Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone made anything using smaller than a 2inch FR?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone made anything using smaller than a 2inch FR?

Look, first up this may sound a bit silly but wanted to hear what the forum has with experience using smaller than 2 inch full range micro speakers?

secondly i was watching youtube which is dangerous and seeing all these folks with these chinese bose knock off drivers claiming excursion and bass beyond your wildest belief, which seems a stretch, but i did come across a build that used 3 CE32A's per side with a cheap PR, which looked intriguing enough as they are exttremely cheap drivers. I was thinking 4 could be run each side with a pair in series and a pair parallel to keep it to 4ohms. Yes questions all round im sure, main one being WTF, but cheap build and the ability to carve\shape some wood, makes me think crazy like this.

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...4-ohm--285-103

I would be interested to hear if anyone had or wanted to try something like that before....

https://www.parts-express.com/aura-c...8-ohm--296-250

aura has the cougar 1 inch wide range driver. I made a radio with a pair per side, but you will need a sub/bass driver for any satisfying low end whatsoever.

My project is based on Chris Perez's Cinema Tablet project. Check that one out for some inspiration.

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...a-tablet-radio

TomZ
    *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
    *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

It only takes ten minutes, or less, to model a driver with speaker modeling software to see what it's capable of. With respect to the CE32A you don't even have to model it. The 262Hz Fs is all one needs to see. Even if the Fs was low enough to be useful displacement is only 0.2 square cm. It would take ten of them to equal a middle of the road four inch woofer.
      www.billfitzmaurice.com
      www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Thanks.....maybe I will reword it to "proven designs" using drivers less than 2 inches..

Tom that looks pretty cool, thanks for the inspiration.

Comment

got a couple of these on order

https://www.parts-express.com/visato...4-ohm--292-655

they model ok,

BF37 (green) is showing FS 90Hz in enclosure 0.009cuft (f3 77hz, f6 73hz f10 68hz)

which has a similar curve to the TEMB35 (blue) but needs twice the enclosure size @ 0.019cuft, FS 90Hz (f3 75hz, f6 70hz f10 66hz)

will use those cheap rubber membranes i have with it and maybe a 5v or 12v chip amp, who knows wont know until i build it if they are worth the money,.

Attached Files

Comment

Any guess on an Xmas number on these? I didn't see it listed anywhere.
            Have you given these a listen yet.. if so, any thoughts on how they sound?
            TomZ

Sorry, just saw that you don't have them yet. Coffee didn't kick in yet I guess.
            *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
            *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

If you use ONE in 24 cu. INches w/a 1/2"id x 3" long port, you'll get about +5dB BSC. These'll do 100Hz (but prob. not 80), taking 4wRMS @ 3.4mm Xmax @ 80Hz.

rutu - to dupe. your curve in .009cf. (18 cu.in.) I need a lower tuning using a 1/2"id x 7" long port.
              Then (to use a BSC filter) you'll be throwing away even MORE sensitivity.

(Better off to add BSC electronically - like BOSE does.)

Comment

Originally posted by tomzarbo View Post
                Any guess on an Xmas number on these? I didn't see it listed anywhere.
                Have you given these a listen yet.. if so, any thoughts on how they sound?
                TomZ

Sorry, just saw that you don't have them yet. Coffee didn't kick in yet I guess.
                I stumbled across them by accident and thought it was those aura's purely looking at the pictures and noticed the bassbox measurements...they don't seem to have much in reviews here or anywhere online to be honest. It's going to be a stab in the dark, but considering the size on paper they don't look too bad

edit. It doesnt appear in the mini speaker section although it is smaller a lot of the 2inch drivers in that selection. I had look for manufactorers name to get it to display.....really dont know how i selected it to be honest, really quite random.
                Last edited by 3rutu5; 02-10-2020, 06:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
                  If you use ONE in 24 cu. INches w/a 1/2"id x 3" long port, you'll get about +5dB BSC. These'll do 100Hz (but prob. not 80), taking 4wRMS @ 3.4mm Xmax @ 80Hz.

rutu - to dupe. your curve in .009cf. (18 cu.in.) I need a lower tuning using a 1/2"id x 7" long port.

Thanks Chris, doing that electronically you mean through an EQ of some sort? I sort of thought I'm venturing into uncharted territory here with my capabilities.

edit....looking at these further, they have a sensitity 74 dB 1W/1m, which im lead to beleive is quite low. I did order 4 of them, so maybe a slightly bigger enclosure and use these in parallel (or series) which ever doesnt give me a 2 ohm load......i will have to look into this further as i dont quite understand...
                  Last edited by 3rutu5; 02-10-2020, 08:06 AM.

Comment

Hey Chris , out of curiosity, how do you get a different graph? Do I enter something differently in to.winisd? I was considered a port, but.mine said I needed over 300mm length at 20mm.dia which is wider than the proposed enclosure
                    ​​

Comment

I'm using Qes 0.86, Qms 5.11 (Qts 0.736), Vas 0.002cf, Fs 155

I get YOUR curve in 0.009cf (around 18 cu.in.) tuned to 90 (Fb - actually).
                      That's a 20mm port around 440mm ! long. But EYE'm only using a 1/2 port (say, 13mm), which shortens it to 7" (near 175mm).

I'm SHOOTing for a higher tune in MY 0.014cf box (Fb = 106) to use it as BSC (about +5dBSC) w/a 1/2"id x 3" long port tube (cute).
                      I don't judge the diff. between 100Hz and 80 (your box) to be significant - but YMMV.

Comment

I'm using Qes 0.86, Qms 5.11 (Qts 0.736), Vas 0.002cf, Fs 155

I get YOUR curve in 0.009cf (around 18 cu.in.) tuned to 90 (Fb - actually).
                        That's a 20mm port around 440mm ! long. But EYE'm only using a 1/2 port (say, 13mm), which shortens it to 7" (near 175mm).

I'm SHOOTing for a higher tune in MY 0.014cf box (Fb = 106) to use it as BSC (about +5dBSC) w/a 1/2"id x 3" long port tube (cute).
                        I don't judge the diff. between 100Hz and 80 (your box) to be significant - but YMMV.
                        I suppose with a lack of understanding with these curves I do get caught up in the numbers trying to get values as low as possible, when in reality 5-10hz difference is likely not that noticeable to the (my,) naked ear. So to get a boost it is really getting the size and port lift that curve above the datum.

I'm going to CAD something up just to figure out a few things, maybe I build 2 different ones, who knows.
                        ​​

Comment

Why do you think that? Does it matter which method you use to route more power into the lower frequencies (outside of size of components in the box and possibly cost of the filters)?

I guess with a an ultra mini design you wouldn't want passive components in the box eating air space but you could always have external crossovers.

Comment

Working...
                          X