Windows 7 end of support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by andy_c View Post
    I just upgraded my HTPC from Windows 7 to Windows 10 last week, without needing a fresh install. I did so by downloading the Media Creation Tool from MS. I ran it and chose the option to get an ISO file. I then used Rufus to make a bootable USB stick from the ISO file, though I did not actually boot from it in this case. I just booted into Windows 7, put the USB stick in, and ran the setup.exe program on the USB stick. One of the options was "Keep existing apps and data" or something to that effect, so I chose that. After it was done, I did have a minor glitch with some Logitech DLL not being found, but a google search found the fix. YMMV of course, depending on how old the machine is.
    That's news to me. I'll check it out, though I don't have a need for it at the moment. Did all currently installed software packages on Win7 carried over to Win10 and run properly?

dlr
    WinPCD - Windows .NET Passive Crossover Designer

Dave's Speaker Pages

Comment

Originally posted by dlr View Post
      That's news to me. I'll check it out, though I don't have a need for it at the moment. Did all currently installed software packages on Win7 carried over to Win10 and run properly?
      Yes, but I didn't have a lot of software, as the machine is just used for audio playback using Squeezelite and Jivelite for Windows, and for playing videos with MPC-BE and occasional web browsing using Firefox. The only problem I had was that after I logged in to Windows 10, I got an error message that LogiLDA.dll could not be found. Apparently that's some kind of Logitech mouse driver that's no longer needed or present. I just ran the autoruns.exe from the Sysinternals utility suite, looked up LogiLDA, and disabled it in startup. After reboot, all was well.

The machine was not very old, having been built in 2014.

Comment

Originally posted by Baby Huey View Post
        Jim,

You mentioned that "That was remedied by a freeware program called "Classic Shell" that is an overlay of the Windows 10 desktop which looks, works and feels like Windows 7 interface and is rock solid. I also found many "tweak" programs that gives the user complete control over the reporting functions that I didn't like. I've been running Windows 10 for almost 2 years now with out an issue."

Is there any chance you could provide links to the freeware you mentioned in your post?

Thank you.
        The programs I use to disable the services I find intrusive are Win 10 Disabler http://www.site2unblock.com/win10-spy-disabler/ and Spybot - Search and Destroy (free edition) https://www.spybot-free-download.com/

A combination of these two programs allows you to disable everything I know of that reports back to Microsoft.

I also have been using Classic Shell for as long as I've had Windows 10 and its worked flawlessly. I wasn't aware of the open source version that's now available until this thread. So, being a curious sort, I downloaded the current version and installed it. It works just like Classic Shell and seems to be just as reliable. https://github.com/Open-Shell/Open-Shell-Menu/releases

The other privacy program called Privacy Badger I use is to protect against Facebooks continuous tracking so they can sell your data to their customers. Yep that's how they make billions of dollars at the expense of your privacy. It's available as an add on for Firefox or an installation for Chrome and Opera. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...vacy-badger17/ Highly recommended.

HTH

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Millstonemike View Post

Today I tossed a laptop (2009) that I upgraded to Win 10 a few years ago when they first offered the free upgrade. I had to enact the upgrade, it wasn't an automatic, behind the scenes upgrade like generic S/W updates. But if you're signed up, you may be able to enact the upgrade now. I did reinstall the free upgrade more than once from my initial sign-up. Check your records/email/MS account.

I think your better served by putting the $200 Win 10 license cost towards a new PC. You can get a 9th gen, Intel I3 4.2 GHz for $429 at Dell. What processor do you have (right click My Computer, select properties). I'd bet the the new I3 has 5 times the power. Your PC is fast because of the SSD. You can move the SSD to the new PC by making a USB OS restore, install the SSD and reinstall the factory OS. If you get a (mini)tower that supports more than one hard drive, use the original hard drive for back-up, extra storage, etc.
          I have a HP HPE-112y with a 4.1 Window Experience Index!!!

Anyway, it's an AMD Phenom II X4 925 Processor.
          2.80 GHz
          8 gigs ram

Not cutting edge, but no slouch either, and not ever slow...It was always fast, but when I upgraded to the SSD a few years ago it got another boost in speed obviously.

Just don't see scrapping this thing if I can get it upgraded to 10 free-ish-ly. Then again, it would make a nice Measurement Rig. But the laptop is easy enough to shuttle to and fro.

Dang you Bill Gates!

TomZ
          *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
          *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Hmmm. If you don't subscribe to Facebook or don't go there, Facebook can't track you can they?
            Paul

Originally posted by Jim Holtz View Post

The programs I use to disable the services I find intrusive are Win 10 Disabler http://www.site2unblock.com/win10-spy-disabler/ and Spybot - Search and Destroy (free edition) https://www.spybot-free-download.com/

A combination of these two programs allows you to disable everything I know of that reports back to Microsoft.

I also have been using Classic Shell for as long as I've had Windows 10 and its worked flawlessly. I wasn't aware of the open source version that's now available until this thread. So, being a curious sort, I downloaded the current version and installed it. It works just like Classic Shell and seems to be just as reliable. https://github.com/Open-Shell/Open-Shell-Menu/releases

The other privacy program called Privacy Badger I use is to protect against Facebooks continuous tracking so they can sell your data to their customers. Yep that's how they make billions of dollars at the expense of your privacy. It's available as an add on for Firefox or an installation for Chrome and Opera. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...vacy-badger17/ Highly recommended.

