Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• panel mount RCA connector (and others) question

Hi,

I have a few RCA connector that are panel mounts. I will mount them in a metal chassis and I really don't know where the washers go.

In picture number two, you can see: 1 is the nut, 2 is a nylon washer, 3 is the ground connector and 4 is another nylon washer... my guess is the ground sits between the washers on the inside of the chassis.

The same situation occurs with some binding posts... I have mounted tons in MDF but now is a metal chassis and I don't want to short or ground something it is not supposed to.

Thanks in advance for your help! Cheers

Attached Files

Nope. The washers are to insulate the connector from the chassis, reducing chances of ground loops. The tabbed washer for the ground connection goes outside the nylon washer between the nut and washer.
    Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
    Wogg Music
    Published projects: PPA100 Bass Guitar Amp, ISO El-Cheapo Sub, Indy 8 2.1 powered sub, MicroSat, SuperNova Minimus

Comment

Originally posted by wogg View Post
      Nope. The washers are to insulate the connector from the chassis, reducing chances of ground loops. The tabbed washer for the ground connection goes outside the nylon washer between the nut and washer.
      Thanks for your help! So the correct order, from left to right is 1-3-2-4 (chassis metal being between 2 and 4).

Comment

And you understand the hole needs to be as big as the shoulder on nylon washer #4 so it registers in the hole and isolates the connector from the chassis.

As far as binding posts, these cheap ones also isolate the posts from the chassis with shoulders on the plastic base pieces.

Gold Dual Binding Post Banana Jack

Comment

Originally posted by mga2009 View Post

Thanks for your help! So the correct order, from left to right is 1-3-2-4 (chassis metal being between 2 and 4).
          Bingo. As djg pointed out, make the whole large enough for that little lip in the plastic washer.
          Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
          Wogg Music
          Published projects: PPA100 Bass Guitar Amp, ISO El-Cheapo Sub, Indy 8 2.1 powered sub, MicroSat, SuperNova Minimus

Comment

Thanks to you all for the help! Will proceed accordingly.

Cheers!

Comment

Working...
            X