. As I mentioned the older version I kept on an external HD runs my old Picture It software, the version that came on my Dell that I bought in 2018 never would run it. Even within that year and a half I've seen two full OS revisions. If they were being upfront about it they'd be calling it Windows 10.1,10.2,10.3 and so forth.
                  www.billfitzmaurice.com
                  www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Jim,

You mentioned that "That was remedied by a freeware program called "Classic Shell" that is an overlay of the Windows 10 desktop which looks, works and feels like Windows 7 interface and is rock solid. I also found many "tweak" programs that gives the user complete control over the reporting functions that I didn't like. I've been running Windows 10 for almost 2 years now with out an issue."

Is there any chance you could provide links to the freeware you mentioned in your post?

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Baby Huey View Post
                      Jim,

You mentioned that "That was remedied by a freeware program called "Classic Shell" that is an overlay of the Windows 10 desktop which looks, works and feels like Windows 7 interface and is rock solid. I also found many "tweak" programs that gives the user complete control over the reporting functions that I didn't like. I've been running Windows 10 for almost 2 years now with out an issue."

Is there any chance you could provide links to the freeware you mentioned in your post?
                      The Classic Shell homepage is here. However, note on the upper right of the page that development ceased in Dec. 2017. The good news is that it was open source, and development was picked up, and is still active in a project now called Open Shell. To download the software, go to the releases page.

Comment

• Baby Huey
                        Baby Huey commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks Andy!

• Baby Huey
                        Baby Huey commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks Andy!

Originally posted by tomzarbo View Post
                      Jim mentioned that it is still possible to get windows 10 free?

I was signed up to have my win 7 desktop upgraded to 10, it said it was going to happen in time, but it never did. Now I'm concerned to rut it online.

Its a fast computer with a SSD and still worth using. Guess I'll check into upgrade cost as well.

TomZ
                      Today I tossed a laptop (2009) that I upgraded to Win 10 a few years ago when they first offered the free upgrade. I had to enact the upgrade, it wasn't an automatic, behind the scenes upgrade like generic S/W updates. But if you're signed up, you may be able to enact the upgrade now. I did reinstall the free upgrade more than once from my initial sign-up. Check your records/email/MS account.

I think your better served by putting the $200 Win 10 license cost towards a new PC. You can get a 9th gen, Intel I3 4.2 GHz for $429 at Dell. What processor do you have (right click My Computer, select properties). I'd bet the the new I3 has 5 times the power. Your PC is fast because of the SSD. You can move the SSD to the new PC by making a USB OS restore, install the SSD and reinstall the factory OS. If you get a (mini)tower that supports more than one hard drive, use the original hard drive for back-up, extra storage, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Millstonemike View Post

Today I tossed a laptop (2009) that I upgraded to Win 10 a few years ago when they first offered the free upgrade. I had to enact the upgrade, it wasn't an automatic, behind the scenes upgrade like generic S/W updates. But if you're signed up, you may be able to enact the upgrade now. I did reinstall the free upgrade more than once from my initial sign-up. Check your records/email/MS account.

I think your better served by putting the $200 Win 10 license cost towards a new PC. You can get a 9th gen, Intel I3 4.2 GHz for $429 at Dell. What processor do you have (right click My Computer, select properties). I'd bet the the new I3 has 5 times the power. Your PC is fast because of the SSD. You can move the SSD to the new PC by making a USB OS restore, install the SSD and reinstall the factory OS. If you get a (mini)tower that supports more than one hard drive, use the original hard drive for back-up, extra storage, etc.
                        Win10 will cost him nothing. Given that he says what he has is a fast computer worth using, in his words, he should do a fresh install. Win10 is free if he has a valid Win7 license for that PC (must actually have the license number). You can't enact an upgrade now, but a fresh install is still allowed. I always installed on a separate drive just to be on the safe side, but I re-use drives in various PCs over time. I've installed it on many old PCs and laptops, some very old, yet it often runs faster than the original OS install. MS is working at reducing the size of the OS, too.

dlr

Dave's Speaker Pages

Comment

Originally posted by dlr View Post
                          You can't enact an upgrade now, but a fresh install is still allowed. I always installed on a separate drive just to be on the safe side, but I re-use drives in various PCs over time. I've installed it on many old PCs and laptops, some very old, yet it often runs faster than the original OS install. MS is working at reducing the size of the OS, too.
                          I just upgraded my HTPC from Windows 7 to Windows 10 last week, without needing a fresh install. I did so by downloading the Media Creation Tool from MS. I ran it and chose the option to get an ISO file. I then used Rufus to make a bootable USB stick from the ISO file, though I did not actually boot from it in this case. I just booted into Windows 7, put the USB stick in, and ran the setup.exe program on the USB stick. One of the options was "Keep existing apps and data" or something to that effect, so I chose that. After it was done, I did have a minor glitch with some Logitech DLL not being found, but a google search found the fix. YMMV of course, depending on how old the machine is.

Comment

Working...
                          X