Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wolf
    replied
    Thanks for the archive link. I've been looking to restore the entry for those, but couldn't find it in there.
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• 9sheng
    replied
    Originally posted by Wolf View Post
    Info on my Sophomores below. "The best $100 speakers I've ever heard." -Dirk
    Later,
    Wolf
    Thanks for the information, I really like your design. I have found a lot of relevant information through the Internet.

https://web.archive.org/web/20120101.../blog.php?b=73
    https://s18.photobucket.com/user/wol...library?page=1

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied
    And a photo of LeroyR's build:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sophomore-Wolf_LeroyR4_zps08b0881c.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	1430106

Later,
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied
    Info on my Sophomores below. "The best $100 speakers I've ever heard." -Dirk

The xover values were measured parts that are in the circuit. Get as close as you can. The 0.1 ohm and 0.3 ohm resistors are DCR of the coils in the tweeter circuit, and not actual resistors.

At the time I built these, the TN25 was one of the few small-format cheap tweeters without too many anomalies in the response that could xover about 3kHz. This changes the image and tonal balance to be much different than a 0.75" tweeter at 4kHz.

Name:	Soph-OffsetV1-XoverREAL.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	1430100

The design was made optimizing position on the baffle as well as baffle edge treatments to get the best response of the drivers used. Then the xover was modeled. The sharp or rounded edges are important, as are the position/placement of the drivers on the baffle. The top and bottom halves of the cabinet are visual inversions whether sharp or round. The tweeter is flush-mounted, and the woofer is surface mounted in my version. Others have flush mounted the woofer without issues. All roundovers in mine are 0.75" radius, but others have been made with 0.5" radii. Material is 0.75" MDF, painted. Port is 1.5" diameter x 4.5" long from inside end to baffle surface of outer flare. Boxes have 6.25 oz of polyfil stuffing inside- This is not a typo.
    Xover boards were made into to sections. The woofer board lies on the side wall behind the name-badge, and the tweeter board was slid against the inside top atop the port. There really are not better positions.

Name:	Sophomores-Dims.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	1430101

Box model below. The stuffing lowers the large rise just above 100Hz, and the ported design as a must to get any extension below 100Hz. The M4N has a high Qts, and while sealed would be the norm, vented and stuffed results were much better.

Name:	Sophomore2-Box.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	1430102

Modeled FR:

Name:	Sophomore-OffsetV1-REAL.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	1430103

And a measured impedance:

Name:	Sophomore-RightInBox.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	1430104

This is to illustrate that the stuffing does not quite suppress the peaking completely as modeled. I still don't know why the difference of measured vs. modeled exists above 3.5kHz, but the sound is right.

Let me know if you require any more info. These have been loved by many over the years.

Later,
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• 9sheng
    replied
    HiVi TN25, M4N? Can you get those?

Later,
    Wolf
    Can buy M4N,B4N,M5N,M6N, TN25, TA26, TN25III-P, T20-5-01,SS1II ,X1II , k1, SD1.1-A
    Dayton CE32A-4,Dayton ND16FA-6 ,Dayton ND25FA-4,Dayton ND20FB-4,
    VIFA DX25TG05-04,VIFA XT25TG30-04,VIFA DX25TG09-04,

Click image for larger version  Name:	0001.png Views:	0 Size:	136.4 KB ID:	1430070
    Click image for larger version  Name:	0002.png Views:	0 Size:	50.9 KB ID:	1430071

This design also looks good. Is there any detailed information? Thank you.
    Last edited by 9sheng; 01-23-2020, 09:12 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Serpentus
    replied
    What are those? Sophomores?

Edit. NVM, ignore that, almost time for my eye exam again.... Sigh.

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied
    HiVi TN25, M4N? Can you get those?

Name:	IMG_0159.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	1430006

Later,
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• Chris Roemer
    replied
    What tweeter CAN you get?

Leave a comment:

• 9sheng
    replied

Not sure what you mean by 'program'. I don't know of a software suite from HiVi. Do you just ant a pair of speakers for $100-150 in parts?
    My Sophomores come to mind, as well as Paul's Overnight Sensations.

Later,
    Wolf

"Program" = "Projects", I think it is the speaker making plans, projects. I used google translation! I have a website for DIY Audio Projects by Paul Carmody.
    https://sites.google.com/site/undefinition/diy
    I saw a Dayton ND20FA-6 on sale at www.amazon.cn in Japan.
    About $40 (pair)

Leave a comment:

• 9sheng
    replied
    Originally posted by OldBeginner View Post
    Are you aware of the Overnight Sensation designs? Paul Carmody has several variations. One is a bookshelf, comes in a kit available at PE and is in your price range. It is a Dayton tweeter with a HiVi mid.

https://www.parts-express.com/overni...-pair--300-706
    Yes, of course I know, excellent design. But I have a hard time buying HIVI T20-8, and it is even harder to buy Dayton Audio ND20FA-6. PE's global shipping costs are higher (farther away from the US), so no action has been taken for the time being.

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied
    Originally posted by 9sheng View Post

Yes, I need the HIVI speaker program, the bookshelf speaker program, and the total price is $ 100-150.
    Not sure what you mean by 'program'. I don't know of a software suite from HiVi. Do you just ant a pair of speakers for $100-150 in parts?
    My Sophomores come to mind, as well as Paul's Overnight Sensations.

Later,
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• OldBeginner
    replied
    Are you aware of the Overnight Sensation designs? Paul Carmody has several variations. One is a bookshelf, comes in a kit available at PE and is in your price range. It is a Dayton tweeter with a HiVi mid.

https://www.parts-express.com/overni...-pair--300-706

Leave a comment:

• 9sheng
    replied
    So- you want plans for other HiVi speakers? What are you looking for exactly?
    Wolf
    Yes, I need the HIVI speaker program, the bookshelf speaker program, and the total price is $ 100-150.

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied
    So- you want plans for other HiVi speakers? What are you looking for exactly?
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• 9sheng
    replied
    Originally posted by skatz View Post
    What material are the boxes made of? It looks like Masonite.
    18mm MDF

Leave a comment:

Working...
X