Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	1430756

Normal 6 sided box made from 3/4" MDF and 1/2" Birch ply. Feet are red oak

Click image for larger version

Name:	01  13.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	1430757

Temps have been 30s-40s range, where typical wood glues get chalky, so I bought Liquid Nails adhesive said to be good for temps much lower. It sucked, even after clamping overnight. Maybe it's not compatible with MDF. I switched to Titebond 3 after this piece fell off with minimal provacation:

Name:	01 22.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	1430758

Drivers are buyout Eminence 15s, sealed, 2.6-3 ft sealed. They could work in this size vented, but even a 4" port would barely fit, lengthwise, and I didn't want to make the cabinets much larger to accomdate that:

Name:	01 08.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	1430759

My Jasper jig only goes up to 7.5" holes, so I used this custom made jig.:

Name:	01 15.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	1430760

Table legs and top have yet to be completed.

Looks like a good start!

Comment

Lookin' good!

What do you think you'll power them with? Seems like they may be a good candidate for a pro amp... maybe one of the newer Crowns?

What do you have planned for the main cabinet and top?
      I like the legs, those pocket screws are pretty neat, my father got me one of Kreg's basic jigs and it really is pretty nice. The screws seem to hold well along with the wide head. I don't use it a lot, but when I do, it always seems like the perfect tool for the job.

I did the same thing a few years back, it kind of kills two birds with one stone, and if you make them pretty enough, the wife will even like them!

TomZ
      *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
      *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Thanks guys! I'm using some 5/4" laminated pine for the tops, and pine for the rest of the legs. Idk how to describe it, but more cabinet looking lol. A pro amp would be ideal, but for the moment I have an SAE 2400L sitting below the receiver I'll probably use. The Kreg jig is probably 10 years old, I've used it a lot!

I've looked at a lot of table subs, I'm sure I've seen yours!

Comment

That seems like a real nice powerhouse of an amp, should be a pretty nice setup.

Sounds like it's going to look good...
          And it looks like it's going to sound good as well!

I'd love to see pics as you go.

TomZ
          *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
          *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Fun project chrisn but I have to ask what car is in your garage? 90's Dodge?
            See my projects on Instagram and Facebook

Comment

Liquid nails has pissed me of for the last time, will never use their products again. Now you see why...
              Nice boom-booms!!!
              A mains
              The Ventures
              Open Invit8tions
              RSR
              Sound Troopers
              Acorns
              DGBG's
              The Monuments

Comment

I really like what you have going here. Utilizing an otherwise semi-useless piece of furniture and justifying a sub-woofer with it. Nice!

Good job on making your own hole jig. You know, one thing that never made sense to me about the Jasper jigs is that the writing is all on the wrong side....at least IMO

and on my last note, FWIW TItebond original works better and sets up better than the other options they sell. Not to start a war on here, but it never made sense to me why people use outdoor/water-resistant glues for indoor furniture. Maybe you could shed some light as to why?

As far as liquid nails go, scrap that junk. We switched to Loc-tite Powergrab and holy smokes that stuff is strong. We actually bent/formed would around a radius using that product and it stuck without clamps. It completely blew our mind. Might want to check that out. On the contrary I know nothing about it's working or setting temp.

Cheers!
                "I don't know everything and do not claim to. I continue to learn and that is what makes me human."

Comment

Nice start. Unfortunately, the bar is set pretty high for end-table sub-woofer builds. I won't name names but he's already posted in this thread.

Name:	sub.png
Views:	147
Size:	405.8 KB
ID:	1430966

Comment

Originally posted by Derekj View Post
                    Fun project chrisn but I have to ask what car is in your garage? 90's Dodge?
                    Good eye, nobody has commented on it before! 1992 Dodge Spirit R/T, one of 68 made in white

6th: I had a brainfart and forgot all the awful experiences i've read about here:/ Didn't stick at all!

STI: I usually use Titebond 1, buy it by the gallon, but it usually gets chalky in colder temps we get this time of year. TBH, i've never had a failure using it in cold temps. That's the only reason for using other glues for indoor projects. I"ve made test joints (not that kind) with mdf and titebond broke them with a sledgehammer, and it was the wood that failed, not the glue joint. I haven't used Powergrab, at least it actually adheres!

Mike: Are those Tom's? I tried a google search and it only turned up his smaller, but equally impressive subwoofers. Is that a Dayton 8 MTM on the other side of the couch?

Comment

Originally posted by chrisn View Post

... I"ve made test joints (not that kind) with mdf and titebond broke them with a sledgehammer, and it was the wood that failed, not the glue joint. I haven't used Powergrab, at least it actually adheres!

Mike: Are those Tom's? I tried a google search and it only turned up his smaller, but equally impressive subwoofers. Is that a Dayton 8 MTM on the other side of the couch?
                      Too bad. A well known fact that a PVA glue joint is stronger than the wood it glues. Even an Elmer's joint will survive the wood, Yes.

Comment

Good eye, nobody has commented on it before! 1992 Dodge Spirit R/T, one of 68 made in white
                        I'm a big fan of all the 90's American performance cars - especially the Dodge products - would love to have an Omni GLHS!
                        See my projects on Instagram and Facebook

Comment

1992 Dodge Spirit R/T, one of 68 made in white
                          Nice car. I helped an acquaintance put a pretty decent system in one. A/D/S amplifiers, Canton front end - it was nice. Then he tried hopping up the motor but the mechanic he used was not very familiar with turbos. Car never ran right after that.

I'd love to get my hands on a first gen (quad light) Daytona Turbo.

Comment

Originally posted by Derekj View Post

I'm a big fan of all the 90's American performance cars - especially the Dodge products - would love to have an Omni GLHS!
                            I had a silver '86 Omni GLH Turbo. Loads of fun.

Comment

I had a black 85/86 GLH turbo, and a few other turbo dodges. Even have some parts from an 86 GLHS lying around. Uninformed mechanics can really mess them up; seems like everyone I had was messed up when I got them:/ I've yet to own a Turbo Voyager or Caravan:(

Comment

Working...
                              X