OT computer issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT computer issue

Lately I have been getting a message on my computer (W7) that I don't have permisssion to shut down the computer! Any help out there?

Better not then, if you don't have the proper permission
    Francis

Comment

Seriously, have you screened it for malware?
      Francis

Comment

Looks like this is happening to many Windows 7 users. Here is some help:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/window...ing-computers/

Comment

Very odd that it suddenly cropped up. Something must have changed.
          Francis

Comment

You can use "Task Manager" to shut down apps & "processes" that are running, then just push the button. (These kinds of things should NOT happen to peeps who buy omputers, obviously!)

Comment

I've had another problem: every time I turn on the computer since W7 support ceased, on I get a 'check disk' message and the damned thing then checks the whole C-drive. Even on a SSD this takes ages.

I haven't found a fix for this, except for immediately pressing a key as soon as the message appears.

Geoff

Comment

There's no such thing as coincidence...
                www.billfitzmaurice.com
                www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Whenever nonsense like that shows up on your computer, hold the power key continuously till a hard shutdown.
                  Then try a normal startup in a minute or so. If it's a laptop just pop out the battery.

You won't do any harm, when the power goes out it's fine, right?
                  What you're doing is getting rid of whatever showed up since your last startup.

If this doesn't do it, shut down hard and start without extensions(whatever your system calls that)
                  and look through your extensions first, then other files, by date, and ditch whatever you aren't sure of since your last startup.
                  Then start it up again.

Just do't do a normal restart, when it shuts itself down it saves all the new stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff Millar View Post
                    I've had another problem: every time I turn on the computer since W7 support ceased, on I get a 'check disk' message and the damned thing then checks the whole C-drive. Even on a SSD this takes ages.

I haven't found a fix for this, except for immediately pressing a key as soon as the message appears.

Geoff
                    Geoff there is a control in Windows that selects run checkdisk on startup, not sure I remember where I've seen it, maybe on the screen that comes up if windows shuts down improperly and it asks if you wants to restart in normal or safe mode.

Comment

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
                      There's no such thing as coincidence...
                      Bill, according to my organic chemistry professor back in the 70s, this would come under the 4th law of thermodynamics: "The perversity of inanimate objects will always get you in the end."

Comment

When all this stuff starts happening on what by all accounts is pretty large scale right after W7 support ends I don't need a chemistry professor to confirm that I detect the scent of rat.
                        www.billfitzmaurice.com
                        www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Get Linux !

Comment

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
                            When all this stuff starts happening on what by all accounts is pretty large scale right after W7 support ends I don't need a chemistry professor to confirm that I detect the scent of rat.
                            Yeah, exactly. I wonder if there's some behind the scenes hack going on.
                            Francis

Comment

It does smell doesn't it?

Comment

Working...
                              X