Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M.W.A.F about 5 months out... What are you planning on bringing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SLS12s, noice! Keep it up...
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
      Currently in the same boat as you;
      Tandems; half cabinets are done, with more problems to solve as I go. Drivers acquired, few sims done.
      EMP; I have the model done, basic xovers constructed, and the T/B/S constructed. Still needs the front/back. All drivers acquired.
      Jaekels; model done. Drivers acquired. Basic cab laid out, nothing built.
      Breitpunkte; models done, drivers acquired. Cabinet process heavily thought through, nothing cut out.
      Mangusta; Drivers acquired, sims done, cabinet design done. Nothing cut out.

I think EMP is my best bet.
      Wolf

what is the EMP?

Comment

Originally posted by tomzarbo View Post
        The reason I bring this topic up now is that I'm having motivation issues myself and I thought that seeing what everyone else is working on would spur me on NOW, while I still have time to get working on stuff.
        Start a really detailed build log. Then you know everyone is following your progress and you won't want to disappoint, so you'll have a strong incentive to stay on track.

Comment

I've not posted about it yet... at least not referring to it as such.
          Basically, a small format TMM consisting of Seas Al/Mg 27TAC/GB and a pair of Peerless 830991 glass-fiber midbasses in a ~30" tall tower. It's meant to have really low HD for minimal cost, and be a designed update/improvement to the PMC 'Twenty5' design- or at least initially that was the goal. The '25' appears to use the 830991 singly with the 27TDFC as the tweeter, formerly the 25TAF. We'll see where it comes out in results.

The Titan 27TAC/GB I'm using is a serious upgrade over the previous tweeters, and Joachim Gerhard measured it to have the lowest HD of any similar tweeter with level being at -65dB from 2kHz up. I found this out as an added bonus after I made my purchase.

The tentative F3 is ~45Hz, and a target sensitivity is ~86dB. The midbasses are of the series that RobSan tone-burst tested (830992) to have the lowest HD for the cost, and rivaling that of much more expensive drive units. Using 2 of the drivers will up my sensitivity, further reduce HD at output by halving Xmax requirements, and allow more room pressurization before rolloff. The '25' sounded really good and had extension, but seemed the level at that extension was a bit reduced in output. Using 2 will improve this.

Design being a short tower means optimizing for above the tweeter axis, 10" at the listening position. I designed for this to have an increasing lobe direction instead of being straight forward. I did this with the Nephila, and it did quite well. The summation in the EMP still aligns well even below axis, so I feel this is a good compromise. The comb-filtering of the woofers in addition to being mainly (above) off-axis contributes to a large hump at about 200Hz I had to filter out. This lends to a more complicated xover in the bass range, but leaves the unpeaky rolloff of the glass fiber cones rather straight forward. I'll be playing with the woofer rolloff, but it appears that 3rd order works better above the tweeter, and the 2nd order works better on the tweeter axis. 3rd on the tweeter electrically was my result, plus a couple other things. Since the tweeter has no FF, I comped the Fs with a full LCR. The 27TAC FR exhibits an ultrasonic breakup at 25-27kHz, which I also have a notch to compensate. I will have a switch on this and will be measuring both with and without the notch engaged to both see and hear the performance differences in measurements and listening.

There will be a full writeup upon completion, but this is the gist of the story thus far.
          Thanks for asking,
          Wolf
          "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
          "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
          "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
          "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
          http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Wow, sounds like a really nice and well thought out build Ben.

Comment

Originally posted by a4eaudio View Post

Start a really detailed build log. Then you know everyone is following your progress and you won't want to disappoint, so you'll have a strong incentive to stay on track.
              That's a great idea, a little accountability is a good thing.
              TomZ
              *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
              *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Hoping to have two entries for MWAF this year. Have to decide between one of these two for the "Unlimited Class". Both designs have actively boosted woofers with a passive crossover between the mid and tweet. The Peerless Micro 3-way is closer to being finished. The down-firing SB 3-way is undergoing a complete makeover, enlarging it a bit and doing away with the PVC mid-chamber (replacing it with a MDF sub-enclosure). If I had to pick today, it would be the Peerless speakers, happier with the overall sound from them so far. Neither are big enough to make much of a splash in the "Unlimited Class", but it'll be fun trying. Looking forward to seeing you guys again.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	173.0 KB
ID:	1431640 Click image for larger version

Name:	20191103_180413 (2).jpg
Views:	324
Size:	509.2 KB
ID:	1431641

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	230.4 KB
ID:	1431642 Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	247.4 KB
ID:	1431643
                My "No-Name" CC Speaker
                Kerry's "Silverbacks"
                Ben's Synchaeta's for Mom
                The Archers
                Rick's "db" Desktop CBT Arrays
                The Gandalf's

Comment

Kevin, are you driving up with your son this year?
                  John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

• Kevin K.
                    Kevin K. commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I think we'll be flying in this time John. Neither of us enjoyed that long drive last time, especially with how it ended.

• jhollander
                    jhollander commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yeah, I remember seeing you post. What's you son bringing?

• Kevin K.
                    Kevin K. commented
                    Editing a comment
                    He hasn't started anything yet but mentioned building something with the stuff he won from the last MWAF we attended. The prize package consisted of all the stuff needed to build a Dayton boombox (Dayton Coaxial drivers and Dayton KAB amps and accessories). I think there were some issues discovered later with those drivers but can't recall for sure.

