Tang Band W6-1139SI 6-1/2" Subwoofer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tang Band W6-1139SI 6-1/2" Subwoofer

I have 4 of these sitting on a shelf. Can someone point me to a PR design since port length has always been an issue? TIA
    Audiophiles listen to the equipment, not the music.

Or you can build a slot port, as I did. Let me know if you need specifics.

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
    "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
    SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
    My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

I used one on a larger box and a port was not problem. My box was part of a soundbar so I had ample width to fit the 15” port with an elbow. It sounds great.

Comment

There's a tapped horn design for it on Volvotreter

Comment

My last -1139 sub used a 0.64 cf box: 8.5"h x 16.5"w x 12"d.
          I laid a 2" "Precision Port" in there sideways (the longest dim.) using its full 11" of length, and placed the driver and SA70 amp appropriately for clearance.
          Fb and F3 in the low 30s.

If you'd prefer a more "cubic" approach (and don't know how to model a PR), tell me your PR of choice and I'll model it for you.
          That W6 seems to like a box between about 0.6cf to 0.9cf. It's easier to fit a port in a larger box - as the port length also shortens up (as was stated).

Comment

• stephenmarklay
            stephenmarklay commented
            Editing a comment
            That is interesting… I think mine was close to .6cf but I remembered that as being larger than what I thought was optimal I am just be remembering it wrong too

I found it works in anything from 0.4 to 3.0ft^3. The problem with the PR alignments is finding an appropriate PR that will work well with this beast. The 8" DS215-PR is not up to the task; single overloads, and 2-3 can't tune low enough in the boxes required. You need to use the 10" in that series for the bare minimum.

I don't know of an official PR design for the 1139 that has held sway.
          Later,
          Wolf
          "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
          "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
          "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
          "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
          http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

• stephenmarklay
            stephenmarklay commented
            Editing a comment
            That explains why I was having problem getting a PR design that looked decent.

Well, the DS270-PR looks okay (in 0.60cf) IF it can take +140g (not sure that it can)?
          And a pair of DS215s SEEMs good (in 0.80cf) w/75g added to each.

Comment

The Tenacious Bass 6 and 8 Subwoofers | Parts Express Project Gallery

Comment

And didn't Darren Kuzma do something with four of them a long time ago? I think it was called 'Boogieman" or something like that. I thought it used slot vents and was fairly flat shaped.

TomZ

Here it is: http://projectgallery.parts-express....the-boogieman/
              Not a PR alignment, but might help give you ideas.
              *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
              *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

I had some on hand a few years ago that I put in the doors of the wife's car. It might not have been ideal loading but they sounded a lot better than the OEM.
                www.billfitzmaurice.com
                www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Originally posted by tomzarbo View Post
                  And didn't Darren Kuzma do something with four of them a long time ago? I think it was called 'Boogieman" or something like that. I thought it used slot vents and was fairly flat shaped.

TomZ

Here it is: http://projectgallery.parts-express....the-boogieman/
                  Not a PR alignment, but might help give you ideas.
                  That's where these 4 came from. I built it for an under-the-bed sub. But we ended up getting a platform bed that made it unusable. After it sitting a few years, I just scrapped the enclosure.

Comment

Thanks to all for the responses!!

Comment

Originally posted by steve henry View Post

that's where these 4 came from. ...
                      lmao.

Comment

I built the Cerberus 12 inch OD cube sub which uses this driver but was unhappy with it as designed because of excessive port noise. Following the suggestions of some folks here on Tech Talk, I replaced the port with the the 10 inch DS270 PR with 180 grams of additional weight. I was worried about using that much weight, but was told by PE tech support that it was OK. The result sounds very good, has an output of 100db before reaching the PR Xmax of 11mm and models an F3 of 31Hz.

Comment

Originally posted by Drjay View Post
                          I built the Cerberus 12 inch OD cube sub which uses this driver but was unhappy with it as designed because of excessive port noise. Following the suggestions of some folks here on Tech Talk, I replaced the port with the the 10 inch DS270 PR with 180 grams of additional weight. I was worried about using that much weight, but was told by PE tech support that it was OK. The result sounds very good, has an output of 100db before reaching the PR Xmax of 11mm and models an F3 of 31Hz.
                          Hi,
                          I am just curious , "How do you add MASS to a Passive driver?" Please elaborate. Maybe easiest way take an image and write a few notes explaining. Thks.

Comment

Working...
                          X