HTH

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by andy_c View Post

I just upgraded my HTPC from Windows 7 to Windows 10 last week, without needing a fresh install. I did so by downloading the Media Creation Tool from MS. I ran it and chose the option to get an ISO file. I then used Rufus to make a bootable USB stick from the ISO file, though I did not actually boot from it in this case. I just booted into Windows 7, put the USB stick in, and ran the setup.exe program on the USB stick. One of the options was "Keep existing apps and data" or something to that effect, so I chose that. After it was done, I did have a minor glitch with some Logitech DLL not being found, but a google search found the fix. YMMV of course, depending on how old the machine is.
              This is the way to upgrade. You won't have to spend days/weeks restoring the software and it goes well. Always have a backup and I do mean always. Just in case....

For the record, I usually burn the ISO file to a DVD so I have a un-archived copy if I need it in the future.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Paul K. View Post
                Hmmm. If you don't subscribe to Facebook or don't go there, Facebook can't track you can they?
                Paul

Hi Paul,

I avoided Facebook for years and just created my own account recently so I could follow Jeff B. and Javad's DIY Loudspeaker Project group. LOTS of excellent projects and in depth information available. So, that's when I installed Privacy Badger. It works great and keeps Facebook from tracking of just about everywhere you go. That's just wrong, IMHO.

Jim
                Last edited by Jim Holtz; 01-27-2020, 12:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Holtz View Post
                  This is the way to upgrade. You won't have to spend days/weeks restoring the software and it goes well. Always have a backup and I do mean always. Just in case....Jim
                  When did Microsoft change the policy to allowing upgrade? It was not allowed after the original update end date to my knowledge. Maybe the issue was that I always booted from the ISO.

dlr

Dave's Speaker Pages

Comment

When did Microsoft change the policy to allowing upgrade? It was not allowed after the original update end date to my knowledge. Maybe the issue was that I always booted from the ISO.

dlr
                    Good question, but as long as you use the Media Creation Tool mentioned above, that seems to be the case. And it seems as long as you have a valid Win7 or Win8.1 key code, it will allow you to activate Win10 for no cost. That tool will allow direct upgrade or allow saving Win10 to a flash drive (8GB or larger).

Another thing I learned in recently researching this issue as my current desktop is running Win7 is that you can actually run it unactivated. You do get a little "watermark" to remind you after awhile that it's not activated and a few features like loading custom wallpaper don't work, but that's seems to be about it. An option for someone that can't find their old Windows key and doesn't want to pay MS $140 to $200 for a new one.

I am in the middle of this process. I also intend to upgrade the HDD to a SDD. Have used the Media Creation Tool to put Win10 on a flash drive. Just ordered the SSD. Will remove the HDD and replace it with the SSD and then (hopefully) load Win10 on the new SSD. If I have issues, I can always just go back to the old HDD with Win7.

If you are going to upgrade an old machine, note that there are specific hardware requirements. The specs are pretty low, but check them, especially the video card specs. Actually the Media Creation Tool does a check and will not proceed if you don't meet the specs.

Comment

Originally posted by JimHRB View Post
                      Another thing I learned in recently researching this issue as my current desktop is running Win7 is that you can actually run it unactivated. You do get a little "watermark" to remind you after awhile that it's not activated and a few features like loading custom wallpaper don't work, but that's seems to be about it. An option for someone that can't find their old Windows key and doesn't want to pay MS $140 to $200 for a new one.
                      I suspect that you won't get any updates doing it this way, security or otherwise.

dlr

Dave's Speaker Pages

Comment

dlr
                        As I understand it, the free "upgrade" deal never went away. Microsoft just stopped trying to hound and/or trick us into doing it when they turned off the promotions and the malware. I think it was on a thread here that I found a program you could download to effectively disable the malware. It was a relief to be rid of that annoyance.

Comment

I suspect that you won't get any updates doing it this way, security or otherwise.

dlr
                          I would have thought that also, but that does not seem to be the case. Lots of feedback that you will get updates. Just Google the question.

Comment

dlr
                            Yes, Windows 10 installed with the Media Creation tool is a fully certified and activated installation which includes updates.

HTH

Jim

Comment

Just as a note, and I am not sure why one windows 7 key does or doesn't work. I have tried updating 3 different copies/computers/keys from windows 7 to windows 10. Of the 3, Microsoft only would accept 2 windows 7 keys for update, but not the third and all with windows 7 home to windows 10 home. This is all within the last 2 months. All were installed in the same way, so it should work, but may not be guaranteed in my opinion. It wouldn't hurt to try, if nothing else, you just revert back to windows 7. If you have Windows 7 installed and lost your install key, there are ways to recover it inside windows.

Comment

Originally posted by Marcus View Post
                                Just as a note, and I am not sure why one windows 7 key does or doesn't work. I have tried updating 3 different copies/computers/keys from windows 7 to windows 10. Of the 3, Microsoft only would accept 2 windows 7 keys for update, but not the third and all with windows 7 home to windows 10 home. This is all within the last 2 months. All were installed in the same way, so it should work, but may not be guaranteed in my opinion. It wouldn't hurt to try, if nothing else, you just revert back to windows 7. If you have Windows 7 installed and lost your install key, there are ways to recover it inside windows.
                                You might consider calling Microsoft support for help. I would....

Jim

Comment

Working...
                                X