OT computer issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skatz View Post

Geoff there is a control in Windows that selects run checkdisk on startup, not sure I remember where I've seen it, maybe on the screen that comes up if windows shuts down improperly and it asks if you wants to restart in normal or safe mode.
    Thanks, I'll check it out: still happening this morning......and last night.....giving me the toms.

Geoff

Comment

If this (check disk) just started happening then there is also a possibility your hard drive is failing. There are some decent free software programs for verification if you suspect this is the case.

https://smallbusiness.chron.com/comp...tup-57204.html

Cloning to a new hard drive is not that bad using a decent backup software package. I did it for my wife's laptop to go from 250 GB SSD to 1TB SSD.

Comment

I had a chronic check disc problem years back, too long ago to remember what OS I was using or how I fixed it. I do know that it wasn't a failing disk, as I've never had one fail.
        www.billfitzmaurice.com
        www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Geoff

I found a site, neosmart.net where there are instructions for doing a lot of things with chkdsk, and in the windows 10 section, instructions for ending it if it runs all the time. Not sure what operating system you have, but you may find answers there. Good luck.

Comment

I know failures are uncommon but we got bit twice. Once on a regular (spinning) hard drive which we paid to have fixed and they other was a fairly new SSD which was replaced under warranty. I upgraded the replaced SSD to a bigger better one and it has been solid.

Comment

Thank you all for your suggestions, much appreciated

I let the Check Disk thing run again and it didn't find anything wrong; it's a four month old SSD which I installed after the old conventional C-drive failed.

So I re-started the machine and I got the Check Disk message again - I'll check out your advisories and let you know what gives as I expect others may be having this issue

Cheers

Geoff

Comment

I saw a story this morning about the Win7 shutdown issue.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/windows-7...m_medium=title

These are the steps suggested in the story:

1. Create another admin account, log into it
                2. Log into the default admin account again
                3. Shut down or restart as usual

Quick Heal, an IT support company, announced another option for users running into this bug. Take these steps if you're not satisfied with the temporary workaround:

1. Press 'Windows' and 'R' keys together to open a run window
                2. Type 'gpedit.msc' and click 'OK'
                2. Go to 'Computer Configuration' > 'Windows Settings' > 'Security Settings' > 'Local Policies' > 'Security Options'
                4. In the right-side panel, double-click 'User Account Control: Run all administrators in Admin Approval Mode' and select 'Enable'
                5. Reopen the run window and type 'gpupdate /force'
                6. Shut down or restart as usual
                Bill Schneider
                -+-+-+-+-
                www.afterness.com/audio

Comment

Yup, it's a bug in Windows 7. MS will likely roll out a fix.

FWIW, I don't shut down my Windows 10 desktop PC unless I really have to. I lock the screen and I let it go to sleep on its own. Power utilization is at a minimum, and it wakes up almost immediately when I press a key on the keyboard or move the mouse.
                  Brian Steele
                  www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

Working...
                  X