Originally posted by Kevin K. View Post
                  Hoping to have two entries for MWAF this year. Have to decide between one of these two for the "Unlimited Class". Both designs have actively boosted woofers with a passive crossover between the mid and tweet. The Peerless Micro 3-way is closer to being finished. The down-firing SB 3-way is undergoing a complete makeover, enlarging it a bit and doing away with the PVC mid-chamber (replacing it with a MDF sub-enclosure). If I had to pick today, it would be the Peerless speakers, happier with the overall sound from them so far. Neither are big enough to make much of a splash in the "Unlimited Class", but it'll be fun trying. Looking forward to seeing you guys again.

Click image for larger version  Name:	1.jpg Views:	12 Size:	173.0 KB ID:	1431640 Click image for larger version  Name:	20191103_180413 (2).jpg Views:	12 Size:	509.2 KB ID:	1431641

Click image for larger version  Name:	1.jpg Views:	11 Size:	230.4 KB ID:	1431642 Click image for larger version  Name:	7.jpg Views:	11 Size:	247.4 KB ID:	1431643

Those look really nice. I wouldn’t worry about their size. Last year those nebulous spiral things were relatively small but sounded great. I think they used that same little peerless tweeter, which I was a big fan of as well.

Comment

• Kevin K.
                    Kevin K. commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks Dynamo! I'm not worried, just going to have some fun. That and to see some of the guys reactions, thinking either of these will raise some eyebrows considering their size.

Name:	Array.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	161.1 KB
ID:	1431158

I'll post a pic to start, this is an array using 8 of the TCP115-8 4" woofers and a RSS silk tweeter along with two designer series 10" PR's per cabinet. No DSP... this will be all passive. Cabinets mostly done, crossover work to begin soon.

TomZ
                  Looking forward to hearing these Tom! Will you be shading the woofers as they move up the curve (similar to a CBT array)?

I'm sure you've done the calculations, how do these compare when you add up the surface area of all the drivers, equivalent to 12" or 15" woofer? Not sure how low these will play but I'm guessing you'll feel em!

My "No-Name" CC Speaker
                  Kerry's "Silverbacks"
                  The Archers
                  The Gandalf's

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin K. View Post

Looking forward to hearing these Tom! Will you be shading the woofers as they move up the curve (similar to a CBT array)?

I'm sure you've done the calculations, how do these compare when you add up the surface area of all the drivers, equivalent to 12" or 15" woofer? Not sure how low these will play but I'm guessing you'll feel em!
                    I don't plan to do any shading at this point. I need a few uninterrupted days to mess with it, but I'm hoping for a very simple crossover. My main goal is to have fun with this and not take it too seriously.

you know, I thought 8 of these things would have more swept surface area, but it appears to have about the same swept volume as a good 10 inch woofer. Preliminary testing with one speaker does yield a punchy type of bass that you can feel in the chest though.

I've said it before, but I really like the look of those Peerless speakers. I think the angles and proportions are just right.

I hope to see them in person in a few months! July will be here before we know it!

Eileen and I are planning on combining our MWAF trip with a visit to Kentucky to see the Corvette museum in Bowling Green and hopefully the factory tour now that we have a rear engined corvette in production. That's added incentive for me!

TomZ

*Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
                    *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

• dynamo
                      dynamo commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Highly recommend the museum and especially the factory tour. Hopefully the tour is back up and running after the retooling.

I don't plan to do any shading at this point. I need a few uninterrupted days to mess with it, but I'm hoping for a very simple crossover. My main goal is to have fun with this and not take it too seriously.

you know, I thought 8 of these things would have more swept surface area, but it appears to have about the same swept volume as a good 10 inch woofer. Preliminary testing with one speaker does yield a punchy type of bass that you can feel in the chest though.

I've said it before, but I really like the look of those Peerless speakers. I think the angles and proportions are just right.

I hope to see them in person in a few months! July will be here before we know it!

Eileen and I are planning on combining our MWAF trip with a visit to Kentucky to see the Corvette museum in Bowling Green and hopefully the factory tour now that we have a rear engined corvette in production. That's added incentive for me!

TomZ
                    Simple is good, I'm sure they will sound fantastic!

Thanks man and I'm right there with you. Aesthetically, the Peerless cabinet shape wins (between the two designs), and they look and feel right at home on a desktop.

The Corvette museum sounds cool! That new mid-engine Vette is no slouch, would be awesome to tour the factory floor of that also. Hope you guys get to do it.
                    My "No-Name" CC Speaker
                    Kerry's "Silverbacks"
                    The Archers
                    The Gandalf's

Comment

Won't be able to make it, conflicts with a camping trip already planned. Good thing is I'll be able to take the Wyrmlings along for some lower db listening.

Comment

Family gathering just landed on the following weekend, so I'll be there this year. At minimum I'll have the SuperNova Minimus that went around InDIYana and Grand Rapids last year, this is their first chance to visit Dayton.

My first project this year is to re-build my basement shop after tearing it out for a waterproofing re-do. Currently I have a hell of a time finding anything since it's all packed in various boxes and don't have any good workbenches available to actually do stuff. That really pumps the breaks on several projects in queue with parts already on hand: A bluetooth box for the daughter, my 3 way design dubbed the Anarchists, and an updated enclosure for my living room sub.
                        Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
                        Wogg Music
                        Published projects: PPA100 Bass Guitar Amp, ISO El-Cheapo Sub, Indy 8 2.1 powered sub, MicroSat, SuperNova Minimus

Comment

Working...
                        X