Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WinISD Screenshots - feedback requested . . . 1st attempt . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WinISD Screenshots - feedback requested . . . 1st attempt . . .

Good morning, all.

I have spent some time with WinISD, Latest (0.7.950, 29.10.2016) version.
    I selected 2 drivers for comparison and attempted to follow the instructions and build 3 Cabinets/Ports/Filters,etc, and would like some feedback concerning my configuration efforts - what am I missing?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lwhz2idytr...20sjl.docx=raw

I suspect my inability to tame the X-max-present on 1 of the woofers indicates that I either don't know how to do it or it is unsuitable for the application.

How do my filters look for subsonic and XO to tweeter around 2KHz?

From what I can gather, the Dayton RS180-4 woofer is going to be the best one of the 2 for the cabinet and I'd like to pair it up with a RST28F-4 tweeter and will need help with that eventually.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Steve.

Forget using WinISD for the upper response. It is only using the TS parameters to model bass alignment. It does not take frequency response into account at all for this purpose.

The Xmax looks fairly typical. A 1 cu ft enclosure is on the large side for a 7" driver and will contribute to higher excursion as well. 0.75 cu ft is more of the norm here.I would also increase the series resistance to at least .5 ohms to account for the woofers inductor in the eventual crossover as well. That small amount will effect the bass alignment as it raises Qes.
    https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

FWIW, I certainly have not modelled them all, and others may have used them successfully, but I have yet to find a Goldwood driver that I actually wanted to use. JMHO

Comment

Originally posted by isaeagle4031 View Post
        Forget using WinISD for the upper response. It is only using the TS parameters to model bass alignment. It does not take frequency response into account at all for this purpose.

The Xmax looks fairly typical. A 1 cu ft enclosure is on the large side for a 7" driver and will contribute to higher excursion as well. 0.75 cu ft is more of the norm here.I would also increase the series resistance to at least .5 ohms to account for the woofers inductor in the eventual crossover as well. That small amount will effect the bass alignment as it raises Qes.
        Thanks for that - I am making adjustments and learning as I go.

Comment

Do you already have this 1.0cf box w/a 3"id x 10" long port?

While I don't care for the +2dB "hump" on your RS180 tuning, ultimately the RS driver (w/30% more Xmax) should perform better.
          This is the 2nd time you've talked about "taming the Xmax" - I don't believe you understand that at all / OR / you're not describing it properly to us?

Comment

I think we have been talking about two different cabinets Chris - My fault.

The Goldwood and XO mods we were discussing are in approx 0.50 cu ft cabinet right now.

I had intended to move those speakers/XO into a .85 ~ 1.0 cu ft enclosure in the future because I really need a front firing port in my system as I am up against the wall and under a shelf with my mains.

The more familiar I become with WinISD the more I realize that the Goldwood is just not suitable for the .85 cu ft suggested on the PE website.

The RS driver is really only good up to a box size of 0.560 cu ft tuned to 38 Hz.

Sorry for the confusion.

Comment

I'd use the RS180-4 in 1.0cf tuned to 34Hz.
              Why don't you think that would be okay?
              W/25w RMS it'll play most recorded music near 100dB/m.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukk View Post
                FWIW, I certainly have not modelled them all, and others may have used them successfully, but I have yet to find a Goldwood driver that I actually wanted to use. JMHO
                Low end Goldwoods work pretty well, especially in herds.The more expensive models aren't competitive.
                www.billfitzmaurice.com
                www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
                  I'd use the RS180-4 in 1.0cf tuned to 34Hz.
                  Why don't you think that would be okay?
                  W/25w RMS it'll play most recorded music near 100dB/m.
                  My OCD said-so.

I was so fixated upon a tuning of 42 Hz . . . and then chasing my tail concerning the port velocity and then the port length (which is now 3" Dia X 14.21" . . .) sigh.

:D

I see the light, now.

Thanks.

Comment

You CAN use "elbows" on vents. Also, you MIGHT be able to get by using a 2" port (only 6" long) IF you use a "Precision Port". They have LARGE flared ends which greatly help reduce "chuffing" even at higher port velocities.

Comment

Looks like I can just use some 2-1/2" sched 40 PVC pipe at 9.7 " in length as well.

The vent tubes subtract from cabinet volume so it is a really iterative process trying to nail down the cabinet dimensions . . . (I've been up all night playing with this - I just tossed the Goldwood speaker data out of the project, focused upon the RS180 and now it is all starting to make more sense).

Thanks for the info on the Precision Port - good to know.

Thanks again, Chris.

Comment

Depending on how precise you are trying to be, make sure to use the internal diameter of the PVC pipe for tuning in WinISD (check the real diameter vs nominal) and the outside diameter for calculating the volume being taken up from the internal cabinet.

Comment

The amount of volume used by the port is small enough in this case as to alter the tuning an insignificant amount. Account for the braces and as llon as you are within 5%, its good
                          https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

Yeah, most places won't carry 2-1/2" (white) plumbing pipe, but at least 2 of the home stores here DO have it in grey as electrical "conduit". Good stuff.

Comment

Working...
                            X