Tenshi Zaph Audio woofer and SB Acoustics tweeter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tenshi Zaph Audio woofer and SB Acoustics tweeter

Tenshi is Japanese for angel and as these are for my niece, aptly named. I build speakers for each of my nieces and nephews for graduation presents. They pick the color scheme and I do the rest. This time she chose an aqua color and glitter lol

This time, I chose the Zaph Audio ZA14W08 woofer and SB Acoustics Sb26stnc tweeter. Both were already in my inventory of components. I chose an enclosure size that is large enough for bass extension to at least 60hz but still small enough for a desk or bookshelf. To that end I also chose to keep bsc to about 4db vs a more typical 6db.

The enclosures are constructed of 1/2" Baltic birch ply with a side to side brace. The measure in at 11"H 7.5"W 9"D for a volume of 0.3 cf, 8.5L and with a 1.5" ID port x 3.25" L for an Fb of 60hz. DATS measurements confirmed the tuning to be dead on. F3 is about 55hz iirc

The crossover is straightforward and very simple. 5 components and a crossover point of about 1.9khz. For more bsc, a 3mh inductor and 7ohm resistor could be used. Note there is a mistake and on the schematic as the tweeter should be normal polarity.

On to the pics!

https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Originally posted by isaeagle4031 View Post
    Tenshi is Japanese for angel and as these are for my niece, aptly named. I build speakers for each of my nieces and nephews for graduation presents. They pick the color scheme and I do the rest. This time she chose an aqua color and glitter lol

This time, I chose the Zaph Audio ZA14W08 woofer and SB Acoustics Sb26stnc tweeter. Both were already in my inventory of components. I chose an enclosure size that is large enough for bass extension to at least 60hz but still small enough for a desk or bookshelf. To that end I also chose to keep bsc to about 4db vs a more typical 6db.

The enclosures are constructed of 1/2" Baltic birch ply with a side to side brace. The measure in at 11"H 7.5"W 9"D for a volume of 0.3 cf, 8.5L and with a 1.5" ID port x 3.25" L for an Fb of 60hz. DATS measurements confirmed the tuning to be dead on. F3 is about 55hz iirc

The crossover is straightforward and very simple. 5 components and a crossover point of about 1.9khz. For more bsc, a 3mh inductor and 7ohm resistor could be used. Note there is a matistake and on the schematic as the tweeter should be normal polarity.

On to the pics!
    That’s very cool tradition. I love the color. This will be the envy of her friends. I bet they sound fantastic.

Comment

sweet....what sort of prep do you need to do to get a finish like that with ply?

Comment

Originally posted by 3rutu5 View Post
        sweet....what sort of prep do you need to do to get a finish like that with ply?
        I sand to 220grit using a block wider than the panels. Then multiple coats of primer, sanding between coats. Then spray applying 2 light coats at a time. After each double coat, allow cure time for a few hours.

The finish here is far from perfect. However I am also applying layers of glitter spray with seal coats in between. Once cured, I will wet sand to 1000grit and apply 2 more coats of seal.

Comment

Labor of love, for sure.

The smile on her face will be worth it . . .

Comment

Do you use high fill auto primer or something else?

Comment

That's really nice for rattlecan paint. Gold glitter?

Comment

Very cool! Bet they will sound great! Where do you get the spade connectors for the crossover boards?

Comment

Yes, high build automotive primer.

Glitter is in layers. gold, silver, and black.

The terminals are from Meniscus.

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

Nicely done, those will look very cool when they are done. That Zaph woofer gets a lot of praise for its low distortion and you have used the SB tweets quite a few times, so I'm sure this will sound VERY nice.

Comment

Thanks for that Scott. I actually wasn't sure i would like the Zaph woofer. The other titim I have heard it, I didn't care for it as much. Might have been a product of the crossover, placement, etc. but I decidedly to give it a try and am really liking what it is capable of here

Comment

Few more pics. 2 coats of glitter and 4 coats of clear pearl finish.

Comment

Final pics. I used a handful of loose fill behind the woofer. Fired them up on the system and played a variety of music. Some CD, some streaming via Spotify and BT. These will be used with an FX Audio BT amp.

They really suprised me on some tracks with more bass than I was expecting. As I said previously, I used a little less bsc due to the eventual placement (next to a tv or on a bookshelf) so sitting out in the room, they are a little thin. With that in account, I was not judging them on how low they played. Integration and imaging are much more critical imo and the Tenshi did very well in both. Placement of voices and instruments is well defined and solid. After an hour or so of listening, I did not sense fatigue but I may add a little more resistance to the tweeter to tilt the upper response down just a bit. Maybe 1 to 1.5ohm. Personal preference, nothing more. With compressed files, they are great as is.

Comment

Nice build. I appreciate quality drivers with a simple crossover. Great gift.

Comment

Working...
                              X