Bagby Kairos build - need feedback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fpitas View Post

The braces sub-divide the panels into smaller sections. Make those sections different sizes, to spread the panel resonances.
    Do you think this fares any better? I removed double walls from the sides, and the vertical brace - this should open up a lot more volume and reduce 'sections'. My build is going to be 0.75in MDF, will this be enough bracing to withstand a 200hz crossover point between midrange and woofer?
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by groker View Post

Do you think this fares any better? I removed double walls from the sides, and the vertical brace - this should open up a lot more volume and reduce 'sections'. My build is going to be 0.75in MDF, will this be enough bracing to withstand a 200hz crossover point between midrange and woofer?
      Well, the idea wasn't to reduce the number of sections so much as to make them vary in size. As a rule of thumb with 3/4" MDF I try to brace every 7 inches max, or closer.
      Francis

Comment

If your horizontal braces are at 10" - 10" - and 10" (on your bass module - vertically), it'd be better to stagger the distances some, like: 10" - 8" - & 12" (or 10" - 9" - & 11", even).

Comment

Just thought I had to share this lucidly-written white paper. It provides insight into a respected designer's thought process to develop a passive crossover design with nearly minimum-phase performance yet suppresses acoustic lobes far better than a pure first-order design. Made only possible with state-of-the-art drivers, of course. He does it through an asymmetrical crossover, with the tweeter rolling very high-up and shallowly, before ultimately Sarkari Result Pnr Status 192.168.1.1 steepening sharply below the XO point. This topology plus a slanted baffle creates a very interesting non-waveguide speaker. This is IMO what the pre-buyover Thiel people should have done - instead of stubbornly clinging onto minimum-phase first-order electrical XOs, shoot for something with no phase rotation and much better lobing behaviour as a middle ground.
          Last edited by 5af734377e; 04-10-2020, 11:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 5af734377e View Post

Just thought I had to share this lucidly-written white paper. It provides insight into a respected designer's thought process to develop a passive crossover design with nearly minimum-phase performance yet suppresses acoustic lobes far better than a pure first-order design. Made only possible with state-of-the-art drivers, of course. He does it through an asymmetrical crossover, with the tweeter rolling very high-up and shallowly, before ultimately steepening sharply below the XO point. This topology plus a slanted baffle creates a very interesting non-waveguide speaker. This is IMO what the pre-buyover Thiel people should have done - instead of stubbornly clinging onto minimum-phase first-order electrical XOs, shoot for something with no phase rotation and much better lobing behaviour as a middle ground.
            Hey, I knew a spambot named 5af734377e. Was that you?
            Francis

Comment

Working...
            X