Duratex is great

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duratex is great

Hey, just wanted to let everyone know that I think Duratex is a great product. It rolls very well with no splatter, spreads really well, and covers really well. It will camouflage but not necessarily hide/fill blemishes. It cleans up easy and if you buy some of the textured brushes they are probably reusable about 4-5 times as long as you clean them well. Painted two large pro cabinets in about 45 minutes per coat with the large roller two coats on two separate days. Smell is like a regular house paint. It does dry a little slow but my basement is pretty cool.
    YO

I was impressed initially with Duratex as well, less so in the long run. It's not actually any more durable than paint (the texture just hides the damage a bit better), and its acrylic based so doesn't dry completely solid. If you put anything heavy on your Duratex coated cabs for a long time it will under best case leave a permanent squished mark, and worst case will completely adhere and tear a chunk of finish off to separate them.
    "I just use off the shelf textbook filters designed for a resistor of 8 ohms with
    exactly a Fc 3K for both drivers, anybody can do it." -Xmax

Comment

The key to a good hard cure with Duratex is heat. You can use an industrial oven, but if you don't have one handy leave the cab out in the summer sun for a day or two before loading in the drivers.
      www.billfitzmaurice.com
      www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

• marvin
        marvin commented
        Editing a comment
        What about heat gun treatment where the drivers are mounted?

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
      The key to a good hard cure with Duratex is heat. You can use an industrial oven, but if you don't have one handy leave the cab out in the summer sun for a day or two before loading in the drivers.
      billfitzmaurice thank you very much for chiming in. I can try placing them in front of my gas fireplace.

Just a quick question, I am on the quest for some truly prodigious punchy bass. Ive built WWMTMWW speakers, now own Klipsch RF5s, RF7s, and Cornwalls and I am still not happy. My Klipsch 15” subwoofer is great but I hate relying on it so much. My question to you is do you have a design that would work great as a woofer in the range of +/-35hz to 400hz (12db xover point)? I grew up listening to a pair of rear loaded horns that a friend of the family built using a 10” woofer and they are still so impressive to me. I am between a rear loaded design and a front loaded design, not interested in a tapped configuration so much.

just needs to fit through a 29” opening (30” door minus jams)

I have a pair of Crites CW1526cf woofers I was thinking about putting in a cloned Lascala bin with ported rear/bottom enclosure unless you have a better performing design.

thanks.
      YO

Comment

I don't think in front of the fireplace will work as well, you might cook it unless you're very careful. I don't have any designs intended to run from 35-400Hz. They all go over to the mains no higher than 120Hz.
        www.billfitzmaurice.com

Comment

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
          I don't think in front of the fireplace will work as well, you might cook it unless you're very careful. I don't have any designs intended to run from 35-400Hz. They all go over to the mains no higher than 120Hz.
          Would a Titan 48 be possibly suitable?
          YO

Comment

I don't know. My subs are intended to be used as subs, crossed over below where they're locatable, so I don't even bother to measure them above 200Hz. In any event I wouldn't use a T48 in the home, that's Tuba HT territory. They've been very well reviewed used with LaScalas, but again, crossed over around 80Hz.
            www.billfitzmaurice.com

Comment

Working...
            X