Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3-Way AMT XO in VituixCAD am I doomed to fail or is this going to work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3-Way AMT XO in VituixCAD am I doomed to fail or is this going to work?

I'm looking to see if I'm on the right track for this crossover. Drivers are all Dayton Audio (ESoteric 5 1/2" Woofer / AMT3 Mid / AMT2 Tweeter). I know that speaker placement and box will have a lot to do with how it all works together. But the question remains am I on the right track with this or am I going down a path of cash destruction? Can I trust the software or do I relay need to build the speakers, buy a mic and test the drivers first? I'm new to XO design and don't relay know if I'm missing something here. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Nope (not good).

You must've not noticed your "summed impedance" curve in your impedance window. It's that LOWest (grey) plot. It shows an impedance below 1ohm across the board (until you get waay up into the top octave where it rises closer to 1.5 ohms). This is a result of putting your filter "shunts" (to ground) out "in front" of the series components (on the AMP side - on the left).

On the woofer: move the "Zobel" (RC shunt) over to the right, next to the driver.
    On the tweeter: move THAT shunt also over next to the driver.
    On the mid: you need to use a SERIES coil & cap inline w/the mid to make a usable "bandpass" filter, not just their shunt components.

Now go back and fiddle around w/your parts' values 'til you get similar filter profiles to what you had before (now that your impedance issues are solved).
    I THINK you'll need 2nd orders on the mid's bandpass filter, and you have NO baffle-step compensation in your response curve.

Comment

Klexart, keep on struggling. You are not alone. I also am trying to learn VituixCAD and crossover design. It makes me feel like a toddler trying to tune some fuel mapping on a blown Supra. Lots of stuff I don't get or understand why. I want to make a 'vintage' 3 way speaker for my brother. He has an old Sansui monster receiver that I would like him to be able to use again. Hang in there and good luck!

Comment

Just for fun, took a try to see what I could come up with. Simple crossover that might serve as a starting point.

Click image for larger version

Name:	AMT SPL.png
Views:	145
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	1431958
        Click image for larger version

Name:	AMT FR.png
Views:	151
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	1431959

Comment

You have no baffle-step compensation there?

Comment

Thank you for the input everyone! I am going to take another stab at this hopefully in the next week. Few questions:

Chris, If the tweeter and mid are mounted in spheres would i still have to account for baffle-step?

In the example that Bac2010 posted would you want the resisters before or after the other components?

Should i also be adding X, Y, Z locations for my drivers if i know them? If so is there an easy way to determine the Z axis location?

Thanks again for taking the time to help me out!

Comment

Working...
            X