Talk To Me About Your THT Builds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talk To Me About Your THT Builds

Has anyone here ever built one of Bill Fitzmaurices designs? I was thinking about building a THT, Table Tuba, or Titan. Door to my basement is 29.5” wide with the jambs so I am thinking a 28” wide design is optimal.

- What are your thoughts on performance?

-Can they be run with a regular plate amp for a subwoofer?

​​​​​​—Do they require special EQ equipment/amps?

-How did they sound?

-What are the ideal 15” drivers to use, are there affordable options? Best options (money aside).

I am looking for intense musical punch and slam rather than really low performance.
    YO

I built a Table Tuba, still use it. It looks like a table. It has 2 MCM 8" woofers, the ones that look like TB W8-740s. I can run them series or separate with a stereo amp. Currently series for 8 ohms on an Outlaw 200 watt monoblock. No equalization, I measured with a Radio Shack meter and found the response acceptable at my listening position. It can make things rattle. It works fine at 80 hz to 3 S2000 MTMs.

No desire for another HT sub.

Tons of info on THT and other HT horn subs at AVSforum.

Comment

Most plate amps will have adequate low-pass for Bill's home designs, but many lack a real high-pass for your mains/sats(nothing to do with Bill's designs).

Just something to keep in mind, your mains/sats can play much cleaner and louder when freed from trying to do the bottom octaves.

You should read some build logs on Bill's forum, you'll get a good feel for all the ways to use them.

That 8" MCM is amazing for the price, if you upgrade later you will spend a lot for moderate gains.

Comment

I built a pair of the long version of THTs with the RSS390HFs - really really awesome for home theater even with modest power. I don't use any eq with them but cross them to my mains at about 70Hz just using the built-in sub crossover in my Oppo BDP-103. They are really big - very low WAF, so I'm lucky to have a dedicated HT room my wife cares nothing about. I believe I read on Bill's site that he recommends the Table Tuba for music use. I would agree that the THTs are overkill for music - I stick with a pair of 15" H-frame dipoles for that purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by kclb1540 View Post
          I built a pair of the long version of THTs with the RSS390HFs - really really awesome for home theater even with modest power. I don't use any eq with them but cross them to my mains at about 70Hz just using the built-in sub crossover in my Oppo BDP-103. They are really big - very low WAF, so I'm lucky to have a dedicated HT room my wife cares nothing about. I believe I read on Bill's site that he recommends the Table Tuba for music use. I would agree that the THTs are overkill for music - I stick with a pair of 15" H-frame dipoles for that purpose.
          Thank you for responding to my post. I think I will build a pair of THT’s regular configuration, 28” wide with the Dayton RSS390HF. I would rather overkill it than be wanting more or have to do another project. I really just need them to augment the 20-60hz region. I was thinking two Dayton 500w subwoofer amps, but was also wondering if something like a Behringer/Crown pro amp would work with a simple lowpass filter. That way I would have the amp handy if I ever wanted to use it for anything else rather than just sub amps.
          YO

Comment

Working...
          X